Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 21st January 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts
Is it something I am doing wrong?

Just been out today with the E-M5 and a freshly charged original battery. It was pretty cold and I was out for about an hour, I'd taken about 50 shots when I noticed the dreaded red flash - familiar to many E-M5 users. I thought nothing more as it was pretty cold but when I got home I put the offending article on to charge and nothing happened! This is the third Olympus official battery I've had fail, one on the E30, one on the E5 and now this. Cheap nasty third market batteries seem to last as long and go on forever - long live dodgy eastern battery makers I say!

I will be sending the battery back to SRS tomorrow to see if they can help, although I know the warranty does not cover batteries. Never had a problem with original batteries from any other manufacturer - my Leica Digilux battery, yes I only ever needed one, would last for around 900 shots and was still working perfectly when I sold the camera at around six years old. Another black mark against Olympus!

David
Old 21st January 2013

Liked 157 Times in 79 Posts
Re: Is it something I am doing wrong?

I can't comment as I only use dodgy eastern batteries myself.

E-M5, 20mm/1.7, 45mm/1.8
OM-1N, OM-10, OM-4ti, 24mm/2.8, 50mm/1.8, 85mm/2, Tamron 70-210mm/3.5
cariadus.com | flickr | tumblr
Old 21st January 2013

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts

Yep I'm a big fan of dodgy batteries myself.
I agree with what has been said and to me it falls onto the same bottomless pit of despair that hugely expensive Oly official lens hoods reside in.
It's not enough to make me forsake Oly but it does p*ss me off when I see budget Sigma lenses selling complete with lens hood, and the lenses are not all bad.
I personally think that Oly need to climb down from their Ivory Tower and start treating their loyal customer base with a wee bit more respect.

Rant over.

"Always shoot in RAW and avoid JPEGs"

William Shakespeare.
Old 21st January 2013

Liked 564 Times in 336 Posts

Olympus obviously have no idea there is a reccession on, I just looked at the price for an EC-20 at 387.00.

Nikon @ 142
Kenko @125.00
Sigma @ 174.00
Canon @238.00
Old 22nd January 2013

Liked 363 Times in 151 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Melaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Morison View Post
Just been out today with the E-M5 and a freshly charged original battery. It was pretty cold and I was out for about an hour, I'd taken about 50 shots when I noticed the dreaded red flash - familiar to many E-M5 users. I thought nothing more as it was pretty cold but when I got home I put the offending article on to charge and nothing happened! This is the third Olympus official battery I've had fail, one on the E30, one on the E5 and now this. Cheap nasty third market batteries seem to last as long and go on forever - long live dodgy eastern battery makers I say!

I will be sending the battery back to SRS tomorrow to see if they can help, although I know the warranty does not cover batteries. Never had a problem with original batteries from any other manufacturer - my Leica Digilux battery, yes I only ever needed one, would last for around 900 shots and was still working perfectly when I sold the camera at around six years old. Another black mark against Olympus!

David
I have a problem with a Hahnel battery which lasts only three or four dozen dozen shots. I'm waiting to see if a few charges improve things before sending it back.

EM1ii, EM10ii
Old 22nd January 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

I've had more chargers fail than batteries, but never "official" ones, of any make. I would be more than a little peeved if an "official" one failed so soon.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 22nd January 2013

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
I've had more chargers fail than batteries, but never "official" ones, of any make. I would be more than a little peeved if an "official" one failed so soon.
I've had a similar experience Stephen.
My Expro dual charger has failed twice now, the first time when the LEDs stopped indicating the charge status. Second and most recent when I plugged the dual charger into the mains which accompanied by a disconcerting pop!

To their credit Expro UK RMA'd and replaced the first one and are in the process of doing the same for the second one. I do wonder about the quality of the charger though, mind you it is handy having the dual version.

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 22nd January 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
To be fair it could be the charger that is at fault and as SRS have asked me to return the battery I will send the charger as well. Strange that the battery has enough left in it to operate the camera but won't charge so maybe......

David