Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 11th September 2018

Liked 683 Times in 360 Posts
Re: Aurora Lights, where?

Rough seas

I think I will stay with flights and solid ground.

This is very interesting and I have lots of time, about 8 months to plan which country. Seems the Norway is a better bet so far. Please keep the suggestions and stories coming in. Should you have some nice (or not so nice) stories and photos please share.

Thanks in advance.

All my garbage so far.
Old 11th September 2018

Liked 1,613 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote:
This is very interesting and I have lots of time, about 8 months to plan which country. Seems the Norway is a better bet so far. Please keep the suggestions and stories coming in. Should you have some nice (or not so nice) stories and photos please share.
I strongly recommend that you have a look at the link I posted earlier:

https://aurora-alerts.uk/

You can select Iceland, UK or Europe and see actual live reports by aurora watchers. You will then get a feel of what may be the best location for you.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
blu-by-u (12th September 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
blu-by-u (12th September 2018)
Old 11th September 2018

Thanked 1,116 Times in 699 Posts
Liked 1,460 Times in 729 Posts

@ blu-by-u

Not sure how this would work in your personal situation> Check to see if they still offer the special deal if the lights don't show?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 12th September 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I strongly recommend that you have a look at the link I posted earlier:

https://aurora-alerts.uk/

You can select Iceland, UK or Europe and see actual live reports by aurora watchers. You will then get a feel of what may be the best location for you.

Jim
Very interesting App. Taking for instance as of now, Iceland do not even show any while north UK have 3 and Norway have 1 and Finland have 1. Thanks for that app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
@ blu-by-u

Not sure how this would work in your personal situation> Check to see if they still offer the special deal if the lights don't show?
Unfortunately none of the M'sian tour companies do not offer any moneyback. I have seen some Lapland companies offering this.

All my garbage so far.
Old 14th September 2018

Liked 321 Times in 156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
Trying to fulfill my bucket list. I tried that at Finland but the display was

I don't want to fork out my savings for another trip failed trip. So any advice on which country I should put my saving on?

Or maybe just go to Canada. But for me to get to Canada would be more than double the amount to Europe.
Henry as long as you are in the Aurora belt the rest is down to luck there can be no guarantees. Best advise is where ever you are if its not too overcast set up your camera and check in live view for signs of the Auroro.

I have tried 3 locations
1 Alaska -Fairbanks weather did not accommodate.
2 Iceland - Reykjavik had a 2-3 show
3 Canada - Churchill had the best show even though there was a full moon.

Examples Alaska Chena Hot Springs kp1-2 but overcast

Iceland Thingvellir National Park, kp 2-3 some cloud

Canada Churchill full moon! kp 3-4

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 15th September 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
Henry as long as you are in the Aurora belt the rest is down to luck there can be no guarantees. Best advise is where ever you are if its not too overcast set up your camera and check in live view for signs of the Auroro.

I have tried 3 locations
1 Alaska -Fairbanks weather did not accommodate.
2 Iceland - Reykjavik had a 2-3 show
3 Canada - Churchill had the best show even though there was a full moon.
Sinsei John, humble disciple awaits.

Settings? LiveView, LiveBulb, LiveComp or just Bulb? or timed?

infinity focus, f2.8, ISO200?

All my garbage so far.
Old 15th September 2018

Lots of aurora reported in Scotland last night.

Never seen them down here though!

Jim
Old 15th September 2018

Quote:
Sinsei John, humble disciple awaits.

Settings? LiveView, LiveBulb, LiveComp or just Bulb? or timed?

infinity focus, f2.8, ISO200?
Similar to milkyway focus to infinity, NR off and RAW but use shutter speed between 5-15 secs. 10 sec is good starting point if the lights are very frisky lower the shutter (5s) if they move slowly increase the shutter speed (15s), adjust ISO for brightness. Use time Lapse settings with movie on full HD/5fps. Frames set to circa 60 frames or longer will give 12 sec video. I also give it a 5 sec delayed start. Practice using time lapse before as it takes a bit of practice to get it going. You need to have the box showing [Time Lapse Settings On] and then half press shutter button. Once back to liveview press shutter all the way down to start sequence.

You will get all the RAW images saved plus a HD video which will give the best show of the lights activity. You can then choose which of the RAW files to use to develop.

