Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 19th June 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: v3 Firmware for mk2 - updates for mk2, m1x and lenses

FPGAs were introduced to help developers prove the gate configuration for a given application, and once verified the gate array could be committed by blowing links, much like a PROM, and then churned out in great numbers. However equipment manufacturers quite liked the FPGA, and it has now become mainstream.
The difference between FPGAs and computers: FPGAs are configured at power up and remain configured until power is removed. Computers follow stored instructions in ROM, RAM, EEPROM, EAPROM etc.

on flickr
Old 19th June 2019

Liked 1,517 Times in 749 Posts

Saying all software/firmware is bad is just daft - sorry.

Software has delivered as much if not more to mankind's well being than the industrial revolution. Yes it has bugs, but so do humans

Film Cameras are great and they did and still do a good job but life moves on .....
Embrace digital and enjoy.

ps.

Would love to see a mechanical Google equivalent that works using Gearwheels and Buttons and gives an answer in microseconds to anyone connected worldwide.

My Flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Internaut (19th June 2019)
Old 19th June 2019

Liked 68 Times in 19 Posts

Have applied the updates fine on my Mac OS v10.14.5 with Olympus Workspace as camera updater said it did not support this OS version on the Olympus website.

I've been intrigued by the USB RAW Data Edit feature. Olympus says "Using the power of the TruePic VIII image processor, the new feature USB RAW Data Edit allows much faster RAW processing in Olympus Workspace"

I've tried it and used the EM1Mk2 to "develop" RAWs right off the camera to JPEGs. I'm trying to figure out why I would use this rather than RAW processing software on my 6 core i7 Mac desktop. Maybe the on-camera RAW processing is better, but I have this feeling Olympus have implemented some cool thing I don't fully understand the purpose of! What am I missing?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2019-06-19 at 23.04.23.png (24.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 19th June 2019

It is said that it is almost impossible to write 500 lines of computer code and to not introduce coding errors. Try it and see.

From the little I've read here it appears Olympus use the consumer to debug their code. (I'm still unsure if they use uncommitted gate arrays or instruction based computers.) For the speed requirements of digital cameras I suspect they use both. They refer to 'firmware' as a generic term as most people haven't got a clue, or simply don't care. If it catches a bird in flight, job done.

on flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
pdk42 (20th June 2019)
Old 19th June 2019

Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDennis View Post
Have applied the updates fine on my Mac OS v10.14.5 with Olympus Workspace as camera updater said it did not support this OS version on the Olympus website.

I've been intrigued by the USB RAW Data Edit feature. Olympus says "Using the power of the TruePic VIII image processor, the new feature USB RAW Data Edit allows much faster RAW processing in Olympus Workspace"

I've tried it and used the EM1Mk2 to "develop" RAWs right off the camera to JPEGs. I'm trying to figure out why I would use this rather than RAW processing software on my 6 core i7 Mac desktop. Maybe the on-camera RAW processing is better, but I have this feeling Olympus have implemented some cool thing I don't fully understand the purpose of! What am I missing?
What you are missing is that there are people working out in the field or travelling with an E-M1 II and a basic laptop. They can use the two together to process their RAW images without the need for the powerful desktop. But if you have the powerful desktop available then use it.
Old 19th June 2019

Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Russ View Post
Today I just set my 'A' aperture priority on S-AF and put back in the battery that originally took 183, Well lo n behold, I took 323 images.

That doesn't sound good. I get about 800 shots per battery. As a (rubbish) wildlife photographer I use C-AF quite a bit.

Wildwood
Old 19th June 2019

Liked 68 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
What you are missing is that there are people working out in the field or travelling with an E-M1 II and a basic laptop. They can use the two together to process their RAW images without the need for the powerful desktop. But if you have the powerful desktop available then use it.
Yes I was thinking that but my old 2011 MacAir 11" runs CaptureOnePro for some RAW development fine when I am out on trips, so it would need to be a pretty old laptop!

I am looking at some results from Oly RAW edit vs what C1P gets me and I prefer the C1P results.

Maybe what this gets is a bulk export / edit of RAW straight off the camera in the field if needed and you are not too fussed about doing detailed RAW processing in software, so it is a nice feature.

Here is the same photo, slightly different crop processed with both I did as a quick assessment I did in case anyone is interested.

