Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 4th November 2009

Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Mini fun ...

Hope this is not too lowbrow?

Quite simple really :
- Block road with cars
- Camera on tripod
- B exposure of about 1 minute
- Run around cars with LED torch painting in the bits you want to see, trying to avoid pointing the torch at the camera. You can just see a person at the back of the white mini in the two mini shot.

The darkness covers a mutitude of sins, much easier than daylight.

Chris

Old 4th November 2009
JackBenedict

Re: Mini fun ...

This is the second time I have seen this done - not with cars last time, Ithink it was in a Graveyard if my memory serves me right.

I like it a lot,so much so I am thinking up what I can dreeam up to do next time.
Old 4th November 2009
EH1

Smile Re: Mini fun ...

I prefer the first picture.............I think it`s brilliant!
Old 4th November 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,504 Times in 2,141 Posts

I'm with Edward, the first picture is brilliant. Somehow the car looks almost extra terrestial. Mini from Mars?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4th November 2009

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

Love them both, the first one looks as good as an offical advert produced, well done

Oh and nice parking

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 4th November 2009
Moneypenny2k

Both look great.

I'm doing a beginners photography course and our assignment this week is night photography. Love your idea but what do you mean B exposure? I've not heard that term before.
Old 4th November 2009
Bern

Mis M, think it just means long exposure.
Pics are brill, the first is cracking, and both look great fun.
Old 5th November 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypenny2k View Post
Both look great.

I'm doing a beginners photography course and our assignment this week is night photography. Love your idea but what do you mean B exposure? I've not heard that term before.
"B" stands for "Bulb" and is a hangover from the days when a camera's shutter was held open by squeezing a bulb of air attached to the shutter release by a tube. The shutter would remain open until the bulb was released. These days it's done differently but the terminology remains the same! Confusing to you youngsters, I know, but to us old f*rts in this digital age it's one thing that we at least understand!

To use Bulb on your E500 select M (manual exposure) on your mode dial. Turn the command dial clockwise to increase the exposure time. When you go past 60 seconds (the maximum electronic expoure time the camera is capable of) you will see BULB appear at the top of the LCD. Now, if you press the shutter button and keep it pressed the shutter will remain open until you release the button.

If you buy a remote release (RM1) you can use this to hold the shutter open rather than keep pressing the shutter button, which is more convenient if you need to move around firing flashes or using a torch to "paint" with. You will need to have your camera on a tripod, of course, whichever method you use.

There may be a limit to how long you can keep the shutter open (I can't remember) but if there is it will be a long time. Make sure you have a fully charged battery loaded because battery power is still needed to hold the shutter open even though you are doing it manually.

In this mode the camera is not controlling the exposure for you so it's a bit hit or miss and you'll just have to experiment. At least with digital you can see the results instantly and shoot again if neccessary. To keep a track on what you've done use your watch to time the exposures. Then, if you've used an exposure of, say, 2 minutes and it looks a bit too dark, try it again at 4 minutes (a one stop increase in exposure). If it looks too light shorten the exposure time to 1 minute (a one stop decrease in exposure). Of course, you may find you need more radical adjustments than these examples, but it is a matter of trial and error. It's best to select a large aperture (small f number) to prevent exposure times becomming too long, at least to start with. Do it methodically like this and I'm sure you'll soon get the hang of it.

Have fun!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 5th November 2009

Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts

Thanks you all for the comments ... the white colour of the mini and my 16year old sons LED 'wands' did make it work rather well. I like the idea it materialised from 'outer space'.

JackB ... yes I have posted churches a year or so ago, in fact was at another one last night. As you can see it doesnt always go 100% OK.

This is St. Huberts church near Petersfield on a very clear moonlit night.

E3, with newly acquired S/H 7-14, was on Bulb (about 90s ). Run from the camera to the church and flash the church about 5 times and the bushes to the left and right once each.

As you can see you do have to be aware of where you are standing and the sequence you do things in. Also dont run back to the camera with the ready light on the flash showing.

Zuiko ... thanks for the expalnation of B, I should have said Bulb and also how to get it on a 510.

If only I could do interesting photos in daylight!

Chris
Old 5th November 2009
Administrator

Wow! And you caught two burglers in the act......