Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 15th November 2017

Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
mFT choice

I am not sure if this is the right forum to post a general query but I could not find a better.

When I bought a Canon FF five years ago I kept (and still use occasionally) my Oly gear and I am now wondering if I should buy something small and light to keep at the bottom of the satchel I always carry when not really taking photos. I am having difficulty in understanding the specs of the current crop of Olys. Whatever I buy will end up being used with many different lenses, such as Canon L , old FT (including some HD ones) and even Canon FD. I suspect that manual focussing will be frequently used so focus peaking will be very useful. An on camera viewfinder is also essential.

So my main query is - do the Pen-F and OM10 offer focus peaking? and is there any other point I should be aware of? All suggestions gratefully considered.

Thanks in advance
Old 15th November 2017

Liked 133 Times in 96 Posts
Re: mFT choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerMac View Post
is there any other point I should be aware of? All suggestions gratefully considered.
I don't know about peaking (all my bodies predate it) however I do know one other thing that might be of use:

Metabones make a couple of adapters for EF lenses that allow mFT bodies to autofocus. One type have no optical elements so effectively give less FOV than the same lenses do on EF bodies. The other type have optics to reduce the focal length (concentrating the image) and restoring much of the lost FOV while at the same time making the image brighter (1 stop gain). Most who tried these recon the image quality is IMPROVED with the 'speedbooster'!

Unfortunately their adapters are significantly more expensive than standard dumb ones. but if you have EF lenses already it might be worth your while to investigate
The Following User Says Thank You to Petrochemist For This Useful Post:
RogerMac (15th November 2017)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 15th November 2017

Thanked 1,455 Times in 1,344 Posts
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,162 Posts

Roger I'm not sure about the canon stuff but the EM1 works best with the old 4/3s lenses if that's what you have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phill D For This Useful Post:
Old 15th November 2017

Liked 477 Times in 128 Posts

Em10 mk11 definitely has peaking, I use it on mine
The Following User Says Thank You to chris For This Useful Post:
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 15th November 2017

Liked 350 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
I am not sure if this is the right forum to post a general query but I could not find a better.

When I bought a Canon FF five years ago I kept (and still use occasionally) my Oly gear and I am now wondering if I should buy something small and light to keep at the bottom of the satchel I always carry when not really taking photos. I am having difficulty in understanding the specs of the current crop of Olys. Whatever I buy will end up being used with many different lenses, such as Canon L , old FT (including some HD ones) and even Canon FD. I suspect that manual focussing will be frequently used so focus peaking will be very useful. An on camera viewfinder is also essential.

So my main query is - do the Pen-F and OM10 offer focus peaking? and is there any other point I should be aware of? All suggestions gratefully considered.

Thanks in advance
Roger,

Pen F does have focus peaking. A gorgeous if expensive camera. To be honest, I prefer some of its control inputs to that of my EM1 Mk 2- its easier to use in some ways. A brilliant camera.

Tim
The Following User Says Thank You to 090657 For This Useful Post:
The Following Users Liked This Post:
RogerMac (15th November 2017), yorky (16th November 2017)
Old 15th November 2017

Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts

Thanks all for your very helpful inputs. It looks as if both those are suitable for my needs, so logic suggests the OM10 but self indulgence might push me toward the Pen-f.

I know that the OM1 is a much better camera but I think the price is out of budget and possibly so is the size and weight.

It will take a few weeks for me to decide which one and thanks again for your inputs
Old 16th November 2017

Liked 2,567 Times in 1,683 Posts

Quote:
I know that the OM1 is a much better camera but I think the price is out of budget and possibly so is the size and weight.
The OM-D E-M1 Mk1 has focus peaking, and can be bought for a very reasonable price now that the Mk II has been around for a while.

I use mine with both 43 and my legacy Four Thirds lenses. Handling is excellent with or without the grip, (probably better with), whilst the size and weight make it very easy to carry.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
RogerMac (16th November 2017)
Old 16th November 2017

Thanked 1,455 Times in 1,344 Posts
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,162 Posts

Roger I'll send you a pm.