Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk

Accessory talk Those important extra system components.

Old 31st March 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Polarising Filters: screw on or system?

11-22mm = 72mm
14-54mm = 67mm
70-300mm = 58mm

It's the holders et al I am not sure of Garrie, thanks for the help, I guess I swallowed a 'stupid pill' for dinner...

Old 31st March 2008
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Hi,

No worries..

The standard P sized holder should be sound mate..
http://www.surreyphotographyshop.co....oducts_id=1090

Although I would maybe consider this for the 11-22
http://www.surreyphotographyshop.co....oducts_id=1240
Not sure if you would get vignetting with the standard P sized holder on the 11-22 as I don't own one(wish I did though lol) Might be worth a gamble with just a standard holder.

Adaptor rings..
11-22
http://www.surreyphotographyshop.co....roducts_id=421
14-54
http://www.surreyphotographyshop.co....roducts_id=420
70 - 300
http://www.surreyphotographyshop.co....roducts_id=418

What ND grad you going for, The one I pictured was the ND8 P121S but I think Cokin do a set of 3 grads as a kit (121, 121M and 121S)

Cheers
G
Old 31st March 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Thanks again Garrie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie View Post
What ND grad you going for, The one I picturde was the ND8 P121S but I think Cokin do a set of 3 grads as a kit (121, 121M and 121S)
...errrrm.... one for a noobie!

Sorry mate - I have no idea, all new to me this filter stuff...

Old 31st March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wouldn't use a Cokin P with the 11-22 You will get one hell of a lot of vignetting. If memory serves me correctly any ring size over 67mm will vignette at a focal length of wider than about 22mm on fourthirds. Your options are to go for the Cokin X series, which are larger filters so less vignetting or go for a screw in for the 11-22mm and the P for the others.

Ian C.
Old 31st March 2008

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
I wouldn't use a Cokin P with the 11-22 You will get one hell of a lot of vignetting. If memory serves me correctly any ring size over 67mm will vignette at a focal length of wider than about 22mm on fourthirds. Your options are to go for the Cokin X series, which are larger filters so less vignetting or go for a screw in for the 11-22mm and the P for the others.

Ian C.
The P series with the wide angle holder works fine on the 11-22, the only thing is that stops you stacking filters - but does mean the filters are interchangeable with your other lenses.

Personally I'd go for the ND grad kit

http://www.cokin.co.uk/pages/kits.htm which includes the standard holder

then you just need the polarising filter, 3 adaptor rings and the wide angle holder.

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 31st March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Temple-Fry View Post
The P series with the wide angle holder works fine on the 11-22, the only thing is that stops you stacking filters - but does mean the filters are interchangeable with your other lenses.

Personally I'd go for the ND grad kit

http://www.cokin.co.uk/pages/kits.htm which includes the standard holder

then you just need the polarising filter, 3 adaptor rings and the wide angle holder.

Nick
I have to admit I didn't know they were doing a W/A holder this makes the system more flexible.

Ian C.
Old 1st April 2008

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Filters, I have a Polorising screw in filter (alway look for 2nd hand, can get some nice bargins for a fraction of the price) and when mounted on top of the other lens filter I have I get a small amount of Vignetting at the 12 end of the 12-60mm lens.

As for system filters, I have used Cokin for many years, mainly for black and white, but I found that there ND Filters gave a silght colour cast on some of the films I used to use. So I stopped using them.

I now use Hitech Filters and they are mounted into either a 85mm or 100mm filter holder http://www.formatt.co.uk/stills-filt...s-filters.aspx
I don't think they are that expensive, but I think they are better than the Cokin ones. Anyway worth a look

Kit: Olympus OM4, OMD E5 MkII And some other junk to make it all work.
Old 1st April 2008
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc View Post
I have to admit I didn't know they were doing a W/A holder this makes the system more flexible.

Ian C.
I linked it in my post under 11-22 bud
Old 1st April 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you have a spare P size holder, it's also easy to cut the front couple of slots off with a Dremel (or similar). It eliminates vignetting with the 11-22mm. However, how practical it is to use a polariser with this lens varies somewhat - it becomes prone to banding at the widest end, and I often just use an ND grad.

If you're on ebay, I'd also recommend Loobylin's as a supplier ( http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Loobylins-Film-Camera-Shop ): they do both Cokin and Kood. I've found them very fast and very reliable.

If you have deep pockets, take a look at the Lee system ( http://www.leefilters.com/camera/ ). Glass rather than resin, and supposed to give superior performance and durability, but at a price! However, I've been using Cokin filters since the late 1980s, and as long as you're careful with them, they give years of use. I keep my ready use filters in a Cokin padded wallet - more convenient than the boxes.

I tend to leave the P adaptors fixed to my 11-22 and 14-54 all the time, and only take them off when I need a lens hood. I think that's the only drawback with the system filters, although I have a Cokin modular lens hood I bought years ago that I haven't used since 35mm days... Keep meaning to see if it's usable.
Old 1st April 2008
Sam M

I've also been thinking about filter system, mainly for use of multiple filters, grads, NDs etc, so this had been some great info. However I've always had circular screw on polas, which are probably easier, more portable and I imagine cheeper...

Sam
Old 1st April 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam M View Post
I've also been thinking about filter system, mainly for use of multiple filters, grads, NDs etc, so this had been some great info. However I've always had circular screw on polas, which are probably easier, more portable and I imagine cheeper...

Sam
Whether they would be cheaper is moot: it depends how many you need. With Cokin or Kood you need just one filter holder and one set of filters, plus one adaptor ring per lens. I can't imagine using ND grads without a Cokin or similar mount.
Old 1st April 2008
Sam M

Cheaper, as in starting price of Hoya circular Pola from £16 (Amazon). Cokin, filters alone look like a lot more...

Sam
Old 1st April 2008

Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts

From my experience Cokin P series ND and ND grad filters should be avoided. They are not true neutral density and the gray colour introduces a magenta colour cast.

An example:

I do not have the funds to try several alternative filters so I am interested to find a reliable make that does not introduce a colour cast. I made a mistake buying Cokin and would not wish anybody to make the same mistake.

Last edited by Invicta; 1st April 2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 1st April 2008
Sam M

That (colour cast) looks extreme! I can't believe they sell them like that. (No chance you can return them?)

Sam
Old 1st April 2008

Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam M View Post
That (colour cast) looks extreme! I can't believe they sell them like that. (No chance you can return them?)

Sam
That is an exampe of the three stop ND, if you stack them it is even worse, the picture turns purple.

I should have sent them back, alas I bought them before going on holiday and threw away the packaging. They are not a year old so maybe I should contact Cokin direct.