Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 16th September 2008
tlove

Re: Continuous AF on the E-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD View Post
No Thea, you are not going against the grain. In fact its the short burst technique that I am adopting. One question though - what af target scheme are you using? I have a couple more but first I thought I would ask this one.

Peter
I sense myself walking into some trouble here tee hee !

I must admit that I usually use the centre spot myself. I sometimes use the diamond selection, more rarely all points. Centre spot works for me because I have found that some of my focusing difficulties occur when I use either of the other two settings.

I have to say that I too am still very much experimenting with different methods, still trying to find one that works. What I am finding, though is that there seems to be no one way that works for all occasions!
Old 16th September 2008
tlove

Hopefully I won't get shot, or worse barred for doing this, but this video from the PhotoAnswers website was what got me started on my wildlife photography technique:

http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/Video-...p/?&R=EPI-1658

It lasts approx. 10 minutes and Chris Weston gives (I thought) some pretty useful information on setting up and taking photos of wildlife. Although done at a bird of prey centre, the information can be applied to all aspects of bird photography. I found it very useful as it got me going on using C-AF etc.

Cheers
Old 16th September 2008

Liked 37 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlove View Post
I sense myself walking into some trouble here tee hee !

I must admit that I usually use the centre spot myself. I sometimes use the diamond selection, more rarely all points. Centre spot works for me because I have found that some of my focusing difficulties occur when I use either of the other two settings.

I have to say that I too am still very much experimenting with different methods, still trying to find one that works. What I am finding, though is that there seems to be no one way that works for all occasions!
I have found more success with the centre cross. The reason for this is that I am using a Bigma and the total weight is such that to accurately position the bird at the centre spot is difficult when hand holding.

Quote:
Hopefully I won't get shot, or worse barred for doing this, but this video from the PhotoAnswers website was what got me started on my wildlife photography technique:

It lasts approx. 10 minutes and Chris Weston gives (I thought) some pretty useful information on setting up and taking photos of wildlife. Although done at a bird of prey centre, the information can be applied to all aspects of bird photography. I found it very useful as it got me going on using C-AF etc.

Cheers
The video was excellant. Thanks for posting it.

The only time that IS is switched off was when taking shots on a tripod. This makes sense from my experiments although I do not use a tripod myself. The camera/lens in use did not seem to have an option to switch off ISO in one of the planes (ie IS 2). Now this is an area that is worthy of further dicussion. So, to sum it all up. Thank you Thea for posting your comments and the link. You are doing far more in bringing out the conversation regarding C-AF so please do not feel you are out of step. You definately are not. This is the sort of topic we older hands used to discuss in depth and its great to see this happening again.

Well done and thank you.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 17th September 2008

Liked 897 Times in 409 Posts

Quote:

Cheers
Thea

thanks for posting this. It was very useful. Lots of insight and good to watch.

Peter

You can see some of my things on Flickr
Old 21st September 2008

Smile Re: Continuous AF on the E-3 - Update 21 September

I went out on a shoot with PeterL Saturday afternoon and took a series of C-AF images of Swallows in flight over the lake at the Water treatment plant, Southmoor.

I chose the swallows as they are fast fliers and at about 100yds distant, very small and difficult targets to track. This I thought would be a good test of the C-AF (and of course the lens and camera). I have posted one image in the gallery and re-produced it below. I have put the settings used in the photo description for those who are interested. In this sequence, I took a burst of 6 shots with two failures but the rest were clear. I have selected this image as it not only demonstrates the clarity of the bird but also the clarity of the reflection in the water.

Using any other shooting method would have failed to capture anything and offer this to encourage others to use this mode.

PeterD

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 21st September 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Continuous AF on the E-3 - Update 21 September

Nice clear image there Peter, you have shown very clearly that the C-AF mode works well.

Old 21st September 2008

Thanks John. The important thing with C-AF is that you must first lock onto the target with a half press on the shutter BEFORE taking a burst of shots.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 21st September 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

OK, thanks. I must try out C-AF on some subjects.

Please remind me Peter, do you use the diamond or 11-point auto focus mechanism when on C-AF...? I appreciate you may have mentioned them in threads/posts on here, but so as they are to hand, what other settings should I consider for a trial of this mode...?

Old 21st September 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
OK, thanks. I must try out C-AF on some subjects.

Please remind me Peter, do you use the diamond or 11-point auto focus mechanism when on C-AF...? I appreciate you may have mentioned them in threads/posts on here, but so as they are to hand, what other settings should I consider for a trial of this mode...?
John,

The 11 point target mode has never worked properly for me - YET - but the 5 point , or cross, is what I am currently using.

The reason I have settled for 5 point is as follows:
To shoot wildlife moving objects requires hand held shots as you need full freedom to follow the subject.
When using a long focal length lens the angle of view is very tight and it would be imposible to track a subject on the centre target alone. Using 5 targets increases your chances of keeping the subject within the target area and hence maintaing focus during the burst of frames. 11 targets is just too large an area when covering a small subject and the AF may pull off and be attracted to another unwanted object. I am working on this at the moment.

Other things to consider:
Make sure your AF is not pulled by sudden changes in focus (see Wrotniak article). I keep this as a permanent setting.
Study the subject before shooting, even doing a trial track first.
I keep IS1 mode on as my shots are hand held and I have never had a problem with this setting.

Hope this helps.

Its good light today and a good opportunity to give it a trial.

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/