Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Events

Events Find out about and discuss events relating to the Olympus E-System.

Old 6th March 2012
Adam Easton

How disappointed was I!

Got up extra early this morning to go to Focus on image.

The plain. I would like to check out all the Olympus kit to see what will work best for us. For me I was interested in the E-5 as I would like a pro spec camera that is splash proof for when we go sailing and my wife is interested in a E-P3. Great! Go to the show, take a look at the kit ask all the question., great!

I arrive at the stand and no cameras. Some dancers but no cameras.

I turns out all they have is a couple of OM-Ds. Very nice but I am not really that interested but if that is all they have to offer then maybe I will take a look. I stand in a queue for a very long time. In the end I am handed an OM-D. Within seconds it was snatched away and handed to another guy, Who’s that, I asked. Press mate! The staff was not interested unless you was going to order the OM-D.

I suggested as a Camera company that some of the customers my be interest in seeing the odd camera. We haven’t got any was the reply.

I did have a look at canon stand and guess what! Cameras, No dancers but lots and lots of cameras I asked a very nice sales lady for some help and she showed me a very nice D7 with some lens and even my wife has picked here new camera and they have given me a list of deals for me to place my order.

Shame but an epic Fail
Old 6th March 2012

Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,299 Posts
Liked 2,340 Times in 1,112 Posts
Re: How disappointed was I!

Adam my experience couldn't have been more different. I got to the stand early about 10:15 when it was fairly quiet and stood around talking for a while with the sales staff and other interested users waiting for my turn to play with the OM-D. Had several minutes try of both the black camera with the grip and the silver one without the grip. There also seemed to be a few pens around as well. One of the sales guys gave us a really good demo of the art filter operation and the way you can view them on the camera as well as the general operation of the menus. Later in the day I came back out of curiosity for the two dance sessions. Boy were they busy couldn't get very close but I must say James and Ola were very professional excelent short dances and James was quite relaxed in chatting to the audience. After the second dance session as the crowds thinned I was able to ask one of the sales guys about the 4/3's adaptor and how it would work with 4/3's lenses when he promptly pulled one out of his pocket and handed me the OM-D to try. I spent several minutes trying my 14-150 PanLeica lens on it to check the AF performance back to back with the 14-50 kit lens. Although I wanted to be quick so that I didn't hog the camera I didn't feel rushed at any point by the sales guys. I agree that the other Oly cameras were conspicuous by their abscence which was a real shame and there were only two OM-Ds as far as I could see. Overall it was obvious that Oly had concentrated on the OM-D and the staff did a brillint job they were very helpful knowledgeable and friendly plus understandably definitely shattered at the end of the day. Sorry you had a different experience but I can't wait till next year. I hope they decide to follow up and attend again with more cameras to play with.
Old 6th March 2012

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

We had a good experience too (Sunday); I managed to get my hands on a Chrome OMD with 45mm lens, and a black one with the 'kit' lens. Also got to play with one of the Pens. Also spent at least 40 minutes talking to the staff. One thing I really liked was that the cameras were not tethered like on most other stands, so I could choose more realistic targets and move around a little.

It was a little disappointing not to see any 4/3rd's glass or the E-5, but I guess the day belonged to the OMD.

All in all we had a really good morning, and the OMD is better in real life that images depict. However, I was lured over to the Fuji stand to drool over the XPro 1
Old 6th March 2012

Liked 456 Times in 204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
...I was able to ask one of the sales guys about the 4/3's adaptor and how it would work with 4/3's lenses when he promptly pulled one out of his pocket and handed me the OM-D to try. I spent several minutes trying my 14-150 PanLeica lens on it to check the AF performance back to back with the 14-50 kit lens. ...
Phil,
So how did your 14-150 PanLeica lens behave when you tried it on the OM-D?
I have one of these splendid walkabout lenses and would be disappointed if it wasn't practical to use it (with the adaptor) on the OM-D.
Old 6th March 2012
Adam Easton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lane View Post
Also got to play with one of the Pens.
So there was some PENs there then!
Old 6th March 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,151 Times in 2,459 Posts
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Easton View Post
So there was some PENs there then!
Adam, sounds like you may have had rotten luck and visited the stand at an unfortunate moment when things were in disarray. I can understand how disappointed you must be.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 6th March 2012

Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,299 Posts
Liked 2,340 Times in 1,112 Posts

Chris I didn't really do anything other than have a brief play to be sure it would need someone to do a proper comparison. However, the feeling I got was that it worked ok but I don't think the af was as quick as on my E510. It seemed to flip once either side of focus then lock on whereas the 510 just seems to focus. I didn't have long enough to be very confident of the differences. It was pretty obvious that the new micro 14-50 kit lens was much quicker to focus though. The green focus squares flipping all over the place was a bit disconcerting as well. Just very different to my current OVF I guess, I really should have put it in fixed centre point af to get a better feel for it I suppose. So does it work? yes, is it quick enough? jurys out for me at the moment until I can try one out for a bit longer.
Old 7th March 2012
Adam Easton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Adam, sounds like you may have had rotten luck and visited the stand at an unfortunate moment when things were in disarray. I can understand how disappointed you must be.
It was very disappointing.

I was amazed at the lack of products.(not one DSLR Camera, No compacts, No ultra zoom) also with having some celebs on the stand it just fill the stand with people trying to get a photo with there can-nik's. they are not Olympus customers. I do get the feeling Olympus is not committed to the type of kit I am interested in.