Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 23rd February 2010
Radar

My first portraits

I borrowed a studio light from the Photographic Society to play with. Used my flash in addition as fill light. Took in total 15-20 pictures and these were the ones I were satisfied with. Any advice on what to change in the light setting? Add a reflector? Lighter background?

Old 23rd February 2010
Administrator

Liked 1,631 Times in 943 Posts
Re: My first portraits

Hi,

Portraits, in the main, are all about the eyes. In both they are sharp which is essential. Once you get beyond getting the eyes absolutly right, it's pretty much personal choice as for the way you set things up.

There are nearly as many books written about portrait photography as people taking them and every one has a "style" that the writer has developed and likes to produce. So you will just have to do the same and develop that style that you like most.

I started doing portraits a few years back and have taken many thousands of images of many many people. Every one is different and I use different techniques on each of them, more so as the mood takes me rather than how I think they would "look their best"... Sometimes it works and sometimes not but every single time I learn lessons on how to do it better next time.

The thing I make most comments on when looking at images is "distractions":

The 1st has, what looks like a set of wings attached to the girl that is only showing on the RHS and add nothing to the picture but a distraction

The 2nd has some light marks on the background and the tip of an emblem on the jumper that could easily be cloned out to get rid of the distractions.

Some may comment on the pose. These are kids, it has cost you a fortune in treats to get them to sit for you and these are a typical kids pose, so well done for getting anything this good. (Now make good on the promissed treats )

May I suggest you borrow one of their stuffed toys (again it will cost you) and play with lighting that and bring back the girls to each of the different sets to see what works best for each of them.

Most important of all - Have fun

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 24th February 2010
Radar

Thanks for commenting. The first photo is taken in between a "flying session" with my 5-year old. She wanted me to take a picture as she was "flying" with her wings. I'll try to remove the wing on the RHS in PS later.

The second photo was sort of a candid shot as she was leaning on the chair. I see the stripes on the wall and it's really distracting. Will have to play more with PS later. I didn't notice the top of the logo but after you mentioned it I see it all the time.
Old 24th February 2010
Radar

Edited the photos :

Old 26th February 2010
ewan

Well done radar, like the eyes on the first and the way the hair falls over the hand on the second. Overall I prefer the lighting, tones and contrast of the second image.

regards ewan