Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 3rd October 2009

Liked 1,341 Times in 507 Posts
Southwold and points east

Well, Mr and Mrs Snaar are back from our raid on the east coast.

What a nice place Southwold is! There is only one road into the town so the traffic is subdued (at least in September). There are lots of side roads to explore, plus it has loads of pubs including this one right opposite the Adnams brewery

(and you get a free Lighthouse thrown in as well).

The Pier is clean, free, not tacky and has some downright odd shops - plus this solar powered wobbly sign.

Just south of the town is the inlet with the hand rowed ferry that only operated at weekends (according to the sign on the north shore) and only operated during the week (according to the sign on the south shore).

Maybe we were unlucky. Anyway we drove round to Walberswick, where you get views like these:

and..

I spotted this ghost on the horizon while I was there. That's a job for the long Tamron, I said to myself..

Walberswick has (like just about all the other Suffolk villages we saw) several rather tempting pubs. The one we used at lunctime appeared to have no way out of the bar. It just gets better, eh?

Just north of Southwold: Spare a thought for Mr Boggis who is fighting a long and increasingly illegal battle with coastal erosion at Easton Bavents. Judging by the Private notices, he is fed up of trippers like me turning up to photograph the situation

Just north of there is Covehithe with the church within a church (the over-large chuch was demolished to build the newer smaller one inside it)

The beach is hard to find and therefore mostly empty and generally wonderful

Travel south and you get to Dunwich. You have to get at least one iconic boat on shingle shot, so here it is :-)

Finally, further south you find Woodbridge. It was oddly quiet when we arrived. It turns out there was a power cut so most of the shops with electronic tills had shut (!). The wonderful Woodbridge Violins were open and kindly let me take a couple of shots of their repairs in progress..

and

So. Back to work after a rather pleasing rest...

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 3rd October 2009
EH1

Smile Re: Southwold and points east

A great set of pictures Pete. I especially like the violin pictures, as they are very unusual
Old 3rd October 2009

Liked 1,341 Times in 507 Posts
Re: Southwold and points east

Thanks Edward.. The guys in the Violin shop were nice and friendly. I wasn't about to buy a violin - I can't even play one I guess they probably get photographers poking around a lot.

Although the weather was great for the first two days, and it didn't rain at all, the cloud got thicker and the lighting became more subdued during the week, so I was fighting the dreaded white sky syndrome a lot. Anyway, here are a few more from the week.

--------------------------------------------------------
This is Sutton Hoo. I have to confess this was my first Hoo, so I didn't know quite what to expect.

Now this looks like boot hill - a scene out of a Western Cowboy film, in fact its the overgrown graveyard at Covehithe.

Here is a shot to prove you can still catch a steam ship that stops at Southwold Pier!

And finally. We came across this. Its a pretty little cottage. Someone should paint it really...

:-)

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.

Last edited by snaarman; 3rd October 2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 3rd October 2009

Liked 66 Times in 31 Posts

Great set of photos. Especially like the story that accompanies the pictures.

Its a shame that humans dont come with autofocus, like cameras do!
Old 3rd October 2009

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

All very nice.Shame I haven't got a pint of Broadside to enjoy while looking at them.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 3rd October 2009
mike_j

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Well, Mr and Mrs Snaar are back from our raid on the east coast.

What a nice place Southwold is! There is only one road into the town so the traffic is subdued (at least in September). There are lots of side roads to explore, plus it has loads of pubs including this one right opposite the Adnams brewery

Pete
That pub sells a lovely pint of Adnams, reputedly (though probably untruthfully) piped straight from the brewery opposite.
Old 3rd October 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A great pictorial story with some cracking images.
Old 3rd October 2009
Administrator

Liked 546 Times in 294 Posts

Cracking thread of pictures... read through it a couple of times not to enjoy..

I didn't notice the windfarm at 1st, your iconic boat shot and ghost are very nice !

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 4th October 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,175 Times in 2,480 Posts
Liked 4,505 Times in 2,142 Posts

Superb pictures and story. I agree that the violins are excellent, but my favourite is N0 4 for the drama of the clouds, the quality of light falling on the sea and the vast sense of space that is so typical of East Anglia. Nice job!

BTW The iconic boat on the shingle at Dunwich is kept there as a tourist attraction.

Why do you want Willy Lott's cottage painted? Don't you like it the colour it is?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 4th October 2009

Liked 43 Times in 34 Posts

A great set, you were fortunate with he weather as well. Liked the pub, is there a letter missing from the front :-)