Capture One Pro v12 processing:
C1Pro

Olympus Workspace RAW Data Edit:
Oly RAW Data Edit
MJ224 (20th June 2019)
Old 19th June 2019

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Looks to be a major update and not just a bug fix. Excellent news.
Old 19th June 2019

Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,026 Posts
Liked 2,070 Times in 1,122 Posts

Quote:
Install the update. Then this is how it works.
You turn on that function by going to menu A1 and it is the second line down. Turn it on.
Then in S-AF you get S-AF+MF, and in C-AF you get C-AF+MF.
The +MF means you can manually adjust at any time by turning the focus ring. Releasing the shutter button and half-pressing it again will restart the mode you were in before you started changing the focus manually.
It's like having the focussing method of SWD lenses now, with every lens!
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 20th June 2019

Liked 329 Times in 136 Posts
Send a message via MSN to griffljg

Another improvement...... OI.Share and its "colleagues" now appear to be able to see the cards in both card slots at the same time. I was wondering why, after my lunch time stroll through the Botanic Gardens, far more photos than I remember taking were being "geo-tagged". It turned out that those on slot 2 were being geo-tagged too.

I am one very happy camper about this improvement.

Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus XZ-2 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH
Ross the fiddler (20th June 2019)
Old 20th June 2019

Liked 686 Times in 296 Posts

So, who can tell me if the new OWS option to edit using the camera's JPEG engine would allow me, for example, to take a raw and edit in details priority (which I understand to be a JPEG only option, not affecting raw)? More importantly, would details Priority yield a better result than using the best raw processer*?

* That IMHO, would be Capture One. I can't use it for my Olympus files, but I can tell you that Capture One Pro (for Sony only) and Capture One Express (for files from my Fujifilm XF10) simply does amazing things with raw files and with the best default sharpness I've seen from anything.
Old 20th June 2019

Thanked 1,257 Times in 942 Posts
Liked 5,995 Times in 1,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
It is said that it is almost impossible to write 500 lines of computer code and to not introduce coding errors. Try it and see.

From the little I've read here it appears Olympus use the consumer to debug their code. (I'm still unsure if they use uncommitted gate arrays or instruction based computers.) For the speed requirements of digital cameras I suspect they use both. They refer to 'firmware' as a generic term as most people haven't got a clue, or simply don't care. If it catches a bird in flight, job done.
500 lines without bugs - dream on. I'd put it at fewer than 50 lines. Maybe 5 for the incompetents. But so what? Software dev is about an engineering practice that extends beyond coding. It's patently true that developing successful software is not just possible, but is evidenced by pretty well everything you touch in everyday life. Sure there are the occasional bugs that creep into production - but that's true of any human endeavour. In the camera world, we don't need to look far to find hardware bugs - the Nikon D600 oily shutter springs immediately to mind.

As to firmware, I don't see the need to split hairs here. It's clear that it applies to the software that's installed in the solid state memory of the camera and that the software matters enormously to the features, performance and usability of those cameras. That's all that matters. I don't do BIF either, but many do and the software makes a huge difference to the ease of doing it. I see no problem with that at all.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 20th June 2019

Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internaut View Post
So, who can tell me if the new OWS option to edit using the camera's JPEG engine would allow me, for example, to take a raw and edit in details priority (which I understand to be a JPEG only option, not affecting raw)? More importantly, would details Priority yield a better result than using the best raw processer*?
Maybe you always get "Details Priority" when using Workspace. The whole thing is a mystery. There seems to be an implication that Details Priority takes the camera a longer time to process, so long that it can slow up the frame rate. Note that the Details Priority feature applies only if you are using ISO L64 or L100. Why would you be rattling off lots of frames with a low ISO, which I would have thought was more for the slow careful work of a landscape photographer. (See page 202 of the new manual).
Old 20th June 2019

Liked 363 Times in 95 Posts

Quote:
Why would you be rattling off lots of frames with a low ISO, which I would have thought was more for the slow careful work of a landscape photographer. (See page 202 of the new manual).
I do this a lot shooting motorsport tbh. I like slow shutter pans and when you're down at circa 1/25 you need ISO 64 to keep the aperture wide enough to prevent diffraction, and also 'hide' the fencing if you're at a track with a lot of catch fencing, and that's even with ND filters

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, Panasonic Leica 100-400mm, 40-150mm f2.8, 40-150mm f4-5.6 R, 45mm f1.8

My Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99443690@N04/

www.tobygunneephotography.com
Old 20th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
500 lines without bugs - dream on. I'd put it at fewer than 50 lines. Maybe 5 for the incompetents. But so what? Software dev is about an engineering practice that extends beyond coding. It's patently true that developing successful software is not just possible, but is evidenced by pretty well everything you touch in everyday life. Sure there are the occasional bugs that creep into production - but that's true of any human endeavour. In the camera world, we don't need to look far to find hardware bugs - the Nikon D600 oily shutter springs immediately to mind.

As to firmware, I don't see the need to split hairs here. It's clear that it applies to the software that's installed in the solid state memory of the camera and that the software matters enormously to the features, performance and usability of those cameras. That's all that matters. I don't do BIF either, but many do and the software makes a huge difference to the ease of doing it. I see no problem with that at all.
Yes I recollect it being said 50 lines of code. All depends on language being used, I think I could easily stall the computer with 10 lines of assembler.

on flickr