Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 25th November 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,182 Times in 2,486 Posts
Liked 4,536 Times in 2,158 Posts
Re: Anyone else got this with their EM-5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyver View Post
John,
I use a model 'B9' Acra compatible plate from Really-Right Stuff. It is square and has a shallow anti-rotation flange. You can fit it with the fllange at the front or back - so it wouldn't interfere with the viewfinder deployment. See here for details: http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.as...pusEM5&key=cat

They also make some smaller Acra compatible Q/R plates - which are intended for P&S cameras but would probably be OK with an EM-5 or the PENs unless you were using a heavy lens.
See here: http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.as...t&code=BodyPnS.

Some words of caution are relevant. RRS products are excellent quality and priced accordingly! In addition they only sell direct and the shipping charges from the USA (even for such a small item) will add at least $36 to your price. There is also the Import duty and it's collection fee to pay at this end - so the total cost to you is heading towards 65 !!
Thanks Chris, that's the ideal long term solution but the price is a bit of a deterent at the moment. Still, I have saved the page in my favourites for future reference. In the meantime I'm going to try making a thin rubber shim to alleviate the pressure on the screen whilst using my existing plates.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 25th November 2012

Liked 1,345 Times in 802 Posts

The Really Right Stuff plates are only a solution if your tripod head has an Arca Swiss compatible clamp.

David M's Photoblog
Old 25th November 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The Really Right Stuff plates are only a solution if your tripod head has an Arca Swiss compatible clamp.
That's what makes it a long term solution!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 25th November 2012

Liked 1,345 Times in 802 Posts

John, if you're looking at going with an Arca Swiss based QR system in the future there are probably plates available in the UK. I know Kirk and Acratech custom plates were available from UK suppliers last time I checked.

David M's Photoblog
The Following User Says Thank You to David M For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (25th November 2012)
Old 25th November 2012

Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
I may be wrong (I usually am ) but this may be a case of mass hysteria.

Like everyone else I couldn't resist checking mine. Guess what? I eventually found the reported "crack" although it took a bit of finding with a magnifying glass.
When I first checked my camera I did not see the crack but on looking carefully with a bright light and a loupe there it was. As it is such an insignificant crack I intend to ignore it unless Olympus advises otherwise.

R0011919.jpg
Old 25th November 2012

Liked 33 Times in 11 Posts

I've been reading this thread and examining my OMd and so far found nothing.
Just a thought, if this 'crack' is being caused by being over tightened on a tripod plate/ mounting then maybe the reason some of us who are not suffering from 'crack' syndrome
is because we have either not mounted them on a tripod or have the battery grip fitted which has negated the problem. Does that make sense?
My theory is, I bought mine at around the same time as some of the 'crack' sufferers
but from the minute it came out of the box it was attached to the battery grip which has been on there ever since. It is on and off a tripod every day.

Just a thought.

"Always shoot in RAW and avoid JPEGs"

William Shakespeare.
Old 25th November 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seonnaidh View Post
Just a thought, if this 'crack' is being caused by being over tightened on a tripod plate/ mounting then maybe the reason some of us who are not suffering from 'crack' syndrome
is because we have either not mounted them on a tripod or have the battery grip fitted which has negated the problem. Does that make sense?
My theory is, I bought mine at around the same time as some of the 'crack' sufferers
but from the minute it came out of the box it was attached to the battery grip which has been on there ever since. It is on and off a tripod every day.

Just a thought.
That makes sense.

Old 26th November 2012

Thanked 1,344 Times in 1,049 Posts
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seonnaidh View Post

Just a thought.
Maybe. I might have used my tripod once before my grip was attached, but either way, it is a design fault that would be nice if it could be modified (for when tilting the screen down). A camera is designed to be mounted on any tripod fixture & if there was an issue with clearance, then a noted warning would need to be known. If this is the actual & only cause, then mine shouldn't get any worse if I continue with my grip plate attached & that should apply to all others that use an Oly grip or other aftermarket ones that clear that area. Here's hoping anyhow.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 26th November 2012

Liked 195 Times in 130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
If this is the actual & only cause, then mine shouldn't get any worse if I continue with my grip plate attached & that should apply to all others that use an Oly grip or other aftermarket ones that clear that area. Here's hoping anyhow.
Not in my case Ross, I've only ever used my own home made plate which offers enough clearance. In the short term, I don't see it being a problem anyway; only if cracks start to propagate all the way round and bits start dropping off.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
The Following User Says Thank You to peak4 For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (26th November 2012)
Old 26th November 2012

Liked 753 Times in 499 Posts

Mine appears to have it, and I don't recall having once put it on a tripod. it looks like a common feature so I'll not fret about it until Oly have had time to look into it and let us know what's happening.

