Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 19th November 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,186 Times in 2,490 Posts
Liked 4,565 Times in 2,171 Posts
REALLY Bad Portraits Competition.

Following the popularity of the recent REALLY Bad Landscapes Competition Thread, I've been encouraged to start a similar thread based on the Taylor Wessing Portrait Awards.

I must say that I do not think any of the pictures in the above link are bad portraits and most of them I enjoyed, but I do think the winner was far more of a snapshot than the others featured. About a decade ago the annual Kobal Portrait Awards were always controversial and often rewarded some very questionable (in photographic terms) portraits.

But the seed has been sown, I want to see some cliched, snapshot or, preferably, REALLY BAD portraits - all with an Arty B@ll@cks Statement of course!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (19th November 2011)
Old 19th November 2011
Administrator

Re: REALLY Bad Portraits Competition.

To get things underway, here is my first entry:-

Teenage Mutant Zero

In this work I wanted to capture a typical teenager engaged in her favourite activity in her natural environment. But I also wanted to go further than this and explore the potential for overlap and cross-over between the arts, combining traditional artistics skills such as photography with modern art and living sculptures. I also wanted to reflect the influences of other artists, synergised with my own talent to produce a truely remarkable fusion of art, craft and etherial imagination, lifting the seemingly banal onto a higher plane that allows an exploration of self-awareness for those liberated enough to embrace the possibility that it is the concept of art and the feelings which the artist experienced in order to conceive it that matters, rather than the finished product. Thus, I have extended the concept of Tracey Emin's Unmade Bed to include a person, in this case a teenager, to make it truely a vision of living art.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 19th November 2011

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I do hope you have the models full permission for this photograph John. In writing, and signed in blood over a picture of todays teen superstar (David Cassidy, Jason Donavan, George Osborne, or whoever). Otherwise I predict 15 years of pure hell and recrimination.

Though I've always liked tortoises, can't help feeling that a more colorful shell might be appopriate.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 19th November 2011

Liked 1,345 Times in 802 Posts

The lonely fisherman contemplates the meaning of life (in between bouts of chewing the face off his girlfriend) as the sun rises on a primeval land (apart from the dock he's standing on and the range light behind him).

David M's Photoblog
Old 19th November 2011

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts

This is possibly the worst portrait I've done so far...in my defence, it was totally unposed and unprepared and was simply a quick grab shot with my compact camera...it's such a cliched shot...child, puppy...what's not to love? The llttle guy decided to bring his puppy into the cabin whilst we were on an overnight fishing trip...I'd left my Oly on my peg, so I had to make do with the compact...

Not sure it's allowed into the competition as it was actually taken with my little Samsung compact.

Janet

Old 19th November 2011

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

Janet, I am sorry but I think that this image has to be disallowed in this competion, not because it's taken on a samsung, but it does have two faces in it, they are looking at the camera, they are in focus, no distracting backgrounds etc... how good can it get.
Now this might be getting closer?

"The objective (of a portrait) is to display the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the subject. Like other types of portraiture, the focus of the photograph is the person's face" Wikipedia,
hence my entry. The absence of a face engages the viewer in a 'what if' or a 'why' scenario, i.e If I could see his face what would I see? Why is he lying on an empty beach? Why is he wearing trousers, shoes and socks but no top? etc. The viewer has to work in order to engage with and interpret the image and goes away with a sense of satisfaction in knowing that he didn't just view an image he/she has interacted with it.
Old 19th November 2011

Liked 1,345 Times in 508 Posts

The received wisdom is that a classic portrait should:

Involve somone else.
Use a 40 to 50mm "portrait" lens.
Be carefully posed and considered beforehand.

I beg to differ:

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 19th November 2011

Liked 34 Times in 12 Posts

Hear I have shown my skills in composition and in focus background also in bokeh. please don't disqualify me this time John.

Old 19th November 2011
Stock Shooter

Liked 61 Times in 37 Posts

I do not do much portraiture as a rule and, in any case, a prestigious competition like this deserves a picture specially shot to match the brief.

My inspiration was the current exhibition of paintings by Leonardo Da Vinci.

Sadly I understand it lacks the Mona Lisa as the Louvre would not let it go for fear that the loss of visitors would further damage the already precarious French Economy.

I am now able to correct this sad omission as I found Mona in person in Whitby this afternoon.

Of course Leonardo’s original is shot in the old fashioned "face on" style whereas mine has a dynamic 21st century look.

I was able to discuss the pose with Mona, and agreed to shoot her best side, whilst skilfully capturing that famous enigmatic smile.

No need for a 45mm, the 17mm was a perfect choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mona_B193542.jpg (82.9 KB, 38 views)

OM-D E-M1 OMD-E-M5ii Various Olympus lenses
Old 19th November 2011

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

I have to say Janet's photo certainly doesn't belong in this thread.
I'm looking for bad portraits but they're really hard to find or they've been deleted. The easy to find stuff is ... easy to find but wouldn't be appropriate here.
I'll keep looking ...

..Ah found a one.
E-600, out of focus, too-slow shutter, missing head and LOOK AT ALL THAT GRUNGEY NOISE.
Old 19th November 2011

Liked 106 Times in 58 Posts

This poor German soldier, lost in time, peruses both his surroundings and means of escaping them. As in life, everyone else studiously ignores him, as though he does not exist in their reality.

Is he dreaming ? The off axis verticals combined with the soft focus suggest he may be doing just that.

He gazes longingly at the carriage, seeing it as a doorway back to a life he remembers.

german.jpg
Old 19th November 2011

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts

Pah! I really thought my first entry was a contender! I can't believe now that I was so pleased with it at the time...

Here's a more considered entry, with suitable AB to accompany it...

Each work grows, stays, decays – integral parts of a cycle which the photograph shows at its heights, marking the moment when the work is most alive. There is an intensity about a work at its peak that I hope is expressed in the image. Process and decay are implicit.

Old 19th November 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
I do hope you have the models full permission for this photograph John. In writing, and signed in blood over a picture of todays teen superstar (David Cassidy, Jason Donavan, George Osborne, or whoever). Otherwise I predict 15 years of pure hell and recrimination.

Though I've always liked tortoises, can't help feeling that a more colorful shell might be appopriate.

Nick
George Osborne? That's a bit fanciful isn't it? Maybe he'll appear on next years X-Factor under the stage name "Gideon." Talking of 'X' factor, I wonder if he will still have it at the next election?

Old 19th November 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post

The lonely fisherman contemplates the meaning of life (in between bouts of chewing the face off his girlfriend) as the sun rises on a primeval land (apart from the dock he's standing on and the range light behind him).
I see the figures you refer to, David, but I think it's pushing things a little far to describe it as a portrait. Beautiful landscape, though - the sort that would sell for $4.3 million if there was any justice in the art world!

Old 19th November 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
This is possibly the worst portrait I've done so far...in my defence, it was totally unposed and unprepared and was simply a quick grab shot with my compact camera...it's such a cliched shot...child, puppy...what's not to love? The llttle guy decided to bring his puppy into the cabin whilst we were on an overnight fishing trip...I'd left my Oly on my peg, so I had to make do with the compact...

Not sure it's allowed into the competition as it was actually taken with my little Samsung compact.

Janet
If you class this as a bad portrait I think viewing one of your better ones would just be too demoralizing for me! This is a great shot, but it aint gonna win this comp!