Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 19th June 2019

Liked 363 Times in 95 Posts
Re: Buttons..What do you do with them?

From memory.

Fn1 - return AF point to home (set as centre single point)

Top multifunction button - Exp comp

Record button - AF select (rotate front dial to scroll eye Af and rear dial to select single point, group etc)

Top front button - Switch from MF to AF

Bottom front button - AF limiter

Switch lever - WB and ISO via control dials.

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com
Old 20th June 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
...and then still none the wiser with regard to dof (yes I understand I can press one of the many buttons to see the effect). I'm more comfortable with dials with numbers; shutter speed, aperture and dof, and find it far faster too.
I challenge anyone to evaluate DOF properly on any camera of any type (RF, SLR, DSLR, MILC) by peering at a viewfinder that is much smaller than any final print or screen. Guessing DOF from the markings on a lens is also fraught with difficulties since you need to be aware of the CoC used on the scale and its relevance to the final crop and output size.

Experienced photographers of course get a feel for the right aperture to use for the DOF needed - but that's experience and nothing to do with the technology.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 20th June 2019

Liked 688 Times in 363 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I challenge anyone to evaluate DOF properly on any camera of any type (RF, SLR, DSLR, MILC) by peering at a viewfinder that is much smaller than any final print or screen. Guessing DOF from the markings on a lens is also fraught with difficulties since you need to be aware of the CoC used on the scale and its relevance to the final crop and output size.

Experienced photographers of course get a feel for the right aperture to use for the DOF needed - but that's experience and nothing to do with the technology.
I won't. I never trust that tiny screen. It's just to review what I have taken. Sharp, in focus, DoF, I don't trust it.

All my garbage so far.
The Following User Liked This Post:
snerkler (20th June 2019)
Old 20th June 2019

Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,299 Posts
Liked 2,340 Times in 1,112 Posts

I've reset a few of the buttons as I've read recommendations in posts in the past but rarely use them to be honest as I can never remember what I've set them too . I'd be lost without the SCP though
Thinking about it it's frightening how simply I use my gear.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
BDennis (20th June 2019), wornish (20th June 2019)
Old 20th June 2019

Liked 1,531 Times in 754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
I've reset a few of the buttons as I've read recommendations in posts in the past but rarely use them to be honest as I can never remember what I've set them too . I'd be lost without the SCP though
Thinking about it it's frightening how simply I use my gear.
I am exactly the same. I can't remember what I set them to so end up not using them very often.

My Flickr
Phill D (20th June 2019)
Old 20th June 2019

Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,299 Posts
Liked 2,340 Times in 1,112 Posts

Ah I'm not alone that makes me feel better, cheers Dave
Old 20th June 2019

Liked 1,394 Times in 359 Posts

First some background: On the Mark1 I had 4 customized modes which I assigned to the F1, F2 and front camera body buttons. I think I posted them in the Mark1 section a few years back.

To put my (almost lack of) Mark 2 button customization in its context:
The Mark 2 mode dial introducing C1/C2/C3 has made it all more easier, even though there are only 3 modes only compared to 4. Having the mode dial operated by the same (right) hand that is operating the most important controls makes its use much more convenient and compared to the Panasonic G9 camera, where the dial is on the left side meaing you have a hard time operating it while shooting.

With rare exceptions I shoot in A mode, which is used by all C modes.

Basically the most important C1/C2/C3 settings are:
C1: For sequential shooting, S-AF, slowest acceptable shutter speed 1/250 or 1/320 before auto-ISO pumps up the ISO up to max 3200. Small central single AF point.
C2: For sequential shooting, C-AF. Central 5 or 9 points (still I cannot decide which give best results). Slowest acceptable shutter speed 1/1000... 1/2000 depending a bit on subjects, with 1/1600 as default.
C3: For sequential shooting. Same as C2 but all AF points used and with focus limiter set to "longest acceptable distance to have subject fill enough of frame". That could be 15... 50 meters depending on what kind of subject, with 20 meters typical value. Exposure compensation 0... +2EV depending on light conditions, angle of light and sky, 2/3EV is usually a good starting point.

The back-button is programmed for locking exposure, used with C3.

In addition to this I have programmed F2 for 5x magnification, which is useful when either checking checking focus accurracy in C1 mode or when using my manual lenses. That's all. I would like to have the video recording disabled as I rarely take videos and want to avoid shooting videos by mistake.

What I do at start of the photo session is to review and if needed adjust the longest shutter speed, exposure compensation and focus limiter depending on what I can expect from the situation in the field, what subjects etc.

This way I am always prepared and minimize the risk missing a shot because fiddling with buttons. Camera in stand-by, while bringing the camera to eye level while operating the mode dial with right thumb I will have selected the appropriate mode.

On the Mark 1 this was more error-prone as actioning one of the 4 buttons would either engage the mode, or dis-engage it depending on what mode was used before. And the camera would return to default (no mode) after a time-out of a minute or so. Once you understood and got used how it behaved it worked, but it is so much easier with the C1/C2/C3.

Hope I managed to explain.

Cheers
Tord

My Gallery on 500px
Old 20th June 2019

Liked 214 Times in 141 Posts

Having lots of controls makes a camera more versatile but, sadly, my brain is rarely capable of remembering what to choose, when an unexpected subject suddenly pops up!

I turn off the touch screen and the 4-way pad, because I find that these are prone to accidental use, which can be very confusing.

For the record, I use F1 to re-centre the focus point (single point), F2 to magnify the viewfinder image, the top button on the front to select MF, and the 2-way switch as the power switch. This last facilitates single-handed operation.
Jim Ford (20th June 2019)