Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 3,378 Times in 1,818 Posts
Re: Car modifications - is it or isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Smart? Ha ha!
On the odd occasion we use the M25 Iím always amazed by the number of drivers that seem to totally ignore the variable limit and the obvious camera gantries. Do they think they are immune of something? Whatís that about?
It's about them paying fines and boosting the economy.

Harold
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 3,378 Times in 1,818 Posts

In the 1970s I bought a sporty little Audi. In those days cars were not so aerodynamic as they are now. I asked my insurance company if it was OK for me to fit a front air scoop to hold the front wheels down at speed, under the front valance (if that term applied then). They said, in writing, that it was OK and my premium was unaffected.

Harold
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 764 Times in 524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
It's about them paying fines and boosting the economy.

Harold
How very noble of them! Iím sure youíre right.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
In the 1970s I bought a sporty little Audi. In those days cars were not so aerodynamic as they are now. I asked my insurance company if it was OK for me to fit a front air scoop to hold the front wheels down at speed, under the front valance (if that term applied then). They said, in writing, that it was OK and my premium was unaffected.

Harold
So were you driving at speeds where it actually made a noticeable difference?
The Following User Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,730 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote:
Seriously? Donít these modern plods have a quota anymore?
No, they only do the easy stuff nowadays!

Jim
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,730 Times in 1,112 Posts

Quote:
Smart? Ha ha!
On the odd occasion we use the M25 Iím always amazed by the number of drivers that seem to totally ignore the variable limit and the obvious camera gantries. Do they think they are immune of something? Whatís that about?
The warning notices on motorways are pretty much discredited and ignored, because they're rarely updated as soon as the need for a warning has long gone. There may be fog on a motorway and a warning at 5am on a summer morning, but the warning will often still show at midday long after the fog has dissipated.

Jim
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 321 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
No, they only do the easy stuff nowadays!

Jim

Such as being stabbed to death or dragged underneath a vehicle and killed ?

Jax
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Ford View Post
The warning notices on motorways are pretty much discredited and ignored, because they're rarely updated as soon as the need for a warning has long gone. There may be fog on a motorway and a warning at 5am on a summer morning, but the warning will often still show at midday long after the fog has dissipated.

Jim
None of that will stop anyone getting fined though surely? When has common sense ever played a part?
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax View Post
Such as being stabbed to death or dragged underneath a vehicle and killed ?

Jax
It seems that after the latter incident that they really went to town on the (supposed) offending pikeys, long, long overdue. Terrible it took the death of an officer to bring that about. Itíll soon be forgotten though and the scum will go back to doing what theyíre so good at, namely being scum.
The stabbing thing is something that should have been stopped long ago, trouble is, the longer it goes on the more it becomes the norm for low life and impressionable kids and the worse it gets. Very few people seem to have any respect for law and order nowadays and it doesnít bode well for the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to TimP For This Useful Post:
Jax (4 Weeks Ago)
Naughty Nigel (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 321 Times in 210 Posts

Quote:
It seems that after the latter incident that they really went to town on the (supposed) offending pikeys, long, long overdue. Terrible it took the death of an officer to bring that about. It’ll soon be forgotten though and the scum will go back to doing what they’re so good at, namely being scum.
The stabbing thing is something that should have been stopped long ago, trouble is, the longer it goes on the more it becomes the norm for low life and impressionable kids and the worse it gets. Very few people seem to have any respect for law and order nowadays and it doesn’t bode well for the future.

Tim is perfectly correct and sadly these instances are quickly forgotton, apart from by those close to the situation.

We all have an occasional chuckle about Mr. Plod and Trumpton, including myself. I think it's wise to bear in mind that while we are sat here in the warmth of our homes, coffee in hand, typing, one of them may be facing a life threatening situation. All things considered in this current society and way of life, neither the Police, the Fire Service or any of the Emergency Services are jobs I would feel happy doing.

The everyday stabbings in London are a mystery and, to me, can only be a part of some sort of gang initiation ritual. We hear of a new death by stabbing almost every day now and it seems to be increasing by the day. As of Sept. 2019 there have been 110 violent deaths in London. This is a figure that could not even be imagined a few years ago.

I don't have the solution but somebody needs to find one and very quickly.

Jax
Old 4 Weeks Ago

No, I certainly don’t have the answer either but there are some basics being missed. Parental responsibility for a start. Wasn’t there a recent case of a girl, aged 13, getting stabbed (or possibly raped) when she was out on the streets at 03.00! I mean, come on!
So many kids are brought up by single parents who frankly don’t seem to give a fig (generalising here!) too busy with their phones and social media even when the kid(s) is a toddler, eager to learn. Too easy to give the kid a tablet to keep him occupied. Kids have no boundaries and is it any surprise this stuff happens. Obviously not everyone from a single parent goes on to be a criminal but I’d argue it explains a majority. Gang culture in big cities plays a huge part.
It’s all a huge mess, like a social experiment gone horribly wrong. I know it’s a cliche but the old saying about a spell in the army doesn’t half ring true at times.
The Following User Says Thank You to TimP For This Useful Post:
Jax (4 Weeks Ago)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Keith-369 (4 Weeks Ago), Naughty Nigel (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,511 Times in 1,644 Posts

Quote:
It seems that after the latter incident that they really went to town on the (supposed) offending pikeys, long, long overdue. Terrible it took the death of an officer to bring that about. It’ll soon be forgotten though and the scum will go back to doing what they’re so good at, namely being scum.
The stabbing thing is something that should have been stopped long ago, trouble is, the longer it goes on the more it becomes the norm for low life and impressionable kids and the worse it gets. Very few people seem to have any respect for law and order nowadays and it doesn’t bode well for the future.
Unfortunately they have the politically correct, dewy eyed liberals and other assorted do-gooders on their side claiming that they are an oppressed minority. Maybe if they obeyed the law, paid taxes and didn't nick lead from our roofs they would be made more welcome.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
TimP (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,511 Times in 1,644 Posts

Quote:
No, I certainly donít have the answer either but there are some basics being missed. Parental responsibility for a start. Wasnít there a recent case of a girl, aged 13, getting stabbed (or possibly raped) when she was out on the streets at 03.00! I mean, come on!
So many kids are brought up by single parents who frankly donít seem to give a fig (generalising here!) too busy with their phones and social media even when the kid(s) is a toddler, eager to learn. Too easy to give the kid a tablet to keep him occupied. Kids have no boundaries and is it any surprise this stuff happens. Obviously not everyone from a single parent goes on to be a criminal but Iíd argue it explains a majority. Gang culture in big cities plays a huge part.
Itís all a huge mess, like a social experiment gone horribly wrong. I know itís a cliche but the old saying about a spell in the army doesnít half ring true at times.
It is actually liberalism gone horribly wrong.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 465 Times in 222 Posts

I've got seat covers in mine when I take rubbish to the tip, is that an infringement ?? If so where on earth do we stop, be better to stop people using a mobile in the car, its just another way of ducking out of a claim IMO...I'm about to put a paint protection on my car, (DIY) so no insurance company would ever know and if they did then my argument would be prove that I did it...which of course they could not as the car was 2nd hand...
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
ďI may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.Ē
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Unfortunately they have the politically correct, dewy eyed liberals and other assorted do-gooders on their side claiming that they are an oppressed minority. Maybe if they obeyed the law, paid taxes and didn't nick lead from our roofs they would be made more welcome.
Exactly, they want the benefits of society but none of the responsibilities. They need to be treated like the rest of us. Oppressed minority? My bottom. They need oppressing! (Suppressing?)