Ciao ... John
Old 26th November 2012

Liked 665 Times in 283 Posts

Re the tripod plate pressing on the base of the LCD, I have tried a Manfrotto cheapo plate and a Gitzo one. When I examine the base of the LCD with a magnifier there is a visible gap between it and the plate on the Gitzo. The Manfrotto has a gap when it's lightly tightened, but this closes up when the plate is tightened up fully. This must be to do with the compressibility of the rubber pad on the plates. You can also check by sliding a bit of paper between the plate and the LCD. If you can't do this you may be damaging your LCD.

m4/3: E-P2, EM-5, 100-300, 14-42mm 12-50mm, 45mm, panny 14mm. 4/3: 7-14 + Flashes & tripods & stuff

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Flickr gallery
Old 26th November 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If mine were to show a crack I'd certainly want it to be attended to immediately under warranty. Even with no crack there is the potential for it to happen to mine in the future, due to bad design. The camera is designed to be mounted on a tripod, without any warnings about the screen, therefore the manufacturer is to blame unless they say every cracked unit has been abused. Here's my reasoning as to why you should claim:

1/ Any 'claim' or potential claim under most warranties has to be reported immediately. This is to mitigate the costs of repair, as a small issue may be cheap to repair when caught early enough but more expensive if left to develop. Although these cracks are unlikely to become much more developed, Olympus could use any delay to defend a later warrranty claim.

2/ If left, you may become 'happy' with the crack and not realise your warranty period has expired. Once expired, if the crack becomes worse you may regret not having claimed.

3/ If the crack is caused by unknown stresses, future repetition of this stress may cause a catastrophic failure causing the unit to become unuseable in the middle of an important shoot or holiday.

4/ Upon future resale a known issue like this will be checked for by a prospective buyer, reducing the value of those affected. Those repaired will be favoured by buyers.

5/ Personally, I don't like using knowingly 'damaged' kit. Makes me feel uncomfortable.

Olympus should be inviting owners with cracks to return their OM-Ds for repair. I imagine they are working on a solution now. As this is now a widespread issue and the unit seems to be of 'unsatisfactory quality' I think a product recall of ALL OM-Ds should be happening quite soon. That includes mine.

--------------------------
Old 26th November 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mine has the centre crack - very fine/barely discernible. It certainly wasn't caused by tripod mounting - there's a couple of mm clearance there. It looks like the screw/panhead is too large for the hole and tightening it in manufacturing causes a slight bulge in the frame.

I can't think it's a lot to worry about. If the problem becomes more acute, Olympus will have to fix, but it doesn't look like any significant breach of the weather seal to me. People with more significant cracks may feel differently of course...
Old 26th November 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMC View Post
If mine were to show a crack I'd certainly want it to be attended to immediately under warranty. Even with no crack there is the potential for it to happen to mine in the future, due to bad design. The camera is designed to be mounted on a tripod, without any warnings about the screen, therefore the manufacturer is to blame unless they say every cracked unit has been abused. Here's my reasoning as to why you should claim:

1/ Any 'claim' or potential claim under most warranties has to be reported immediately. This is to mitigate the costs of repair, as a small issue may be cheap to repair when caught early enough but more expensive if left to develop. Although these cracks are unlikely to become much more developed, Olympus could use any delay to defend a later warrranty claim.

2/ If left, you may become 'happy' with the crack and not realise your warranty period has expired. Once expired, if the crack becomes worse you may regret not having claimed.

3/ If the crack is caused by unknown stresses, future repetition of this stress may cause a catastrophic failure causing the unit to become unuseable in the middle of an important shoot or holiday.

4/ Upon future resale a known issue like this will be checked for by a prospective buyer, reducing the value of those affected. Those repaired will be favoured by buyers.

5/ Personally, I don't like using knowingly 'damaged' kit. Makes me feel uncomfortable.

Olympus should be inviting owners with cracks to return their OM-Ds for repair. I imagine they are working on a solution now. As this is now a widespread issue and the unit seems to be of 'unsatisfactory quality' I think a product recall of ALL OM-Ds should be happening quite soon. That includes mine.

My feelings also. (Except for the general recall, as mine is of impeccable build quality) Fortunately mine is, so far, uncracked, and the screws are all in to the same depth.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 26th November 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mine has a crack too

I don't have the option of returning it to my dealer (Jacobs) so I'll hang on a few days until Olympus come up with a solution; hopefully one what doesn't cost me a fortune in insured postage.

I had a similar issue with my E-3 and I'm sure there was a backlog of repairs until Oly sourced enough replacement parts. And as my bright (un)shiney new 12mmm black lens arrived today, I'll not be in any immediate hurry to send the E-M5 off and be without it for days/weeks.

(P.S. I'll be asking them to sort out the wearing paintwork on the top of prism at the same time)

BTW, despite these little niggles I still absolutely love the camera.

(p.p.s. Just remembered I've got a screen protector on there .... it's not likely to transfer over cleanly, so that's another cost for a new one )

E-M5, XZ-1
Olympus mZ.45, mZ.12-50, mZ.12 Black, FL-36, MAL-1, HLD-6
Panasonic Lumix G 20/1.7, GX 14-42