Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 8th July 2019
drmarkf's Avatar
drmarkf drmarkf is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 5,613
Thanks: 357
Thanked 503 Times in 417 Posts
Likes: 2,200
Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts
Large gear rucsack

I'm looking for a large photo rucksack for some specific purposes, and am looking for any comments and suggestions. I've never used a big photo bag before.

It must fit within the BA carry-on limits (56 x 45 x 25cm / 22 x 18 x 10in) and it needs to carry 2 x M1ii bodies, 300 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-100 Pro, a wide and standard prime or two, assorted converters/filters/tubes/batteries/chargers, plus a mini laptop or iPad Pro, medication & valuables, a few spare clothes and other bits and pieces.

It must have a top opening to a compartment deep enough to hold a Mii/300/EC-14 pushed in vertically (this is for use on safari game drive vehicles). It needs to be strong enough to stand days of kicking around in dusty, crowded vehicles and buses.

It needs to be a comfortable carry on short hikes when loaded, and I have a reasonably long back.

I reckon I'll need something between 30 - 40 litres, and weight of the pack itself is not of great importance because BA has no hand baggage weight limit (although lighter is obviously better).

Having looked up the specs of the current ranges of bags from F-stop, Peak Design, Clik Elite, Manfrotto, Mindshift and Mountainsmith, I reckon the Lowepro ProTactic 350 or 450 AW II have the best balance of cost and boxes ticked for me.

I do have a range of photo inserts that I could use in a general rucksack, but I don't find the smaller general rucksacks I have at the moment very practically usable like this.

So, before I go off loaded with gear to a shop to try these out to see if I can get everything in the 350, does anyone please have any personal experience or other suggestions they could share?
__________________
Regards,
Mark

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 8th July 2019
OM USer's Avatar
OM USer OM USer is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Posts: 12,166
Thanks: 2,387
Thanked 1,508 Times in 1,436 Posts
Likes: 6,241
Liked 1,428 Times in 911 Posts
Re: Large gear rucsack

I have the proper backpack harness for my large Billingham. It is not as good as a dedicated backpack but you can't beat it for versatility and it opens up the choice to a more conventional bag that is rugged and more like the shape required for carry-on luggage. Having said all that if you are carrying 40L of stuff (and plenty of water) then you may want a backpack with a hip belt.
__________________
Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, M.ZD 40-150 F4-5.6 R, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OM USer For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (8th July 2019)
  #3  
Old 8th July 2019
Walti Walti is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 3,419
Thanks: 326
Thanked 223 Times in 190 Posts
Likes: 236
Liked 1,726 Times in 643 Posts
Re: Large gear rucsack

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
I'm looking for a large photo rucksack for some specific purposes, and am looking for any comments and suggestions. I've never used a big photo bag before.

It must fit within the BA carry-on limits (56 x 45 x 25cm / 22 x 18 x 10in) and it needs to carry 2 x M1ii bodies, 300 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-100 Pro, a wide and standard prime or two, assorted converters/filters/tubes/batteries/chargers, plus a mini laptop or iPad Pro, medication & valuables, a few spare clothes and other bits and pieces.

It must have a top opening to a compartment deep enough to hold a Mii/300/EC-14 pushed in vertically (this is for use on safari game drive vehicles). It needs to be strong enough to stand days of kicking around in dusty, crowded vehicles and buses.

It needs to be a comfortable carry on short hikes when loaded, and I have a reasonably long back.

I reckon I'll need something between 30 - 40 litres, and weight of the pack itself is not of great importance because BA has no hand baggage weight limit (although lighter is obviously better).

Having looked up the specs of the current ranges of bags from F-stop, Peak Design, Clik Elite, Manfrotto, Mindshift and Mountainsmith, I reckon the Lowepro ProTactic 350 or 450 AW II have the best balance of cost and boxes ticked for me.

I do have a range of photo inserts that I could use in a general rucksack, but I don't find the smaller general rucksacks I have at the moment very practically usable like this.

So, before I go off loaded with gear to a shop to try these out to see if I can get everything in the 350, does anyone please have any personal experience or other suggestions they could share?
Iíll sling my Lowepro in the boot of the car which is a fairly old one but will give you an idea of size and weight....
__________________

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Walti For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (8th July 2019)
  #4  
Old 8th July 2019
drmarkf's Avatar
drmarkf drmarkf is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 5,613
Thanks: 357
Thanked 503 Times in 417 Posts
Likes: 2,200
Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts
Re: Large gear rucsack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
Iíll sling my Lowepro in the boot of the car which is a fairly old one but will give you an idea of size and weight....
Excellent - thanks!
__________________
Regards,
Mark

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 8th July 2019
drmarkf's Avatar
drmarkf drmarkf is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 5,613
Thanks: 357
Thanked 503 Times in 417 Posts
Likes: 2,200
Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts
Re: Large gear rucsack

I should add that, until now, when traveling on long photo-related hols I've taken all my photo and other key items in a semi soft-sided, ultralight Osprey wheeled cabin bag. I protect the photo gear in neoprene/velcro wraps.

I also take a light Mindshift camera bag along (either a Panorama 180 or an Ultralight Dual) stuffed with socks, underwear etc inside my checked bag.

I may still stick with that arrangement: the M1ii/300/MC-14 fits OK vertically in the top of both Mindshift bags, and having a smaller backpack along is great for non-game drive photography days when you only need 1 body and 1 - 3 lenses.

However, some bush plane flights are very sticky about having fully soft-sided bags, and it would be good to explore the options. I could always take a smaller daybag along with the big rucksack in the same sort of way I do now.
__________________
Regards,
Mark

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 9th July 2019
wanderer's Avatar
wanderer wanderer is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Penicuik
Posts: 1,250
Thanks: 95
Thanked 115 Times in 100 Posts
Likes: 20
Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
Re: Large gear rucsack

Hi
This is what I use.
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/tamrac...kpack-1577939/
I carry similar to your list although I usually carry a flashgun too.
having used camera rucksacs for many years this is by far the most comfortable. Easy for long walks.
__________________
Duncan

Lots of toys.

Last edited by wanderer; 9th July 2019 at 07:04 PM. Reason: forgot attachment
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wanderer For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (9th July 2019)
  #7  
Old 9th July 2019
drmarkf's Avatar
drmarkf drmarkf is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 5,613
Thanks: 357
Thanked 503 Times in 417 Posts
Likes: 2,200
Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts
Re: Large gear rucsack

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
Hi
This is what I use.
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/tamrac...kpack-1577939/
I carry similar to your list although I usually carry a flashgun too.
having used camera rucksacs for many years this is by far the most comfortable. Easy for long walks.
Great, many thanks. I see thereís a slightly larger one in the range thatís within the size limits too.
Those also tick pretty much all the boxes, so Iíll see if I can find them to try.
__________________
Regards,
Mark

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 16th July 2019
Invicta's Avatar
Invicta Invicta is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Third rock from the sun
Posts: 1,020
Thanks: 66
Thanked 242 Times in 125 Posts
Likes: 18
Liked 82 Times in 47 Posts
Re: Large gear rucsack

Worth a look, it is a Kickstarter so time scales may not fit you. Claims to be airline compatible.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ak-kickstarter
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Invicta For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (16th July 2019)
  #9  
Old 16th July 2019
drmarkf's Avatar
drmarkf drmarkf is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 5,613
Thanks: 357
Thanked 503 Times in 417 Posts
Likes: 2,200
Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts
Re: Large gear rucsack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
Worth a look, it is a Kickstarter so time scales may not fit you. Claims to be airline compatible.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ak-kickstarter
Interesting, thanks. Yes, it does meet the BA requirements (thereís a huge amount of information on that page!).

I particularly like the way itís formed to oneís back, and the general adjustability.
__________________
Regards,
Mark

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 17th July 2019
drmarkf's Avatar
drmarkf drmarkf is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 5,613
Thanks: 357
Thanked 503 Times in 417 Posts
Likes: 2,200
Liked 1,277 Times in 726 Posts
Re: Large gear rucsack

For my Kenya trip in August Iíve decided to stick with my ďOsprey roll-on and Mindshift in the hold bagĒ arrangement, since the people Iím going with (Wild-Eye) charter whole bush planes for their dozen guests, and are fully relaxed about luggage.

I like the look of that Kickstarter bag, though, and may well support it.
__________________
Regards,
Mark

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Little and Large jdal Foto Fair 6 23rd November 2014 06:43 PM
Large Red Little Bee timmypreston Foto Fair 1 15th June 2014 10:08 PM
Little and Large OlyPaul Foto Fair 9 30th August 2013 09:16 AM
Little and Large OlyPaul Foto Fair 3 4th August 2013 09:20 AM
HELP! where would you get one of these...Large eye cup TRIPLEPOT Olympus E-1 4 14th February 2012 06:46 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:55 AM.


© The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2019, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger