Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 12th November 2017

Liked 1,407 Times in 816 Posts
Re: Before and After?

A word of warning here! I processed a portrait (mono) and printed it. It looked quite bright on screen, but a bit flat on paper. So I used a Topaz plug-in to give it some impact. Printed, thought 'great', and submitted it to a club comp with no further thought. The judge slated it as being over exposed! I hadn't checked the curve after Topaz did its worst. After Topaz, what had been an almost perfectly exposed shot now had an exaggerated histogram curve, with over exposure evident. In the finished print, it was only in some highlights, but it has made me very cautious since.

Be careful how you use plug-ins, particularly those that promise to give an image 'impact'. It's VERY easy to overdo it. If I can find the original images, I'll post here to demonstrate the effect.
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (12th November 2017)
Old 12th November 2017

Liked 311 Times in 149 Posts

Hi Phill,

Two examples of "Before and After" or as I prefer to call it "Developing the Image".

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

Its not what you see, it's the way that you see it"

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/photofxstudios
The Following User Liked This Post:
OM USer (12th November 2017)
Old 12th November 2017

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

From the title I thought we were talking diptychs. Elliot Erwitt was/is a master at these - even triptychs - magnificent!
Worth having a separate thread on Diptychs / Triptychs.

on flickr
Old 12th November 2017

Liked 759 Times in 504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomphotofx View Post
I suggested using the auto button primarily as a learning curve trying it out on a varied selection of images to get an idea how the sliders position themselves, its a good way of understanding the workings of Photoshop. Take for example you've taken a batch of photos of a rugby/football match under the same lighting conditions, try the auto button but then tweak the settings to suit, add noise reduction plus white balance correction and maybe dehaze slider save that out as a preset to use on all the images. It will put you in the right ballpark for the majority of images and the ones that didn't work will only take some mild tweaking. It's a time saver nobody wants to manually work on maybe two to three hundred images individually.

Cheers,

Tom
Good points all, Tom. I hadn't really thought of using the auto function as a way of understanding the effects of the sliders, that's a very good idea.

Certainly being able to apply a set of adjustments to several files is useful, but I don't know how generally applicable it is across different editors. Lightroom is quite well designed for it, I don't know about Oly viewer or others.

Sadly it isn't all that useful for outdoor sports as the light changes all the time. Most dramatically if you change ends at half-time, but also - as well as natural variations of sun & cloud - a lot of outdoor sports tend to be timed to finish as it gets dark which means the light changes a lot and rapidly in the last half-hour or so.

I have to photograph some indoor walking football at a leisure centre tomorrow. The lighting is horrible from what I remember, but at least it is constant. It will be worth taking a lot of care to balance the first one right then apply the mods to the whole set.

John
Old 12th November 2017
Administrator

Liked 574 Times in 309 Posts

Having spent much ot the last 6 months repairing photo's I though that I should add one to this thread

The original glass plate (est. late 1920's) was rephotographed using a lightbox, EM1mkII and the zuiko 50mm macro using an MM3 converter

The OOC JPG is on the left. The one on the right is from the ORF which has been run through DXO

Smart lighting = slight
Clearview = 20%
Highlights & Midtones down 20%

Then into faststone and using the clone and heal tool with a hardness of 0.4 and remove the obvious scratches and soften the lines where there is some staining across the picture. im not aiming for perfect, but to make any issues not immediately obvious

Side point .. The gent himself has now been featured on the CNS history pages I am working on - he was an early member of the Alpine Society and one of the first climbers of the matterhorn. http://www.cardiffnaturalists.org.uk...s/150th-28.htm
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
The Following Users Liked This Post:
KeithL (19th November 2017), OM USer (12th November 2017), Phill D (13th November 2017)
Old 13th November 2017

Liked 1,683 Times in 831 Posts

One from last night. Used my EM1-mk2 on my telescope. First time out for over a year.

8 x 4 minute shots ( ISO 800) of the Andromeda Galaxy. Showing only one to give an idea of what you get including pesky satellite trail.

Then the end result after stacking and quite a bit of post processing.

Before

[IMG][/IMG]

After

[IMG][/IMG]

My Flickr

Last edited by wornish; 15th November 2017 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Reprocessed After
The Following Users Liked This Post:
chris (13th November 2017), Jim Ford (13th November 2017), Johnheatingman (13th November 2017), mik (13th November 2017), MikeOxon (5th December 2017), MJ224 (13th November 2017), OM USer (13th November 2017), Phill D (13th November 2017), skids (13th November 2017)
Old 13th November 2017

Liked 4,100 Times in 1,890 Posts

That is a fantastic shot Dave.

Assume the scope mount moved with the earth rotation.....

What mount do you use??

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 13th November 2017

Thanks. Its a Sky Watcher AZ-EQ6. Because I hadn't used it for over a year I just let the mount itself do the tracking last night. Normally, I would use guiding which means you can do much longer exposures and still have round stars.

Without guiding you are at the mercy of the mounts internal tracking and the challenge of getting your Polar Alignment as good as possible. That has recently become a lot easier since Sharpcap introduced a new polar align feature in their software which works amazingly well.

My Flickr
Old 13th November 2017

Liked 4,100 Times in 1,890 Posts

I use the go to EQ5, which is very good.

But heavy

And my back garden is awash with LED street lights...Also need to learn how to flip the telescope. Andromeda is on the flip side...:-(

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 13th November 2017

I live in the sticks so light pollution isn't too bad as long as the neighbours to the South don't have their garden flood lights on. Almost all mounts are heavy it helps in keeping them stable.

My Flickr
Old 13th November 2017

Liked 563 Times in 206 Posts

Dave - Please consider my hat tipped firmly in your direction - fantastic capture sir.
wornish (13th November 2017)