Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 22nd January 2017

Liked 543 Times in 381 Posts
Saving the camera settings

As I may have to change camera bodies I tried out the Olympus Camera Updater to save the settings I have already made to the camera.

I then tried to interpret the saved files to see what I could see.
The Full set of settings were not understandable with out a program to read them, the text view was not easily comprehensible

The MySet data looks as if it could be human readable - but as I had not set up any MySets I was not able to interpret the data.

So more news when and if I load the data into a new body.

Interesting to note that Oly are using a new style of USB socket and plug, this is the third type I have, it means that if taking the MKi and MKii on a trip one needs to take two different types of USB cables and two types of batteries and chargers. I suppose it is to incentivise us to buying two Mkiis
Old 22nd January 2017

Liked 122 Times in 80 Posts
Re: Saving the camera settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Interesting to note that Oly are using a new style of USB socket and plug...
The one benefit is that the MkII socket is an industry standard one so the cable is easily replaceable.
Old 24th January 2017

Liked 234 Times in 202 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
As I may have to change camera bodies I tried out the Olympus Camera Updater to save the settings I have already made to the camera.

I then tried to interpret the saved files to see what I could see.
The Full set of settings were not understandable with out a program to read them, the text view was not easily comprehensible

The MySet data looks as if it could be human readable - but as I had not set up any MySets I was not able to interpret the data.

So more news when and if I load the data into a new body.

Interesting to note that Oly are using a new style of USB socket and plug, this is the third type I have, it means that if taking the MKi and MKii on a trip one needs to take two different types of USB cables and two types of batteries and chargers. I suppose it is to incentivise us to buying two Mkiis
Comes back to what I remember was a recent comment about being able to generate and save settings on an external device (Can't say PC/Laptop nowadays - could be your phone, or even if we believe CES, your toaster!!
Anyway a wish list nudge for Olympus
Old 1st February 2017

Liked 543 Times in 381 Posts

I have had to rely on the settings recovery in anger (ie the settings had been reset to clear a fault ) and low and behold it worked.

and the camera fault has appeared to be resolved as well.
Old 2nd February 2017

Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts

I relied on it after returning one E-M1ii and replacing it with another. The saved settings from the first camera loaded perfectly into the second.