Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 3rd November 2011

Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
One up for Olympus cameras

Not sure if this is the right place to put this,

Hi I went to a national conference in London, last weekend and got talking to a pro photojournalist and exchanged emails, I got an email from one of the organisers, and this was attached to their email.

“
Have you seem Dave Swinnerton's shots? They're much better quality than mine. His camera has a much higher ISO range than mine, and the difference in quality in low light is enormous, as you'll see immediately. He's got no low-light noise, and he maintains a great colour tonal range. He's also got a very good eye. I suggest, honestly, that you ask him if you can use his shots rather than mine. They all look so much better.

”
He emailed me asking what camera I was using, and told him Olympus E30 and His reply I’ll have to get me one.

Not sure what he meant by Higher iso range unless he was referring to lower noise levels at high iso, we were not aloud to use flash, as some member in the conference had problems with flashes.

One for Oly there I think, not sure what camera equipment he was using.

Didn't think to ask.

Dave
Old 3rd November 2011

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts
Re: One up for Olympus cameras

...if you have no pre conceptions you can see more clearly...
...go on ask him what he was using and how it was set
Old 3rd November 2011

Hi Chris not really bothered what camera he has, I was just so chuffed that a pro tog thought that my photography skills under low light is that good that he would tell them to use my images as they were better than his, his words not mine.

But saying that, take away there flash guns and they struggle it seems.

Perhaps he has never needed to rely on low light without flash, as you probably know it is more important to get your exposure right in camera with high iso, than at say iso 200, which makes a difference with getting cleaner or noisy images.

Dave
Old 3rd November 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,185 Times in 2,489 Posts
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,167 Posts

Nice one!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 3rd November 2011

Liked 888 Times in 311 Posts

I think you need to factor in your skill with perhaps a higher percentage than you give yourself credit Dave.
The E-30 is certainly capable but you are the guy looking through the view finder and twiddling the knobs
Well done

Olympus equipment
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 4th November 2011

Thanks guys for your comments, I put this up to encourage others new to 4/3rds that they are not as bad as some people make them out to be. We have to work harder to tweak out the best our equipment can deliver, I am not knocking other cameras, I was so thrilled that a tog thought what I got out of the camera was good enough in his opinion, and thought he should look at changing his camera.

But maybe he should be looking at what he could do to improve his technique using his camera in low light without flash. Yes I do stretch myself and I do get it wrong a lot of the time, but I try to find out why it went wrong and how I can improve.
Back in the film days I would never put film in that was more than 400 iso, because I couldn't afford to experiment as I can now.

I met a guy with a Nikon d300 he said he would not go above 800iso, yet some other guys using the same kit go to 3200 or 6400 and not have a problem with it. noise can be a problem it could also work for you its knowing how to use it and not try to abliterate it to become unnatural looking plasticy as some may say.

Dave