Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 1st February 2012
Adam Easton

Your thoughts welcome

Hi all

I am interested in your thoughts.

I have recently joined the local Camera club, this month competition is mono. I have not spend a lot of time studying mono so I am interested in your thoughts on this image.

Jesus Green Avenue

Thanks
Old 1st February 2012

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Your thoughts welcome

Hi Adam,
I will say, that I almost instantly reckognized this view - having taken a photo or two from almost exactly the same location:

I converted mine into B&W for better comparison Okay, this should be enough bragging - of having once in my life made a visit to Cambridge ...

There is one thing which I don't like in your picture and that is the very prominent shoe of the girl. It just jumps at me and distracts me from the main image. Maybe you got an other one, where this is not so visible?!

Falk
Old 1st February 2012
Adam Easton

How funny is that!

Your focus is nice!

I think it was her walking style. It is the same in the other frame.

I rejected this as the top of the lamp post is missing

My other idea was this one.

Old 2nd February 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,183 Times in 2,487 Posts
Liked 4,539 Times in 2,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Easton View Post
Hi all

I am interested in your thoughts.

I have recently joined the local Camera club, this month competition is mono. I have not spend a lot of time studying mono so I am interested in your thoughts on this image.

Jesus Green Avenue

Thanks
Hi Adam, there are some nice touches in this picture which helps bind all the elements together. Firstly, the line of lamp posts echoes the lines of trees. Then there is the matter of the worn paint (?) on the posts, making virtually every one appear to be black and white striped - this is important, because it connects with the foreground figure who has a light shoe and light hair, with black clothing in between. The lady then connects with the two figures, also in dark clothing, near the opposite end of the path. For me, these repetitions and connections make an interesting geometry which holds my interest. In my opinion the light (almost white) shoe is vital and quite fortuitous. You were right to keep the tops of the lamps and in any case this version is by far the best. I like this picture.

The shot of the bench does little for me, I'm afraid the river leads my eye straight out of the picture, although there is an interesting angle on the bench.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 2nd February 2012

Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,338 Posts
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,156 Posts

I agree with John the first is definitely the best.
Old 2nd February 2012
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

I too like the first image, however - are you permitted to alter it in any way? If so, I'd perhaps remove the other people in the shot such that only the lady remains thus focussing the eye to her and where she is going?

Also - I'd use Lightroom to pull out more detail and especially enhance the contrast.

Old 2nd February 2012

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

I prefer your original image posted and disagree with Falk because from the angle of view if the bottom of her shoe was not visible and the position of the foot was different she would look static and standing still and you would lose the feeling of her moving through the image.

PS if it bothers you (and it does not me) it is very easy to darken the white of the shoe a little.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 2nd February 2012

Quote:
How funny is that!
I thaught so

Quote:
Your focus is nice!
Thank you! Mine was shot with the cheapest lense there is (ZD17,5-45) in the whole Oly-portfolio

John describes how well you did with your first picture and why - and I guess he could sell me a worn out car within minutes and as others have agreed, I will say: don't give my thought to much of a thought. From the three candidates I also like the first one best anyways ...

Falk
Old 2nd February 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falk View Post
I thaught so

Thank you! Mine was shot with the cheapest lense there is (ZD17,5-45) in the whole Oly-portfolio

John describes how well you did with your first picture and why - and I guess he could sell me a worn out car within minutes and as others have agreed, I will say: don't give my thought to much of a thought. From the three candidates I also like the first one best anyways ...

Falk
Haha! Neither of us is right or wrong, it is just too seperate opinions and it's up to Adam to choose which he agrees with!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 2nd February 2012
Adam Easton

Thank you all for you input.

The "shoe" is interesting If I was to "set up" the image it is not something I would do. But some how, for me it works and give me a sense of movement.

I would of preferred a wider depth of field for me it is to shallow. The opportunity was to brief.

The contrast and brightness puzzles me I have tried it with all sort of settings and I have no idea what works best
Old 2nd February 2012
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Quote:
The contrast and brightness puzzles me I have tried it with all sort of settings and I have no idea what works best
What is it about this that puzzles you Adam...? What are you trying to do with the contrast/brightness settings?

Old 2nd February 2012

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Thank you all for you input.

My own taste would be to have it more moodier and darker.

For your consideration doing gradient burn from each side to the edge of the path leaving the subject and path the brightest part of the image.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 2nd February 2012
Administrator

I knew we could rely on Paul to do a good job!

Old 2nd February 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

My first thought was being disappointed in the too-bright greys on the trees, then Falk posted his which was nicer for me, tonally.
Then Paul darkened them down (smidgen too much?) to a nicer overall picture.
So, there you go : Lots of good input in this thread!
Old 2nd February 2012
Adam Easton

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyPaul View Post
My own taste would be to have it more moodier and darker.

For your consideration doing gradient burn from each side to the edge of the path leaving the subject and path the brightest part of the image.

Thanks for that!

Having not work with mono much I we reluctant go more extreme. I will experiment further before I make my final decision.