Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 7th December 2007

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
good price?

just found this on E-bay, seems a good priceconsidering the 12-60 is included

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Olympus-DSLR-E...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 7th December 2007
Administrator

Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,278 Posts
Liked 1,754 Times in 791 Posts
Re: good price?

This is a camera supplied from Hong Kong. It's pictured with the HLD-4 grip but I don't see it mentioned in the details - which is a bit dodgy. There is a mention of 4GB internal memory and Memory Stick Duo support - neither of which is accurate.

I understand that Olympus will honour the warranty as they operate an international warranty scheme for DSLRs.

The Paypal payment protection only extends to 500, incidentally.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 8th December 2007
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
This is a camera supplied from Hong Kong. It's pictured with the HLD-4 grip but I don't see it mentioned in the details - which is a bit dodgy. There is a mention of 4GB internal memory and Memory Stick Duo support - neither of which is accurate.

I understand that Olympus will honour the warranty as they operate an international warranty scheme for DSLRs.

The Paypal payment protection only extends to 500, incidentally.

Ian
Very good points Ian. The resolution is also mis-quoted. Strange, most sellers will cut and paste data sheet info to ensure accuracy. Another thing to bear in mind is that the price may appear cheap but the camera could attract import duty/VAT.

PeterD
Old 8th December 2007
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Remember folks about the guy I mentioned several times already. His name is Ian Kerr, his online name is Kerso, and I am sure he will be registering on here very soon - I have mentioned this excellent site to him.

I have just purchased 3 x E-510's and the 70-300mm lens from him, and in the past have purchased my FL-50, all my filters and accessories from him.

Ian has an online eBay shop, but his prices are cheaper when dealt with directly as one avoids paypal charges.

All goods are shipped from Fife in Scotland, so one gets all benefits of purchasing in the UK. The only reason I didn't get my E-3 from him was that it was an on the spot decision to purchase... the Oly rep was in the store, I was on a camera outing with some friends from another site, and I thought what the heck - otherwise I'd have bought from him.

As an indication - price for E-510 twin lens kit on Park Cameras today is £639, mine from Ian cost £465 plus P&P. How's that for a massive saving.

I only spoke to him yesterday, and will drop him another line reminding him to register and introduce himself here.

I can personally vouch for him - he's excellent. I was introduced to him over on talk photography where many many users have purchased gear from him: not just Oly stuyff; Canon, Nikon kit and all manner of lenses.

Thought I'd share this as it might save you a few quid.

Old 8th December 2007
PeterD

Thumbs up Re: good price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Remember folks about the guy I mentioned several times already. His name is Ian Kerr, his online name is Kerso, and I am sure he will be registering on here very soon - I have mentioned this excellent site to him.

I have just purchased 3 x E-510's and the 70-300mm lens from him, and in the past have purchased my FL-50, all my filters and accessories from him.

Ian has an online eBay shop, but his prices are cheaper when dealt with directly as one avoids paypal charges.

All goods are shipped from Fife in Scotland, so one gets all benefits of purchasing in the UK. The only reason I didn't get my E-3 from him was that it was an on the spot decision to purchase... the Oly rep was in the store, I was on a camera outing with some friends from another site, and I thought what the heck - otherwise I'd have bought from him.

As an indication - price for E-510 twin lens kit on Park Cameras today is 639, mine from Ian cost 465 plus P&P. How's that for a massive saving.

I only spoke to him yesterday, and will drop him another line reminding him to register and introduce himself here.

I can personally vouch for him - he's excellent. I was introduced to him over on talk photography where many many users have purchased gear from him: not just Oly stuyff; Canon, Nikon kit and all manner of lenses.

Thanks for the above info. I shall keep my eye on this. Buying with confidence is the key and there is no better way than through trusted recommendations.

PeterD
Old 8th December 2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
Very good points Ian. The resolution is also mis-quoted. Strange, most sellers will cut and paste data sheet info to ensure accuracy. Another thing to bear in mind is that the price may appear cheap but the camera could attract import duty/VAT.

PeterD
Yes - I completely overlooked the import duty. That would make it virtually the same price as here in the UK.

I think the resolution is quoted correctly, but 11.8MP is the total pixel count, not the effective number.

Ian

Old 8th December 2007

Liked 959 Times in 371 Posts

Quote:

As an indication - price for E-510 twin lens kit on Park Cameras today is £639, mine from Ian cost £465 plus P&P. How's that for a massive saving.

Just checked out this guys site on ebay, prices do look favourable. I want an 18-180 oly lens, he is doing it for £285, nearest price from UK dealers is £319 from Digital Depot. And I want the new 50-200 lens too, plus the 70-300 Etc, Etc

Dave

Last edited by sapper; 8th December 2007 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling!!
Old 8th December 2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Just checked out this guys site on ebay, prices do look favourable. I want an 18-180 oly lens, he is doing it for 285, nearest price from UK dealers is 319 from Digital Depot. And I want the new 50-200 lens too, plus the 70-300 Etc, Etc

Dave
Dave, why not get one of the E-330s on eBay Derek highlighted for 299, incuding the 18-180. You then have a spare body or you can re-sell it.

Ian

Old 8th December 2007
Administrator

Quote:

As an indication - price for E-510 twin lens kit on Park Cameras today is 639, mine from Ian cost 465 plus P&P. How's that for a massive saving.

I must admit that I'm slightly nervous about this. Is he importing these cameras and paying the duty? Are the cameras he supplies US stock branded 'Evolt'?

And don't forget that Olympus UK is offering cashback offers on the E-410 and E-510 at the moment.

Ian

Old 8th December 2007

I wouldn't be nervous Ian, he has never had a cashback offer refused. I have just paid £229 for the 70-300mm and today it is listed as £299 on Park Cameras.

Old 8th December 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Dave, why not get one of the E-330s on eBay Derek highlighted for 299, incuding the 18-180. You then have a spare body or you can re-sell it.

Ian
Didn't see this Ian, it looks a bargain, wonder where he gets them at this price.
Dave.
Old 8th December 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
Didn't see this Ian, it looks a bargain, wonder where he gets them at this price.
Dave.
Just bought it.
I used this lens, (18-180) at the London Oly promos and was impressed with its size and weight, much lighter and smaller than my 50-200. I know the aperture is smaller and the quality may not be up to the standard of the 50-200 but it will be less effort to cart around. And now I have the E-3 with IS I won't need the f2.8 of the 50-200.
Dave.
Old 8th December 2007
beardedwombat

Quote:
I ordered, and was invoiced for, an Olympus FL-50R for 263 inc postage & Paypal charge from Ian Kerr on the 29th Nov. Today I received an FL-50 not the R model - very disappointing! I have put it in the post back to him this morning and emailed to ask if he has the FL-50R, I am awaiting a reply. I suspect it's a simple error but I'll let you know the outcome.
Chris
Old 8th December 2007
beardedwombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedwombat View Post
I ordered, and was invoiced for, an Olympus FL-50R for 263 inc postage & Paypal charge from Ian Kerr on the 29th Nov. Today I received an FL-50 not the R model - very disappointing! I have put it in the post back to him this morning and emailed to ask if he has the FL-50R, I am awaiting a reply. I suspect it's a simple error but I'll let you know the outcome.
Chris
I have had an email from Ian Kerr apologising for the error and promising to send me the FL-50R. He has also offered to send me an E-3 battery to cover my return postage cost which is a very nice gesture. Good to to business with someone who looks after their customers.
Chris
Old 9th December 2007

I thought Ian would do something like that, he really is a cracking dealer.