Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 21st September 2013

Liked 1,453 Times in 324 Posts
An Amateur's Review of the OM-D E-M1

LCE Colchester held an OM-D E-M1 touch and try event today, as an amateur with a reasonably large collection of 4/3 lenses and accessories, I decided to take a look at Olympus’s latest offering.

I took my Olympus 50–200 (Non SWD) and my Sigma 150mm lens with me to test the focus speed of these lenses on the OM-D E-M1 with the MMF-3 adapter.

To be honest, my expectations weren’t too high despite the other reviews I’ve read however, I couldn’t have been more wrong.

As a user of Olympus E1 and E510 DSLR’s, I was very impressed by the speed the E-M1 focused the 50-200, I think it was at least as fast as my E510 focuses this lens, when I tried the Sigma 150 I was even more surprised as, despite being in a shop lit by fluorescent light on a fairly dull day, the E-M1 focused the lens quickly and smoothly. I tested the Sigma 150 on my E510 in better light conditions when I returned home, I’m now convinced that the E-M1 focuses the lens faster than my E510 does.

I also tried the camera with the native micro 4/3d’s 12-40 lens and was very impressed by the focus speed, the build of the lens and the overall ergonomics of the camera.

I was sceptical about the electronic viewfinder before seeing and handling the camera, I was pleasantly surprised by how effective, large and bright the viewfinder was.

When I arrived at LCE this afternoon I had no intention of being an early purchaser of the E-M1, I merely wanted to know if this camera and/or it’s successors would enable me to continue to use my range of 4/3 lenses, flashes and accessories when my E510 finally gave up the ghost or if I would have to make the decision to look at the alternative systems.

I’m very pleased to say that Olympus have produced a camera which appears to deliver what I would like and which will allow me to continue to use the lenses I already have whilst giving me the opportunity to expand if/when I find the need.

Despite my best intentions, I left LCE having pre-ordered an OM-D E-M1 with a 12-40 lens and I look forward to continuing using my current 4/3 kit with it when it arrives circa October/November.

I appreciate that this is a review by an amateur however, I hope this will be of interest and assistance to those of you who have not yet had the opportunity to try the OM-D E-M1 and are sceptical of buying into yet another Olympus system.

Dave
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to DavyG For This Useful Post:
Andel (22nd September 2013), benvendetta (21st September 2013), Chevvyf1 (21st September 2013), crimbo (22nd September 2013), David Morison (21st September 2013), Hemlockwood (21st September 2013), Jetset95 (22nd September 2013), Melaka (22nd September 2013), Phill D (22nd September 2013), rsh1960 (22nd September 2013), Shaw (22nd September 2013), Ulfric M Douglas (21st September 2013), Zuiko (21st September 2013)
Old 21st September 2013

Liked 325 Times in 157 Posts
Re: An Amateur's Review of the OM-D E-M1

Hi Dave

Thanks for your review.

I also visited LCE Colchester branch this morning. What a fantastic group of people. I was made very welcome and Claire Voyle and Dave were very knowable on Olympus and the OM-D E-M1. So a big thanks to them. There seemed quite a bit of interest in the 90 mins I was there. Claire already had the E-M1 set up for focus peaking and what a joy to use. I used it on the 50-500mm bigma outside on a tripod and the 50mmf2 on biscuits. The sugar just glistened when the focus came in.

I still have concerns about, battery life, the EVF lag and how well it will perform on CAF with BIF and at British Super Bike events. But the only way I shall find that out is to test it for myself. There are enough other features that are temping me at moment.

I got home and pre registered for the grip and MMF3. I shall be going away on holiday now and short of major disaster reviews shall be ordering from LCE Colchester.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 21st September 2013

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Very useful report Davy, thanks.
Old 21st September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
Hi Dave

Thanks for your review.

I also visited LCE Colchester branch this morning. What a fantastic group of people. I was made very welcome and Claire Voyle and Dave were very knowable on Olympus and the OM-D E-M1. So a big thanks to them. There seemed quite a bit of interest in the 90 mins I was there. Claire already had the E-M1 set up for focus peaking and what a joy to use. I used it on the 50-500mm bigma outside on a tripod and the 50mmf2 on biscuits. The sugar just glistened when the focus came in.

I still have concerns about, battery life, the EVF lag and how well it will perform on CAF with BIF and at British Super Bike events. But the only way I shall find that out is to test it for myself. There are enough other features that are temping me at moment.

I got home and pre registered for the grip and MMF3. I shall be going away on holiday now and short of major disaster reviews shall be ordering from LCE Colchester.
Thanks birdboy,

I'm sorry I missed you at LCE, I delberately waited until this afternoon before visiting, it proved worthwhile as I was the only one looking at the camera during the period I was there.

Like you, I was impressed by Claire and Dave, they were both very helpful and knowledgeable, I mentioned that I'd considered bringing my Bigma to try and Claire told me that someone had done so earlier in the day, I suspect that would have been you, I also used the biscuits as my subject with Sigma 150mm.

Dave informed me that he had 8 E-M1's on pre-order and that mine was the sixth order placed therefore, he had two left as at this afternoon, I hope you manage to get one of these.
Old 21st September 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
Very useful report Davy, thanks.
Thanks Ulfric.
Old 21st September 2013

Liked 295 Times in 147 Posts

Thanks Davy for the report, I have both of those lenses and that is just the hands on info I wanted to hear I'm sure others will too especially Chevvy.

I will now be placing my order, exciting times ahead for all of us taking a giant leap of faith.

Tom

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
Old 21st September 2013

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I was also there this morning - as a wedding shoter I was looking at whether I would be able to move completely to olympus - currently shoot omd for candids and people pics and D800 for portraits / moving shots and low light.

From my perspective and what I tried the AF issues are resolved - sure things will improve in future generations but usable now - had the 150 and 50-150 tracking people up and down the street and it was good and tracked and kept focus well.

It feels better in the hand than the e-m5 and the slightly larger buttons are better - really impressed with the AF selector system.

Will be a learning curve but planning to move over during the winter
Old 22nd September 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you Dave for sharing your experience with us. I am particularly interested in the 50-200 non SWD. I have the OM-1 on pre-order since day one with Olympus Canada and I have a brand new 14-54 II to go with. I guess the 50-200 will be next.

I had bought the 14-54 thinking of pairing it with an OM-5 but I could not resist the OM-1...

Carlo
Old 22nd September 2013

Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,298 Posts
Liked 2,339 Times in 1,111 Posts

Dave good to hear your views. I came away from the London event with much the same perspective. Pretty relieved actually as I'd actually gone and pushed the pre order button the night before
Old 22nd September 2013
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Thanks Dave. I had wanted to get to this event but it clashed with racing to which I was committed.

I'm delighted to hear your comments as I've already pressed the pre-order button.

cheers

Hec
Old 22nd September 2013

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
An Amateur's Review of the OM-D E-M1

I had a good play with 50 -200 non SWD focus issues of pen and OMd e-m5 resolved- focuses well had it out in a busy street and easily follows people walking towards you at speed and children playing.

Robin Wong has a very good piece on his blog with a video of different. 4/3 lenses focussing including SWD and non SWD 50-200