Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 17th June 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1st Model Shoot

Constructive crits and comments very welcome

(Latest Work)

Equipment - Olympus stuff - 'nuff said
Old 17th June 2011

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts
Re: 1st Model Shoot

they are good but perfect? (better than I could do)
For me the lighting is too harsh and in make-up and post production I think you need to control the 'shiny' areas...and you have to clone out her zits!...but looking forward to your next set...
Old 17th June 2011

Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Thumbs up Re: 1st Model Shoot

Like number 1, classy
E3, HLD-4, ED 14-45, ED 40 - 150, ED 70 - 300, 35 Macro, Zuiko 50 -1:8, EC14, FL36, i-shoot remote trigger, RM-CB1, T20, Lightroom 5, Elements 9, Slik 800G Deluxe, Jessops MP223 Monopod, Tamrac Expedition 3, Tamrac System 3. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-piccys/. Twitter @ian_double_one
Old 17th June 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks both....ooooooh crimbo, that zits comment....owch... But I guess honest is honest

You're right about the lighting, but this was at our camera club and I didn't really have that much control over things. I'd like to work with her again tho. This was HER first shoot too and I think there's a lot of potential there. VERY easy to work with, intelligent, responsive, imaginative...far better than the two younger girls who were also modelling at the same time

(Latest Work)

Old 17th June 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Here's the only shot I like of one of the other two

(Latest Work)

Old 17th June 2011

Liked 135 Times in 43 Posts

Ref your 1st set - She's a real pretty girl, but it's such a shame about the lighting (harsh and direct in the extreme). I also would have liked a full head shot with a bit more room to see more of her mane.

The third shot looks the best to me, and with a bit of modelling in the lighting could have been excellent - the first two have some issues for me. Too much skin softening; the WB looks a bit iffy, and not enough sharpness in the second one.

....but if you have no control over the lighting, there's not much you can do I guess... as long as you enjoyed yourself, that's the main thing!
Old 17th June 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekHog View Post
as long as you enjoyed yourself, that's the main thing!
Loved it

(Latest Work)

Old 17th June 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts

The lighting is harsh - and there are some hard-edged shadows. Portraits can work with harsh lighting, but it's very difficult to get it right and usually requires a particular type of pose or look.

One general point, it's advisable to keep critique posts to one image per thread as the focus of the critique can become a bit blurred.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 17th June 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I quite like no 3 although no 1 could have been the best shot for reasons already mentioned.
Old 17th June 2011

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Hi, hope you don't mind but I've had a bit of a play with your image.

Regards

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg model3.jpg (62.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 17th June 2011

Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallaWolf View Post

You're right about the lighting, but this was at our camera club and I didn't really have that much control over things.
Hi Ceri, the thing is that in portrait photography the lighting is a big part of the equation and you are judged on that as much as you are on the subject.

So I am still going to critique the lighting even though you had no control so when you do you will bear it in mind.

Judging by the harsh shadows and small point light source catch lights in the eyes I would say it was a single light source with just a standard reflector dish and no light modifer on it ( and probably tungsten ).

The light is to harsh and to frontal for this type of subject in my opinion.

Lighting apart...

No 1 ,plus point the model is beautifully relaxed and has a very nice hint of a natural smile that makes the image sing.

Minus points- there is to much white of the eye showing on just one side, if you wish to have your subject look out of the frame do it so there is some white of the eye showing on the other side however little.

I do not mind the hair covering one eye as it can be seen through it (though others might object), the hand being broadside on and nearer to the camera than the face is something to be avoided in portraiture. Saying that once again I commend you for getting such a great natural look from the subject.

No 2, I'm afraid this one does nothing for me and the lighting is all over the show as can be seen from the nose shadow, so I will pass on this one.

No 3 is the best of them, the lighting is classic Rembrandt /Paramount Lighting (as can be seen from the butterfly shadow under the nose) and suits the look/pose of the subject very well. So a thumbs up for no3.

To be honest I would have processed it differently to suit that type of lighting, hope you do not mind me posting it as a view to showing what I mean. A few minutes in Elements to make it low key Rembrandt lighting and give it a 50's Hollywood look.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Old 17th June 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh boy - to both Pauls, I love the extra processing - could you tell me what you did to get such different effects...?

