Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 20th October 2008

Liked 1,730 Times in 1,112 Posts
Re: What was your first SLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvendetta View Post
1. Zenit 3M (1970) - hand-me-down from elder brother. Passed on to younger brother!
My first SLR was a Zenit before they put the 3M on it and Dixons stocked it. It was a great camera with a sharp 58mm f2.0 Helios lens (Zeiss Biotar copy). The lens was a preset design, with stop-down ring, non instant return mirror - it stayed up when the shutter was released, and a limited range of shutter speeds. In spite of its limited abilities, if I was to go back to a film camera, I'd look for a Zenit 3M again.

Jim
Old 20th October 2008

Liked 195 Times in 130 Posts

Lots of Zenits here, my first SLR too in "B" incarnation. Sold it and bought a well used Canon F1 (pre F1n), which I still have.
Beyond that second hand E-500, E-1 & now a new E-3 . Olympus replacement for the previous E-3 which had the odd problem.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
Old 20th October 2008

Liked 135 Times in 43 Posts

Well, this thread and the replies in it are making me feel surprisingly young, so thanks to all for that...

My first 'real' camera was a Chinon CE-4 (Dixons own brand rubbish), which I loved to death and learned so much with.
Old 20th October 2008

Liked 1,010 Times in 300 Posts

[QUOTE=DekHog;27907]Well, this thread and the replies in it are making me feel surprisingly young, so thanks to all for that...

QUOTE]

Oh dear,I started this what seems like ages ago and it's just raised its head again.

make me feel very old(which I suppose is what I am).

Very interesting though.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 6th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting thread

My first proper camera circa 1982 was a used Olympus Trip 35 - the real Trip, great little camera, still got it along with the optional Olympus close up lenses and it still works.

First SLR around 1988/9 was a Praktica BX20 - effectively a Praktica copy of the OM4 but without some features. Superb camera - so good I bought another BX20 body after the Berlin Wall came down and then my wife inherited her Dad's BX20 too! Got a huge collection of PB bayonet lenses...

So... I did a lot of research about DSLRs that I could use these on and then bought a Pentax K to 4/3rds adapter off eBay. Some weeks later I'd fettled it into a pretty reasonable Praktica B to 4/3rds adapter!

First DSLR was an E-500 SE twin lens kit from Dixons - came with 17.5-45 & 40-150. Fantastic bargain.

Then got hooked and went to sample a cheap E-1 but got seduced by an E-330 and LiveView with 14-44...
Old 8th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it was a Pentax way back in 1980 (or maybe it was a Nikon). I used it for a couple of years. My parents, who are now getting on a bit, still have the portrait of their beloved dog I took hangling in their lounge, still giving them pleasure.

I then spent 25 years in the photography wilderness thinking anything that didn't fit in my pocket and more recently wasn't embedded in a mobile phone was in a technology backwater and too much hassle. Missed a trick there I think.