Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 7th June 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Safari Back-up camera

Hi all,

I have been regularly taking my E-620, 50-200 and EC 1.4 on safaris with me, as well as the kit lens and the 75-300 as a back up in case the 50-200 fails. I also usually take along my Panasonic FZ18 as a back up for two reasons,
1. if I don't fancy lugging the oly around on walking safaris, and
2. in case the E-620 fails.

However, I have recently noticed some probs with my FZ18 - the zoom has become intermittant and the programme dial is not selecting the correct programme. So my question to you all is what to do about a back up?

The options as I see them are:

1. Get the 18 fixed or, probably cheaper to buy another used model.

2. Try and borrow the FZ28 from a friend of mine.

3. forget it and just use the oly

4. Forget it ad just use the Oly but get a second body as a backup?!

5. Or replace with a newer model. People on the panasonic forum at DPreview have been advising to replace with the new FZ150. But, this camera is quite expensive, and I couldn't use the FZ18 batteries and extension tube for the TCON-17 that I own on it.

I am going away on safari again at the end of July so will need to have made a decision by then. What would you folks suggest?

Thanks,

Jo
Old 7th June 2012

Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Re: Safari Back-up camera

If you're going down the superzoom route again and dont want to go for the FZ150 I used to have the FZ38 which was excellent. As this is now an older model they can be picked up for a good price, and if existing batteries dont fit then 7dayshop used to do a very good spare. In the same vein I still have an older TZ10 which again is pretty good and is also pocketable.
Old 8th June 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks I get the impression that there is an incremental change in performance across that series but that there a quite a few benefits to the 150 above the ill fated 100. But at present I'm sitting on the fence trying to decide whether I should maybe just get a second body for my Oly kit.
Old 8th June 2012

Liked 105 Times in 36 Posts

I'd suggest a Micro 43 body of your choice plus Lumix 100-300 (as it's cheaper than the mZuiko equivalent). Lumix G3 probably best bang for the buck right now, esp as EVF would help on safari. GH-2 ultimately the better buy if you are a raw shooter.

More than you were planning on spending, but more capable than the superzooms.
Old 9th June 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hmm. that is an option I hadn't thought of but since I have a range of 4/3 lenses already I'm not really sure I want to invest heavily in a second lens system. Thanks for the idea though. Getting a second body for my existing kit has the advantages of being able to use the same cards, batteries and all so I might just go down that route.
Old 11th June 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The ideal back-up camera is the *same* is your main camera, so that when your main camera breaks there's no difference in the handling of your spare camera. My last trip to Namibia I had 2x E-300s in operation, and my colleague also had an E-300 but was actually shooting video, so I then had the run of 3x E-300s!

The best way to work is NOT as a main camera and a spare camera, but as a camera with this lens, and a camera with that lens. ie to use the bodies as a way of keeping your lenses mounted ready to shoot, rather than changing lenses on the same body. Especially in a dusty wildlife environment. Once you've tried this, it makes life so much faster, especially in situations where you might be using a 300mm one moment and a 30mm the next, ie wildlife!

Nowadays I'm using an E-600 as my main camera, but keep (both) my E-300. And when I need the speed/back-up, I mount my long lens on the E-600 and the wide-angle on the E-300.

Hope this helps,
RAC
Old 11th June 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks, yes that does help. The only thing though is this particular safari is going to involve a lot of walking by the looks of it (we are going to Mana pools in zimbabwe. If course if I have one camera in my back pack with the small lens and carry my man camera and 50-200 it should be doable I guess.