Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 28th February 2010

Liked 542 Times in 380 Posts
Dynamic focus points and selection

When using the Dynamic diamond of focusing points have you ever detected a different focusing point apart from the central one.

I have been looking at a number of images taken using the dynamic diamond and all of then so far the central point is the point that has been used. These are all taken in Single AF mode.

Thanks for any comments
Old 1st March 2010

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Dynamic focus points and selection

If I remember rightly from my E-30 manual, it tries to use the centre focus point first and only uses one of the other points if it fails to focus using the centre one. And yes, I have seen my E-30 use other focus points - but not often I must admit.
Old 1st March 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I set my E-3 to the dynamic diamond, then it will use different focus points not just the centre one (although I prefer to choose the focus point rather than let the camera decide)
Old 1st March 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-3 View Post
If I set my E-3 to the dynamic diamond, then it will use different focus points not just the centre one (although I prefer to choose the focus point rather than let the camera decide)
Out of curiosity when you look through the viewfinder of the E-3 does the appropriate focus point (and not just the centre one) light up red to indicate which focus point has been used? It does this on the 3 focus points on my E410 / 510 but vaguely remeber being a bit baffled when I could only get the centre point on my uncles E3 to light up red despite specifying any of the other FPs and further - even though the middle focus point was the only one to ever light up on achieving a focus lock the camera was actually using the specified FP - which was confirmed by checking the exif (more specifically the co-ordinates of the FP used) contained in the exif with Phil Harveys Exif Tool) useful GUI for it here: http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/fot...xiftoolgui.htm.

Is this common E-3 behaviour or is his camera a black sheep?

I'm pretty sure this is the exact same question as DerekW asks above but asked in a slightly different way...
Paul.
Old 1st March 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts

The AF points can be set to light up or not on the E-3 - see the menus for AF options and AF Area Pointer on/off. Same with the E-30 and, presumably, the E-620.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 1st March 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Out of curiosity when you look through the viewfinder of the E-3 does the appropriate focus point (and not just the centre one) light up red to indicate which focus point has been used? It does this on the 3 focus points on my E410 / 510 but vaguely remeber being a bit baffled when I could only get the centre point on my uncles E3 to light up red despite specifying any of the other FPs and further - even though the middle focus point was the only one to ever light up on achieving a focus lock the camera was actually using the specified FP - which was confirmed by checking the exif (more specifically the co-ordinates of the FP used) contained in the exif with Phil Harveys Exif Tool) useful GUI for it here: http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/fot...xiftoolgui.htm.

Is this common E-3 behaviour or is his camera a black sheep?

I'm pretty sure this is the exact same question as DerekW asks above but asked in a slightly different way...
Paul.
Looks like Ian has already answered your question
Old 1st March 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I didn't know that you could turn off the focus point illumination - I've only ever played with an E3 for a few minutes and although nice didn't really make me want to replace the E410 or E510 TBH. I'm not sure that what Ian suggests answers the problem though - the problem was not that the FPs did or didn't light but more that whatever FP you choose or the camera chooses it was only ever the centre one that lit up in the viewfinder upon achieving a focus lock (unless thats what you were suggest the AF points illumination swich does Ian? - ie ON means the chosen AF point lights wheras OFF means that only the center point lights solely to confirm a focus lock ?). For example if you select the right most AF point then get a focus lock - the camera would use the right most focus point and report this in the exif but through the viewfinder it would only ever be the centre AF point that would illuminate red, put another way I've never seen any of the other 10 (or whatever it is on the E3) focus points light up to confirm a focus lock on a point other than the centre one and was curios whether this was normal?
Old 1st March 2010

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

less than 0.1% of the time - I know of 2 specific instances where I went back and checked what had happened in case my E3 had suddenly developed a focus problem! It was obvious why the camera had selected what it did and why it struggled with my requirement; it's also possible I half pressed the shutter a couple of times and this was it's second choice too - had I been paying attention I would have seen the choice it made but the camera wasn't to my eye at the time.

I shoot 99% of the time in Dynamic (diamond) - mostly CP but sometimes the ones left and right of centre.
Old 1st March 2010
Administrator

Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,280 Posts
Liked 1,758 Times in 793 Posts

I have just been playing and if all ten AF points are selected you can see which one the camera chooses to use as focus point.

I must admit that in diamond mode, only the centre one lights up when previewing focus, though they all light up when selecting the AF point pattern. The surrounding points are 'helper' points, so it may be more logical to light the centre point.

I don't know if the review image after you've taken the shot will show if a helper point was actually referenced for that shot - does anyone know?

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
I didn't know that you could turn off the focus point illumination - I've only ever played with an E3 for a few minutes and although nice didn't really make me want to replace the E410 or E510 TBH. I'm not sure that what Ian suggests answers the problem though - the problem was not that the FPs did or didn't light but more that whatever FP you choose or the camera chooses it was only ever the centre one that lit up in the viewfinder upon achieving a focus lock (unless thats what you were suggest the AF points illumination swich does Ian? - ie ON means the chosen AF point lights wheras OFF means that only the center point lights solely to confirm a focus lock ?). For example if you select the right most AF point then get a focus lock - the camera would use the right most focus point and report this in the exif but through the viewfinder it would only ever be the centre AF point that would illuminate red, put another way I've never seen any of the other 10 (or whatever it is on the E3) focus points light up to confirm a focus lock on a point other than the centre one and was curios whether this was normal?
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 1st March 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I have just been playing and if all ten AF points are selected you can see which one the camera chooses to use as focus point.

I must admit that in diamond mode, only the centre one lights up when previewing focus, though they all light up when selecting the AF point pattern. The surrounding points are 'helper' points, so it may be more logical to light the centre point.

I don't know if the review image after you've taken the shot will show if a helper point was actually referenced for that shot - does anyone know?

Ian

I thought there must have been a little more to it than a strange bug on just one E-3 - it's quite a while ago since we noticed it on my Uncles E-3 - so long ago infact that I can't honestly remember if it affected all the AF modes (I have a feeling it did since I'm sure I remember manually selecting an off centre AF point only for it to light up the centre still) - but it may have been just the diamond mode as you've found Ian - I'll have check that one out. It also may have been that long ago that the camera was still using firmware v1.3 too - which doesn't help, things may have changed since.

It's really not a major issue at all, especially for me, as a non E-3 user but it was a slightly confusing peculiarity not seen on either an E410 or E510 - to us it appeared at worst to be slightly inconistent with lesser models and at best nothing to ever give a thought to ever again as it made no difference to the camers functionality. Next time I handle the camera I'll do a bit more testing as it's got me curious.