Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 6th July 2015
Kiwi Paul

The final show

Why do we spend loads of money on camera bodies, lenses, filters and god knows what else but when it comes to the final output device that will show the quality of all the pre mentioned, budget!!??

Surely it makes sense to spent as much on a printer as any camera item.

I print selected photos, frame them and hang them on my walls for a period then they are swapped out with the latest one.
I think if I'm going to all the bother of taking these photos I may as well show them off, decorate the house and let house guests see my work.
My Canon Pro9000 has done a fabulous job printing excellent A3+ prints but I've decided to go bigger and lashed out on the just released Epson P800 A2 printer, cheaper than the 40-150 lens so in perspective a good buy in my opinion. I'm looking forward to printing large, better then a new camera or lens I think
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Ralph Harwood (7th July 2015), Ross the fiddler (7th July 2015)
Old 7th July 2015

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,137 Times in 1,142 Posts
Re: The final show

It sounds like a great idea. I have prints that often don't make it up on the wall but should. I need to cut more mats for mounting too. I'm afraid I've done it cheap with a Canon printer (A4) that usually gives me a red cast that has to be doctored or a Samsung laser printer & that has produced some very pleasing prints (for some & if careful about colour & settings). A better printer might be possible next year as I have already well & truly overspent my allowance (not that I get an allowance) for this year.

PS One of my daughters now lives & works in your old home country now. Maybe it is the grass is greener in the other paddock thing.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 7th July 2015

Liked 729 Times in 487 Posts

I've been running an Epson R2400 for 10 years. It has some annoyances - the ink cartridges are small and expensive, and you have to swap the black cartridge when changing between matt and gloss papers. But quality is excellent.

It started playing up last year with missed paper feeds and ink leakage so I took it to an Epson approved service agent. They had difficulty sourcing the waste ink pads (like bits of blotting paper - they soak up excess ink and had filled up, hence the leaks) - not really surprising since it was 10 years old. It came back good as new and has performed faultlessly. I printed nearly everything for an exhibition on it and was well pleased with quality. If I give it a good file and good paper it makes a good print.

In particular it does good B&W, which many others don't. The slightest colour cast really sticks out on B&W whereas it is not so noticeable in colour. I compared some prints from it with some very expensive darkroom baryta prints and could hardly tell the difference. I have noticed that the Light Magenta cartridges are occasionally a bit random, but whenever I've had a dodgy one I've just taken it back and exchanged it.

There are a few people around who don't get on with Epsons. But when this one dies, presumably in another 9 years when the waste pads fill up again, I will be very happy to stick with them. Whether I will want the bulk of an A2 is debatable though!

John
Old 7th July 2015

Liked 142 Times in 89 Posts

Had my Epson 2880 for a few years and would echo John's experience, except I don't get casts in Mono on Hannemuhle Fine Art, Harman Baryta using generic printer profiles, but did with the old Ilford Gold Fibre Silk. My LRPS panel was printed on the 2880 on the Hannemuhle paper (A4).
(My Travels in Aus & NZ)
Old 7th July 2015
Kiwi Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikie John View Post
There are a few people around who don't get on with Epsons. But when this one dies, presumably in another 9 years when the waste pads fill up again, I will be very happy to stick with them. Whether I will want the bulk of an A2 is debatable though!
John
The P800 is only slightly larger than the Pro9000 A3+ printer I have so it's not too bulky, the wonders of technology lol.

Paul
Old 7th July 2015

Liked 729 Times in 487 Posts

Sounds like a micro 4/3rds printer. Except that someone will complain that printing bigger than 6 x 4 is not within the spirit of it......

John
The Following Users Liked This Post:
OM USer (7th July 2015), Ross the fiddler (8th July 2015)