(Latest Work)

Old 18th June 2011

Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,338 Posts
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,156 Posts

Ceri thanks for posting these portraits I can't offer any critique as the originals are way better than anything I could have done but in terms of viewing pleasure I like the pose and feeling of no 1 and for me the stunning look of the B&W. You have been able to get some excellent critique from the others here too. The comments have been really excellent guys and very er can I say en-lightening (sorry for the pun). Myself, and I'm sure a lot of others reading this, have learn't a lot from this thread already. I'd love to know how the Pauls did their processing too, both images looked great. Thanks again Ceri for kicking off this excellent thread.
Old 18th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Ceri

As per the other comments, lighting is a very large element of the final photograph. It is in all photographs which is why the landscape photographer who sees the sunrise usually produces something that little bit more special. But at least with studio photography you have control over that. Looking at the comments you will be able to think what you would like to do differently in future or if you invest in some flashes yourself (it can be done cheaper much cheaper than studio lights - see David Hobby's Strobist blog and DIYPhotography for ideas).

On to the critique:
1. Lighting is far too harsh - the reflection in her eye shows us that the light source was small. You will often see such close in shots with a large (relative to the iris) rectangle of light reflected where the light has been shot through a softbox to soften the light and minimise the shadows.
Colouring - the hair is fantastic and frames the shot well. The skin tone could afford to take some more yellow saturation (I think it is yellow, colouring and skin tones is a particular weak spot of mine).
DOF - this is nice, the eye is pin sharp and I don't mind the fact that the kips and hands are soft.
Distractions - I don't find her ring a strong enough element to keep in, especially as it is in the soft part of the image, and the sleeve draws the eye away from what should be the focus of the image which is her eye and hair.

2. Lighting and colouring (more so in this shot) are per the 1st shot

3. As Paul has said this is your Hollywood lighting and your model really suits this. Pick of the bunch.
Lighting - much softer and very pleasing plus nice direction from above to give the butterfly under the nose. Possibly consider placing a reflector underneath to lift some more detail in the bottom right corner so that there is more separation of her hair from the black dress
Composition - her hair is creating a slight shadow down the left hand side of her face. She just needed to pin this back of have someone hold it back so this wasn't there. I would have asked her to remove the earring as the highlight is a little distracting. Linked to holding the hair back, or by darkening this region in post processing I am finding the little blue/grey background on the right hand edge of the photo a tad distracting. It lessens the intimacy almost claustrophobic nature of this style of shot. It suggests there is a world beyond her which is not what we want to see or imagine. Beware such areas on the edges of photos which are a completely different tone to the rest of the photo (ie bright spots at the edge of an otherwise dark photo, or dark spots at the edge of a higher-key image - unless included as a deliberate attempt to frame the image).
Colouring - Olypaul's processing to focus the light on the subject's face works really well. Although he doesn't say so, to my mind he has altered the skin tone a little and this also pays huge dividends. Paul do you mind sharing what you have done here, or is it my eyes playing tricks?
4. It seems a shame to do a mono conversion when the model has such wonderful colour in her hair. But it is in keeping with the Hollywood style, so perhaps take OlyPaul's edit and work on that. Also add a bit more contrast.

As you say you are limited in how much you can change your lighting when doing this sort of thing on a club night, but is a great chance to look at your photos and think what would you like to change if you had the chance.

Olympus E-30 | Falcon 8mm fisheye | 8mm fisheye | 12-60mm | 25mm f/2.8 pancake | 40-150mm | 50-200mm | 70-300mm | Tamron 135mm f/2.5 | EX-25 | FL-36R | YN460 & YN460-II | B&W ND110 | Lightroom 2.7 | Photoshop CS3
flickr - Photo52 2011
My Photo52 2011 Thread on TP
Old 18th June 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyPaul View Post
Paul,

that is a great edit. The edit to pull the lighting works really well. Did you do anything in terms of saturation or channel mixing as the skin tone looks more pleasing too in this photo or is it an optical illusion?

Olympus E-30 | Falcon 8mm fisheye | 8mm fisheye | 12-60mm | 25mm f/2.8 pancake | 40-150mm | 50-200mm | 70-300mm | Tamron 135mm f/2.5 | EX-25 | FL-36R | YN460 & YN460-II | B&W ND110 | Lightroom 2.7 | Photoshop CS3
flickr - Photo52 2011
My Photo52 2011 Thread on TP