Cannot stress enough its requires more luck than milkyway as it requires solar corona activity a few days before and clear skies. Try and pick a good landscape backdrop as well. Look for web sites that give aurora activity in kp.

Aurora in the UK is possible but I would not recommend coming here just to try for Aurora. I think Iceland is the best chance on one of the many Aurora holidays. They take you out to darker skies and if they are not active some take you out another day or give something back. But read the small print and know what you can expect to see with your eyes and just how much more the camera sees.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
The Following User Says Thank You to birdboy For This Useful Post:
blu-by-u (18th September 2018)
Old 16th September 2018

Liked 2,268 Times in 1,499 Posts

I have said this before, but we occasionally see the Aurora from our back garden in Co. Durham, so you don't necessarily have to leave the country.

Search for St Mary's Lighthouse Aurora (Newcastle) and you will see dozens of spectacular displays. It is just a matter of luck, and being in the right place at the right time!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following Users Liked This Post:
birdboy (16th September 2018), blu-by-u (18th September 2018), skids (16th September 2018)
Old 16th September 2018

This is a great image for the uk and is ok for us that live in certain parts of the UK but Henry (blu-by-u) lives in Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia. Living near the equator I thought he was after some advise of where he could go to get the best chance of seeing/ photographing the Aurora.

If you get an Aurora display that can be seen in the UK then it will appear even more spectacular if you were in Alaska, Findland, Norway or Iceland as it will probably be of 5+kp index.

The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 16th September 2018

I believe that photographs of aurora are far more spectacular than are seen at the same time by the eye.

I think Henry (blu-by-u) found it so when he want to Norway(?) a year or two ago. He was disappointed with what he saw with the naked eye, but his photos turned out OK after a bit of PP.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Ford For This Useful Post:
Old 16th September 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I believe that photographs of aurora are far more spectacular than are seen at the same time by the eye.

I think Henry (blu-by-u) found it so when he want to Norway(?) a year or two ago. He was disappointed with what he saw with the naked eye, but his photos turned out OK after a bit of PP.

Jim
Yes this is true, and I have said the same here before.

The aurora that we photographed at home were much more visible to the camera than to the naked eye. I would be interested to see what a film camera would make of the aurora as the spectral sensitivity of colour film is probably quite different to that of a CCD sensor. For a start, CCD's are sensitive to infra red light, which I don't think film is in the same way.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Old 16th September 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
This is a great image for the uk and is ok for us that live in certain parts of the UK but Henry (blu-by-u) lives in Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia. Living near the equator I thought he was after some advise of where he could go to get the best chance of seeing/ photographing the Aurora.

If you get an Aurora display that can be seen in the UK then it will appear even more spectacular if you were in Alaska, Findland, Norway or Iceland as it will probably be of 5+kp index.
Not necessarily. There are many factors which dictate how visible the aurora will be, so the fact that we get good displays in the northeast of England doesn't necessarily mean that those same displays will be better in another country.

The chances of seeing a good display are so hit and miss that I would rather head to a place that I wanted to visit anyway (like the Shetland Islands or the far north of Scotland), and if I saw the aurora it would be a bonus. At least that way I wouldn't leave totally disappointed if the lights didn't show.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 16th September 2018

I agree strictly speaking there are so many other factors but the closer your are under or near the belt gives much better clearer displays. Its best to study the one of the many websites showing Aurora activity maps for the night and location in question but they are only forecasts.

The Following User Says Thank You to birdboy For This Useful Post:
Old 16th September 2018

Quote:
Seems the Norway is a better bet so far. Please keep the suggestions and stories coming in. Should you have some nice (or not so nice) stories and photos please share.

Thanks in advance.
Norway is a wonderful country to visit with or without the aurora, but be warned, it is very very expensive!

You would probably need to visit Norway during the winter to see the aurora. On the plus side most of Norway is bathed in darkness all day long around mid-winter, but on the downside it is dark all day long so you won't see much other than the aurora!

Conversely, around mid-summer there is very little darkness to speak of so you are unlikely to see the aurora then.

On a separate subject, the aurora tend to come and go in eleven year cycles corresponding with sunspot activity. Aurora still appear during the eleven year 'quiet' spells but are less frequent and less intense.

I am not an expert on this, but I was under the impression that we were nearing the end of the current aurora season, so we might be heading for a quiet spell.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing