Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 5th March 2019

Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts
Why is the E-M5 III running so late?

Why is the E-M5 III running so late and other Oly news from CP+ 2019 show.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/new...y-not-to-worry

Answer:

Quote:
because they were moving the bulk of their manufacturing from Shenzen to Vietnam
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Invicta For This Useful Post:
Bruce Clarke (5th March 2019), Greytop (5th March 2019), OM USer (5th March 2019), Zuiko (5th March 2019)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MikeOxon (5th March 2019), Phill D (5th March 2019), Ross the fiddler (5th March 2019)
Old 5th March 2019

Thanked 1,438 Times in 1,328 Posts
Liked 2,422 Times in 1,144 Posts
Re: Why the E-M5 III is running so late?

Yes I just read that too. Quite a good article I thought. I also liked the one on weather sealing too.
Old 5th March 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 6,007 Times in 1,955 Posts

Yes, I read that article last night myself. Interesting.

I'm sort of surprised that the cost of manufacturing is that much different between China and Vietnam though. Given the cost of the relocation it would have to be a huge difference. Taking the interviewer's analysis at face value, it seems that the relocation cost isn't just the cost of moving the factory (with all the retraining costs etc), but should also include lost opportunity and market share since it's clear to me that the E-M5ii is by competitor standards some way behind the curve now.

Maybe it'll all work out OK, but I'm beginning to wonder if this factory relocation is another Olympus corporate-level blunder. The impact on the past two years' financial statements is significant and if it's also caused loss of focus on key product sectors then someone should be asking difficult questions.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 5th March 2019

Liked 1,790 Times in 663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Yes, I read that article last night myself. Interesting.

I'm sort of surprised that the cost of manufacturing is that much different between China and Vietnam though. Given the cost of the relocation it would have to be a huge difference. Taking the interviewer's analysis at face value, it seems that the relocation cost isn't just the cost of moving the factory (with all the retraining costs etc), but should also include lost opportunity and market share since it's clear to me that the E-M5ii is by competitor standards some way behind the curve now.

Maybe it'll all work out OK, but I'm beginning to wonder if this factory relocation is another Olympus corporate-level blunder. The impact on the past two years' financial statements is significant and if it's also caused loss of focus on key product sectors then someone should be asking difficult questions.
Iím being horribly racist here, but do you think the perceived product piracy of the Chinese may have a bit to do with it, especially if there is a threat to the profitable medical products? Otherwise I agree moving a whole factory production from one country to another seems a massive financial burden that must take years to recoup.

Also given the Japanese - Chinese political relationship is not altogether great, maybe thereís some state aid involved?

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 6th March 2019

Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts

I think Olympus are extremely shrewd; they know like all good businesses that if they announce a new product, give details/dates, etc. then the profit margins obtained from their predecessors will plummet.

On the other hand, if they encourage (or don't correct) the belief that a particular model *cough the Pen-F is discontinued, then I believe as we are seeing that, that will keep the price arguably higher than if they had announced a replacement at the same time.
MF Lenses: Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.7 | 135mm f3.2 | Helios 58mm 44-6 | Olympus OM 50mm f1.8

My Flickr