Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 18th August 2019

Liked 3,834 Times in 1,771 Posts
Scanner Mode

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/puffin...rmware.105325/

Quote"As many opportunities as were happening, I was having major difficulty locking on to focus--frustrating. I know my settings pretty well, but I'd moved a few things around with the new firmware and something was obviously wrong. I tried changing my focus points, messed with the sensitivity, changed from focus priority to my usual shutter priority, and even tried C-AF tracking, all with pretty poor results. I was beginning to think that Oly had released a firmware downgrade. My best success with the flyers was to spot an incoming bird and track it through the evf until it came close enough to get a decent capture. But I still had long strings of OOF frames and often it would just not lock on. I noticed that my focus points were not lighting up under the bird when it moved around under my all-points focus mode, and suddenly I realized I had the scanner set to mode 2, instead of the proper BIF mode 3. When changed, the joy of 3.1 came rolling back big time. What a change!" End Quote

This article appeared the above newsletter. Never really thought about nor understood the AF Scanner mode. I have changed a couple of my BIF settings to see if his waxing lyrical claims work. I wonder whether there is a downside having the AF scanning continually...………..

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to MJ224 For This Useful Post:
OM USer (18th August 2019)
Old 18th August 2019

Liked 619 Times in 221 Posts
Re: Scanner Mode

Dont know but mine is on 3 for BIF.
Old 18th August 2019

Liked 1,606 Times in 790 Posts

I just checked mine for bif shooting and I too had it set to Mode 2. Just changed it to Mode 3. So lets see what happens. One possible downside might be more battery use I guess.

Thanks for the original post Mark.

My Flickr
Old 18th August 2019

Liked 3,140 Times in 890 Posts

Thanks Mark. I have just checked mine but it was already set to Mode 3 so, unfortunately, that is not a magic solution for me.

Probably not the correct thread for this but I would be interested to hear what settings others use for AF Center Priority. I have mine ticked for 5, 9 and 25 points and I suspect that might not be the best choice.

Ron
Old 18th August 2019

Liked 619 Times in 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
Thanks Mark. I have just checked mine but it was already set to Mode 3 so, unfortunately, that is not a magic solution for me.

Probably not the correct thread for this but I would be interested to hear what settings others use for AF Center Priority. I have mine ticked for 5, 9 and 25 points and I suspect that might not be the best choice.

Ron

I dont use center priority, i use center start on my nine box set, i took the view it was more likley to focus on backgrounds if my center spot came of target.
The Following User Says Thank You to mik For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (18th August 2019)
The Following User Liked This Post:
GyRob (19th August 2019)
Old 18th August 2019

Liked 79 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Nor me, just got the 300 pro lens and am having trouble keeping focus (possibly user error)

Roy
Old 18th August 2019

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Mine is on mode 2 for static wildlife. Just changed to Mode 3 to see how it goes. Will test on Tuesday if all goes well.
Old 18th August 2019

Thanked 1,340 Times in 1,045 Posts
Liked 2,189 Times in 1,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post
I just checked mine for bif shooting and I too had it set to Mode 2. Just changed it to Mode 3. So lets see what happens. One possible downside might be more battery use I guess.

Thanks for the original post Mark.
I noticed (& probably decided at the time) mine was set on Mode 2 & also decided to change to Mode 3. I doubt it will have much difference with battery use as it just means it will cycle longer than once if focus isn't achieved first time.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 21st August 2019

Liked 119 Times in 55 Posts

Scanner set to mode 3 can be a problem. It all depends what you want to happen if you can't keep the subject under the chosen focus points and if there is any other detail in picture to grab focus.

The scanner only comes into play if there is not enough detail in the image for the normal pdaf method to work. This can happen if the lens is completely out of focus or if the subject under the focus points has no detail, such as a blue sky. When the scanner runs, it racks the focus back and forth to try to get some detail to focus on.

So, in the case of tracking a bird against a clear sky, if I move the focus off the bird, the focus points can see no detail and the scanner may (probably depending on C-AF sensitivity) be invoked. This is the last thing that I want because racking the focus will make the bird go completely out of focus which means that I cannot recover tracking it.

