Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 15th October 2019

Liked 132 Times in 74 Posts
Re: Calibrating monitor(s)

Installed DisplayCal and Argyll CMS and my Spyder 4 was not seen. Contacted forum and their advice was to install Argyll!.

Gave up.

Steve
Old 15th October 2019

Liked 1,735 Times in 1,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckdiver View Post
Installed DisplayCal and Argyll CMS and my Spyder 4 was not seen. Contacted forum and their advice was to install Argyll!.
I had exactly the same. It was OK after I installed ArgyllCMS from within DisplayCAL.

Jim
Old 16th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
I had exactly the same. It was OK after I installed ArgyllCMS from within DisplayCAL.

Jim
I did install from within DisplayCal though

Steve
Old 16th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckdiver View Post
I did install from within DisplayCal though

Steve
Hmm, I'll try later on my W10 machine.

I will say that calibrating the screen on my Linux laptop with DisplayCal and my Colormunki, has transformed the display. I've never bothered before, but now I see that the borders on this site are actually grey, rather than the bluish-grey that I've been used to over the years! Photos on the site are much better, also.

Jim
Old 16th October 2019

Liked 173 Times in 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Thanks Tram I'll give DisplayCal a try.

Ian (Rawcoll) I only had them print onto standard paper so I don't know about their other products. Send them an email and I'm sure they will be able to answer your question.
Its worth giving it a go Phil, does make quite a positive difference.
Read carefully about installing the software and be prepared for the calibration tests to take a while.

I see Jim has now successfully used it and commented on the improvement its made to his display

One other thing, if you do use DisplayCal consider donating them a few quid to help fund improvements and support.
Old 17th October 2019

Liked 709 Times in 378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
I use displaycal too in conjunction with a Spyder 5, much better than the software it comes with.
Why did you not start this a few months earlier. :cry

I just got the SpyderX as my screen do not match my prints. I have the older Spyder3 but I thought it was old and the calibration is no longer accurate.

The SpyderX made my screen too bright. I have turned it back down since and my prints are still too dark.

So what does this DisplayCal do? Replace that Spyder's software?

All my garbage so far.
Old 17th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
The SpyderX made my screen too bright. I have turned it back down since and my prints are still too dark.
Having calibrated your monitor, you then need to calibrate your printer to produce a profile.
The procedure used on the ColorMunki (I expect the Spyder to be similar) is basically that you produce a swatch of printed colour patches, which you scan with the ColorMunki. The device 'sees' differences between what colours it scans and what they should be, and produces a profile based on the differences.

Quote:
[/quote]

DisplayCal replaces the Xrite software for the ColorMunki.

Jim
Old 17th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-by-u View Post
Why did you not start this a few months earlier. :cry

I just got the SpyderX as my screen do not match my prints. I have the older Spyder3 but I thought it was old and the calibration is no longer accurate.

It does replace the Spyder software, believe it works with the cheapest of the Spyder colorimeters.
I bought the 5 to replace my old 2 when I bought a new monitor.
Saw a few references to DisplayCal and thought why not give it a go, very glad I did
Old 17th October 2019

Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Having calibrated your monitor, you then need to calibrate your printer to produce a profile.
The procedure used on the ColorMunki (I expect the Spyder to be similar) is basically that you produce a swatch of printed colour patches, which you scan with the ColorMunki. The device 'sees' differences between what colours it scans and what they should be, and produces a profile based on the differences.
Well two things. It is not essential that you calibrate your printer. But you do need to use a profile matched to the paper and printer. Whether you use a generic profile supplied by the paper manufacturer, a profile custom made by the supplier using colour patches that you print from your printer (should be better), or whether you create the profile yourself, is your choice. I'd only say that I believe that there is a lot more to the latter than meets the eye, and getting a good profile might not be so easy.

If you follow the latter route, then the ColorMunki screen calibrator might be able to do the same task (I'm not familiar with that device), but I think with the Spyder X, which is specifically for screen calibration, you will need a separate patch reader device (after all, the patch needs to be illuminated). Certainly that was the case with my Spyder 3.

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, G50, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk
Old 17th October 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawcoll View Post
Well two things. It is not essential that you calibrate your printer. But you do need to use a profile matched to the paper and printer. Whether you use a generic profile supplied by the paper manufacturer, a profile custom made by the supplier using colour patches that you print from your printer (should be better), or whether you create the profile yourself, is your choice. I'd only say that I believe that there is a lot more to the latter than meets the eye, and getting a good profile might not be so easy.

If you follow the latter route, then the ColorMunki screen calibrator might be able to do the same task (I'm not familiar with that device), but I think with the Spyder X, which is specifically for screen calibration, you will need a separate patch reader device (after all, the patch needs to be illuminated). Certainly that was the case with my Spyder 3.
You are correct Ian about needing a separate print reader when using the Spyder device.
My preferred solution was to print off the Permajet supplied test pages, print and send to them for a custom ICC profile.
Many paper companies offer this service, just a matter of selecting your favourite medium(s)
Happy with my prints so that will do for me, took a bit of time, but all part of the fun.
To be honest if it wasn't a hobby no way would I print at home, far too costly and time consuming.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Rawcoll (17th October 2019)
Old 17th October 2019

Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram View Post
Happy with my prints so that will do for me, took a bit of time, but all part of the fun.
To be honest if it wasn't a hobby no way would I print at home, far too costly and time consuming.
I agree. But that's what it's all about isn't it? After all, we wouldn't even buy a camera based purely on economics (unless we run a business based on it)!

(I can never think of anything witty to say when under pressure!)

GH2, G50, various m4/3rds lenses, Fuji X-T1 system

My website: www.icimaging.co.uk
The Following User Liked This Post:
Tram (17th October 2019)
Old 17th October 2019

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Another X-Rite i1Display Pro user here and results have been good. Note that images can often appear less contrasty after colour balancing.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Latest news. Having had a play with DisplayCal and some trial and error I eventually ended up with both my 4k monitors calibrated and looking superb. My primary monitor needed two attempts after the first cal produced a very noticeable blue white but after the second calibration it matched the colours of the second monitor and the colours on both look spot on. The third monitor improved but I'm not really bothered as I only use it for other Windows stuff.

Anyway, very pleased indeed and a big thank you to everyone's comments and suggestions. Much appreciated.

You can all buy yourselves a beer on me

Steve
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Compared to the Xrite software for the ColorMunki Photo, DisplayCal seems more thorough. Xrite takes about 5 mins to calibrate the screen, whereas DisplayCal takes around 30 mins, with many more steps. As I said earlier, it's transformed the display on my laptop.

Jim
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Compared to the Xrite software for the ColorMunki Photo, DisplayCal seems more thorough. Xrite takes about 5 mins to calibrate the screen, whereas DisplayCal takes around 30 mins, with many more steps. As I said earlier, it's transformed the display on my laptop.

Jim
It took 45 mins to 1 hour to calibrate each of my monitors.

Steve