Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 15th March 2012
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Photoshop: Placing an image on a separate background

Photoshop: Placing an image on a separate background

OK, I am going to show you how to get a plain model body shot placed onto a much nicer background, using Photoshop. I have seen more straightforward methods of achieving this in Elements (and there's a tutorial by OlyPaul I think on here somewhere), but this is a method of doing it using Photoshop and layers.

It uses some advanced techniques (extract, layer style etc) that I haven't mastered to the level of expert as yet, but the tutorial will at least show you how to make a selection, create a layer, extract this layer from an image, and place it on another separate image.

The effect we are after is this...

What we do in this tutorial is:
  • Have a background image ready (I sourced the one used in the tutorial from the internet)
  • Use the 'Quick Selection Tool' in Photoshop to create a selection around a model
  • Amend the selection by using the 'Add to Selection' and 'Subtract from Selection' tools (I don't go into Refine mode)
  • Create a new Layer from Copy
  • Add this layer to the desired background image
  • Use Layer Style to add a drop shadow effect to the extract
This is a long(ish) 10 minute screencast, but can I politely request that you are not over critical with the 'extract' procedure I used. I do understand there's significant room for improvement of the selection I make and I that there's a lot more work needed to create a clean and precise extract; but extracting per sť isn't the main subject of this particular screencast.

I also know that Elements has a very good tool for extracting segments from images and replacing the background - but I don't have elements and haven't used that method. Maybe someone with Elements can record a screencast...

Old 15th March 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: Photoshop: Placing an image on a separate background

OOh! signing up here for UPDATES
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 15th March 2012
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Photoshop: Placing an image on a separate background

Hi Chevvyf1

Well, I've recorded a screencast, but it was hard work to do this without making loads of mistakes and re-recording. This was done in three individual chunks, without a script or anything written down so my apologies for grammatical errors and its clunkiness!

It might take Youtube a few mins to process the upload before it's available.

Hope it helps...