Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 12th December 2007
beardedwombat

Re: Useful E-3 firmware changes we would like to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
I beg to differ. Anti shock is not the same as mirror lock up, it is a delayed action . Mirror lock up means that after locking the mirror up, the photographer takes the photo when he/she determines the right time is and is not confined to the delay set in camera.

Dave.
Yes but the delayed action works quite well in practice. It should be grouped with single/sequential/self-timer/remote shooting mode and accessed from the direct button as it is a function that is frequently used.
Chris
Old 12th December 2007

Liked 970 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedwombat View Post
Yes but the delayed action works quite well in practice. It should be grouped with single/sequential/self-timer/remote shooting mode and accessed from the direct button as it is a function that is frequently used.
Chris
Yes for most stuff it will work, but for a Pro model, it realy should have the option of locking the mirror up so that I can decide when to take the pic.
Dave.
Old 13th December 2007

Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts

I would like to see the Infra-red remote release separated from the bracketing exposure in the drive mode.

As far as I can tell you can not use the infra-red release to take a picture with a bracketed exposure, it only works for a single shot.
Old 14th December 2007
beardedwombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
I would like to see the Infra-red remote release separated from the bracketing exposure in the drive mode.

As far as I can tell you can not use the infra-red release to take a picture with a bracketed exposure, it only works for a single shot.
You can use the IR remote release for bracketting but you have to push the button for each exposure as you can't use the remote for sequential shooting.
Old 15th December 2007

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emirpprime View Post
How about being able to set My Modes to be able to be used without having to hold the Fn button? I might have missed something with this but it ruins the use for me. Instead I use Custom Reset settings to store my setting modes.
Also, being able to rename and manage them, and have more, would br amazing Especially if they showed in Studio/Master and could be backed up. I think this is really really important, for me
Phil
It's there already, but the whole My Mode/Custom Reset thing is a bit of a mess, and very unintuitive. Once you've set a My Mode it will appear in the spin through the modes as you hold the Mode button down.

Bruce
Old 15th December 2007

Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Link NF settings to ISO

Most of the time I shoot JPG, and try to get it right in camera. The NF adjustments are nice and fine, but a pain to change as you change ISO. We will all have different ideas of what we want to use, some will turn it off all the time, others will leave it on one setting, but it would be great if you could allocate particular NF settings to particular ISOs so NF setting changed as you change ISOs.

I've done some tests using the excellent FastStone browser to compare the four NF settings side-by-side for each ISO. I'd probably set it off for 100-320, Low for 400-1600, and Low or Standard for 3200, although shooting Raw really looks the answer for 1600 up.

Bruce
Old 16th December 2007
beardedwombat

Another useful mod for me would be the ability to swap round the functions of the dials when the mode button is pressed. If you are looking at the top lcd panel (as I do) when changing main settings, it would be more logical to have the rear dial change the single shot/sequential/timer/remote etc and the front dial change the shooting mode as the icon for the former is nearer the rear dial and the icon for the latter is nearer the front dial.
Chris
Old 16th December 2007

Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts

Bit of a tall ask but it would be handy to be able to use both CompactFlash and xD-Picture slots at the same time e.g. write RAW to CF and JPG to the xD.
Old 16th December 2007
TakeToTheHills

It would be nice to be able to swap the rotation direction of the shutter speed rear dial. It has to be turned counter-clockwise to increase speed, which seems counter intuitive to me. The aperture - being at the front of the camera turns the correct way.

HDR bracket >5 fps of 0,-2,+2 without intermediate mirror reset (with a single trigger press similar to the way ISO bracket works).

Super-resolution mode - using the X-Y IS to half/random pixel shift the sensor without mirror reset between shots.

Interval timer - 1 frame per 10s/20s/30s/1m/2m .... etc.

Basic contrast AF in live view.
Old 18th June 2008
AshMills

I would really like - Press delete, camera goes straight to playback yes/no delete image screen, like the E1 did.

Also Id like the ability to have the SSWF operate on power-down rather than power up, just to save a moment on startup, and placate the reviewers..

Also I find there`s a delay on the mode changes - if that could be reduced I would`nt miss the (quicker and frankly better) mode dial on the E1/E4**/E5** etc.

I would love contrast detect AF on Live View, and the abilty to turn off the AF for live view so the mirror could stay up, and we have silent capture...

Finally I would love olympus even more if they added focus confirmation to legacy lenses.
Old 18th June 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,621 Times in 934 Posts
Post Re: Useful E-3 firmware changes we would like to see.

Multi-Spot Metering - As per C-8080 & OM3/4 PLEASE

Graham

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 18th June 2008
250swb

SSWF on power down? So you'd rather have any dust on your sensor removed after taking your photo's, not before? Baffled
Old 18th June 2008

Liked 970 Times in 372 Posts

Lower iso's, 25,50.
Dave.
Old 18th June 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,527 Times in 2,153 Posts

More "My Modes." These are a fantastic way to quickly access favourite settings for different situations and more than to would be really useful.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 26th June 2008

Liked 132 Times in 74 Posts

I'd like to see +2.0 and -2.0 EVs added to AE Bracketing.

Steve