Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 4th April 2019

Liked 282 Times in 145 Posts
Re: Street Photography by Nick Turpin

I watched the Turpin video and so wish that I hadn’t wasted my time. Where was the mood of the street? There we had a plain hoarding, the Tower and a guy recumbent looking at his smart phone. I have to say that I have never understood the attention given to Turpin’s work and this video just entrenched my opinion. Why not instead look at the work of Helen Levett where you will find energy and wonder as portrayed by a consummate street photographer?

There is much more that I could add but having wasted 20 or so minutes of my life on that pap, I’m not inclined to spend any more time decrying that video, simply awful.

David
Old 4th April 2019

Liked 194 Times in 132 Posts

I watched it and quite enjoyed it, even though street isn't my thing.

Next day I was wandering round town taking my normal fare of buildings and architectural details, and look what I did by mistake! :-) (I'm not planning to give up the day job ...)

The Following User Liked This Post:
Ricoh (5th April 2019)
Old 5th April 2019

Liked 282 Times in 145 Posts

Better than anything Turpin was likely to get from his riverside location Rob.

Maybe you’ll catch the bug by taking a peek here:

https://www.stevesmithphotographer.com

I’ve met Steve a couple of times and recently he came to our camera club. He is a master Street and documentary photographer and the quality of his prints is superb. Enjoy!

Also one for Steve Ricoh

David
RobEW (5th April 2019)
Old 5th April 2019

Liked 4,027 Times in 1,844 Posts

Quite liked the Nick Turpin video. Seeing the photos taken is interesting. His Fuji is a little unbecoming camera, whereas the EM1 2 kinda sticks out. Do you think that makes a difference to peoples attitude??

Steve Smith took a liberty when photoing a copper taking a leak. Not good practice I think for various reasons...……...

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 5th April 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
I watched it and quite enjoyed it, even though street isn't my thing.

Next day I was wandering round town taking my normal fare of buildings and architectural details, and look what I did by mistake! :-) (I'm not planning to give up the day job ...)

Just did a quick iPad crop by zooming in and I think it looks better without the railings...

on flickr
RobEW (5th April 2019)
Old 5th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dave View Post

I’ve met Steve a couple of times and recently he came to our camera club. He is a master Street and documentary photographer and the quality of his prints is superb. Enjoy!

Also one for Steve Ricoh

David
Thanks for bringing this guys work to my attention; he's very good. I found it interesting too why he's returned to film - much like the reasons I also returned to film (although I do 50:50 approx, 50% digital 50% film).

on flickr
Old 5th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Quite liked the Nick Turpin video. Seeing the photos taken is interesting. His Fuji is a little unbecoming camera, whereas the EM1 2 kinda sticks out. Do you think that makes a difference to peoples attitude??

Steve Smith took a liberty when photoing a copper taking a leak. Not good practice I think for various reasons...……...
Why do you say 'unbecoming'? The Fuji is close to being pure with almost direct control of the triangular exposure variables. If I was starting today, with the knowledge I have acquired, I'd choose Fuji without a doubt.

on flickr
Old 5th April 2019

Liked 4,027 Times in 1,844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Why do you say 'unbecoming'? The Fuji is close to being pure with almost direct control of the triangular exposure variables. If I was starting today, with the knowledge I have acquired, I'd choose Fuji without a doubt.
Maybe the wrong word.. really meant inconspicuous...……….

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 5th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Maybe the wrong word.. really meant inconspicuous...……….
Black is the least conspicuous of course, but it's irritating having brand names emblazoned on the front of cameras, Olympus, FujiFilm, LUMIX, etc. Apart from using electricians' tape the alternative is to choose a camera without a logo, eg the Leica MP or MA.

on flickr
Old 5th April 2019

Quote:
Black is the least conspicuous of course, but it's irritating having brand names emblazoned on the front of cameras, Olympus, FujiFilm, LUMIX, etc. Apart from using electricians' tape the alternative is to choose a camera without a logo, eg the Leica MP or MA.
I'm not keen on carrying advertising, but as both of these are £3k+ I think I'll stick with Oly. :-)
Old 5th April 2019
Administrator

Thanked 3,182 Times in 2,486 Posts
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,155 Posts

Quote:
Just did a quick iPad crop by zooming in and I think it looks better without the railings...
I agree, but they are easily cropped. Nice one!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
RobEW (5th April 2019)
Old 5th April 2019
Administrator

Quote:
I watched the Turpin video and so wish that I hadn’t wasted my time. Where was the mood of the street? There we had a plain hoarding, the Tower and a guy recumbent looking at his smart phone. I have to say that I have never understood the attention given to Turpin’s work and this video just entrenched my opinion. Why not instead look at the work of Helen Levett where you will find energy and wonder as portrayed by a consummate street photographer?

There is much more that I could add but having wasted 20 or so minutes of my life on that pap, I’m not inclined to spend any more time decrying that video, simply awful.

David
I found it useful to see how he operates, but I thought his shoot at the Bank of England was better than Tower Bridge.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 5th April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
I'm not keen on carrying advertising, but as both of these are £3k+ I think I'll stick with Oly. :-)
Red Dot Cameras of London had an MA (Type 127) on sale for £2,800. I came within a whisker of part ex'ing my M6... Buy one of those it would last a life time, then pass it on to your son or daughter, and he or she could pass it on to their kids. (Assuming film is still around of course!) The MA is a pure mechanical camera, no electrical gadgetry within. Just needs an oil lubrication and adjustment (CLA) now and again.

on flickr
Old 5th April 2019

Quote:
Thanks. I'm still something of a novice and getting my eye in. And for street photos (if that's what this is) a complete novice. Also this is completely free from post processing except automatic RAW conversion (DXO default) and slight cropping. (I'm guessing it would be inappropriate to the genre to declutter distracting items out of the background, such as the air conditioning unit and two lights above and beyond the revolving door ...)

P.S. I've reposted this on the "suggested improvements" board so as to avoid derailing this thread further.
Old 5th April 2019
Administrator

Quote:

Also one for Steve Ricoh

David
Thanks David, his site is certainly worth a visit.

RobEW (5th April 2019)