So, I have my Scanner set to mode2, the idea being that it will invoke the scanner for the initial AF acquisition but not again if tracking is momentarily lost. However, this raises the question of what happens when the scanner is not run on the initial focus acquisition. WIll it run when I first lose track of the subject? I am not entirely sure.

Setting the scanner to mode 1 will ensure that the scanner will never be invoked. That will guarantee that the camera will not rack the focus when you lose the subject but it also means that you have to pre-focus, at least approximately, before every shot otherwise the camera may not be able to focus at all.

It is quite educational to set the scanner to mode 1 and see what the camera will and won't focus on. With my 300mm lens, it will really only fail to focus when shifting from a very close subject to a very distant one, or vice versa.

I think I may experiment again with Scanner set to mode 1 because I haven't tried it since firmware 3.0 came out. It may be with this firmware's increased preference for the closest subject, that mode 1 could work quite well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TonyR For This Useful Post:
MJ224 (21st August 2019), pault (21st August 2019), Ross the fiddler (21st August 2019)
Old 21st August 2019

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I Glad you mentioned MODE 1. Reason, with my Canons I always pressed the BBF to refocus anyway, so just might do that with this OMD1 Mk2. So Mode 1 or 2 just might be the best. Me thinks now that Mode 1 will be same as what I was doing with my Canon gear. Cheers n Beers, Dennis.
Old 21st August 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Russ View Post
I Glad you mentioned MODE 1. Reason, with my Canons I always pressed the BBF to refocus anyway, so just might do that with this OMD1 Mk2. So Mode 1 or 2 just might be the best. Me thinks now that Mode 1 will be same as what I was doing with my Canon gear. Cheers n Beers, Dennis.

Dennis,

I don't think Scanner mode will have any special interection with back-button focus. It should work the same whether AF is BB or on the shutter button.

Are you confusing SCanner mode with AEL/AFL mode? Or am I confused?
Old 21st August 2019

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Maybe I am I don't know LOL. All I know is, if I press BBF n keep it pressed it follows focus until I take me thumb off of it. If it loses Focus I just refocus and away I go..That is Simple so why does OLY confuse things, or is it me confused LOL
Old 21st August 2019

Liked 79 Times in 23 Posts

I think we should all try the different settings and report our findings here.
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (22nd August 2019)
Old 21st August 2019

Thanked 1,340 Times in 1,045 Posts
Liked 2,189 Times in 1,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Russ View Post
Maybe I am I don't know LOL. All I know is, if I press BBF n keep it pressed it follows focus until I take me thumb off of it. If it loses Focus I just refocus and away I go..That is Simple so why does OLY confuse things, or is it me confused LOL
It's whatever works for you & if that is effective then that's good. I don't do much that is C-AF but I only use the the shutter (half press) method & have done with all my cameras so am used to doing it that way (particularly useful for ProCapture). It's great we can customise the camera as much as we can, although I wouldn't mind the E-M1X though with all the dedicated buttons it has (although still customisable if desired).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 26th August 2019

I've been using Scanner Mode 1 (i.e. no scanner) for the past few days and I think I rather like it. However, it is a trade-off in that although the camera has less tendency to lose focus when you drop off the subject, the camera might not focus at all. However, there are ways around this problem.

I pretty much always use the focus limiter. For bif, I usually have the range set to 15-200m. The problem with not using the scanner at all comes with switching from very near subject to distant ones. If I am shooting close up, I tend to use the physical switch on the 300mm to set the limiter to 1.4-4.0m. When you do this the focus is forced into this range even before you touch the shutter button. Similarly, when I switch back to bif, I but the physical swicth back to full range thus re-engaging the software limit of 15-200m. This usually provides the AF system with enough (blurred) detail for the C-AF to work. However, I do check that it will focus at the expected required distance and if not, "jog" the focus there by focusing on ever more distant subjects.

Hope that makes sense!