Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 22nd March 2015

Liked 1,504 Times in 379 Posts
Cranes

Went off early for a 1.5 hrs drive this very cold but sunny morning. Unfortunately the heat gradient caused quite some distortion close to ground meaning all subjects on the ground came out unsharp. Shame, since light was pleasant and with 5000+ cranes on site having a rest while on their migration further north. In flight subjects came out OK through so I spent most of the time trying to capture the action in the air.

I might make a new attempt next weekend, the bulk of the cranes are still to arrive and the hopefully weather has turned back to more normal.

Sharing some that I am quite pleased with.

All with the TS102 700mm scope + EM5.

Thanks for looking,

/Tord

My Gallery on 500px
The Following User Says Thank You to Tordan58 For This Useful Post:
PeterBirder (22nd March 2015)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Falk (5th April 2015), IainMacD (23rd March 2015), KeithL (23rd March 2015), Mickg (23rd March 2015), OM USer (23rd March 2015)
Old 22nd March 2015

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
Re: Cranes

Wonderful shots as always Tord.
You are very fortunate to live so near to such a major migration corridor. To see such large numbers of Cranes must be fantastic. I've only managed to see a small number at one of the few sites in eastern England where small flocks breed.

The Swan shot is interesting. From the bill patterns it looks as if the one on the left is a Whooper whilst the one on the right is a juvenile Bewick's. Is this so?

Thanks for sharing.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 23rd March 2015

Thanks Peter,

You could be right. If so, it would be a lucky shot and new species on camera for me.

Bewick's swans are sometimes seen here wintertime as well as on passage, though sightings are uncommon.

From Wikipedia: "Bewick's swan is similar in appearance to the parapatric whooper swan (C. cygnus), but is smaller, shorter-necked and has a more rounded head shape, with variable bill pattern, but always showing more black than yellow and having a blunt forward edge of the yellow base patch. Whooper swans have a bill that has more yellow than black and the forward edge of the yellow patch is usually pointed."

I will post a detail of the heads for you to judge.

My Gallery on 500px
Old 23rd March 2015

A crop from another picture with the birds nicely lined up so you can compare the beaks. Peter, is that of help?

My Gallery on 500px
Old 23rd March 2015

Liked 1,407 Times in 816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
Wonderful shots as always Tord.
You are very fortunate to live so near to such a major migration corridor. To see such large numbers of Cranes must be fantastic. I've only managed to see a small number at one of the few sites in eastern England where small flocks breed.

The Swan shot is interesting. From the bill patterns it looks as if the one on the left is a Whooper whilst the one on the right is a juvenile Bewick's. Is this so?

Thanks for sharing.
Peter, Tord
Looking at my RSPB book, I'd say the other way round: the one on the right looks like a Whooper, and the one on the left looks like a Bewick's, comparing with the pictures in the RSPB book. And the one on the R isn't all that juvenile; juveniles have a large white base to their beak for both species. Probably almost fully grown.

Some nice shots there, Tord.
Old 23rd March 2015

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Peter, Tord
Looking at my RSPB book, I'd say the other way round: the one on the right looks like a Whooper, and the one on the left looks like a Bewick's, comparing with the pictures in the RSPB book. And the one on the R isn't all that juvenile; juveniles have a large white base to their beak for both species. Probably almost fully grown.

Some nice shots there, Tord.
You are quite correct Keith. Got my left and right crossed, either senior moment or typo (or both) You will see the one on the right (Whooper) has a very similar bill pattern to the one in my avatar. The diagnostic feature on the Whooper is that the yellow patch extends beyond the nostril. Tord's second shot shows this and also the more rounded head on the Bewick's.Difficult to see the difference in body and neck size in these shots but it is more marked when you see them on the ground. I was also sloppy with my age description of the Whooper, it will be an end of first winter bird having lost the white from the bill but still retaining some of the grey plumage. The Whoopers we get over here are usually the Icelandic race which get their all white plumage quicker than the Scandinavian race (which I assume Tord's to be).

The detailed patterns of the yellow patches on both types are actually unique to individual birds.If you go to the WWT reserve at Welney in Norfolk you will find they record the patterns of each bird they ring.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 23rd March 2015

Liked 1,350 Times in 803 Posts

Only slightly annoying, it will be weeks before the Sandhill Cranes return around here. We're still in a deep freeze with ice on the lakes and bays being measured in feet rather than inches. The high for today was -8C.

I've seen Bewick's Swans hanging out with flocks of Whooper Swans a few times in England.

David M's Photoblog
Old 23rd March 2015

Liked 63 Times in 41 Posts

I love the photos.
I wish we had more birds like that round here, especially Cranes.
On Saturday I was at Loch Dochart near Crianlarich, there were 24 Whoopers upending with Wigeon, Teal, Mallard and Goldeneye feeding off the scraps. Unusual sight to see. Equals the record for the loch for me although I'm usually spotting them in December or January.

Lots of toys.
Old 24th March 2015

Liked 1,407 Times in 816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
You are quite correct Keith. Got my left and right crossed, either senior moment or typo (or both) You will see the one on the right (Whooper) has a very similar bill pattern to the one in my avatar. The diagnostic feature on the Whooper is that the yellow patch extends beyond the nostril. Tord's second shot shows this and also the more rounded head on the Bewick's.Difficult to see the difference in body and neck size in these shots but it is more marked when you see them on the ground. I was also sloppy with my age description of the Whooper, it will be an end of first winter bird having lost the white from the bill but still retaining some of the grey plumage. The Whoopers we get over here are usually the Icelandic race which get their all white plumage quicker than the Scandinavian race (which I assume Tord's to be).

The detailed patterns of the yellow patches on both types are actually unique to individual birds.If you go to the WWT reserve at Welney in Norfolk you will find they record the patterns of each bird they ring.

Regards.
Thx, Peter. Blame it on a senior moment - it sounds more, er, dignified that way! They can be difficult to tell apart for the uninitiated, though, can't they? And, yes, I've been to Welney. Apart from swans, most birds too far away for photography there, I found. Maybe I was unlucky when I went.
Mental note: Must go back to Cley if I get the time.