Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 27th June 2019

Liked 81 Times in 55 Posts
Re: v3 Firmware for mk2 - updates for mk2, m1x and lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
From what the Olympus notes seems to say, it only updates associated Olympus programs if they are already installed, so I'm not sure if it installs a Camera Updater if there isn't one there already or not now (I already had it there when installing Oly Workspace).
The camera updater is installed as part of the Workspace installation. Workspace won't update one you already had standalone. It won't update Olympus Viewer 3 either.
Just uninstall the old software and use Workspace if you want an easy life.
Old 27th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbouk View Post
Ι use OLYMPUS programs for 15 years and update bodies and lenses. I tried for 2 days to install the new firmware on Win 10 , I couldn’t, no matter which Updater I use -old or new through the updated O.W. The problem was the communication with the camera when the firmware is download from the server and the PC tries to install it on camera. All other communications work fine, with Olympus Capture or to save settings from or to the camera with old Updater or with O.W.
I gave up and install just O.W. with all the updates on home pc (win10) without old Updater or Olympus Studio. Nope, no luck. I really thought my camera has a problem. One last try I install the old Updater 2.1.3. And suddenly Olympus workspace worked fine with the new Updater (ver.2.2) , communicate with camera and finish the update. I suspect that the old Updater has some extra USB drivers for cameras.
Most likely you have some software blocking things. I read of someone with the same issues and they had at least two lots of anti-virus software running that stopped it.
Old 27th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Gosh, its all a bit hit and miss? I was "lucky" and I updated straightaway with the 2.13 version of the update programme. I had no idea that Olympus Workspace was able to be used as well.

Edit: I have just tried to update the "Updater" programme. As above I use the 2.13 version. The Olympus site says that I have the latest version, so no need to update!!

Having run the "Workspace" programme and tapped the update camera button, it loads a version 2.2. Thus the Workspace does have its own version of the "Updater"...…??

Olympus are hopeless at updating all their websites round the world. That is why when you just searched you only found the old 2.1.3 version. The latest version is 2.2. I have not even bothered to go looking for it, this is all an unnecessary waste of time. Why risk problems and do this work when there is a simple way instead?
The Following User Liked This Post:
MJ224 (27th June 2019)
Old 27th June 2019

Liked 767 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Crikey - 120MB for a program that downloads a file from a server and then sends it to the camera over USB. That's bloatware of the highest order. IMHO it's crazy to have to use an image editing program to update the camera's firmware. The updater app is much smaller and does exactly what it says on the tin. I also have a hunch that Workplace is using the updater app under the covers anyhow.
Totally agree! It wasn’t that long ago that you could update the bios firmware of a standard Intel motherboard using a 1.44 MB floppy which contained the new firmware and the program to install it. Sloppy programming is to blame.
What happened to machine code programming anyway?
wornish (27th June 2019)
Old 27th June 2019

Thanked 1,346 Times in 1,051 Posts
Liked 2,229 Times in 1,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
The camera updater is installed as part of the Workspace installation. Workspace won't update one you already had standalone. It won't update Olympus Viewer 3 either.
Just uninstall the old software and use Workspace if you want an easy life.
I've got all three & everything runs alright 'cause I still use Win7.

However, information isn't so clear from Olympus though as it says it finds other Olympus programs on the pc during an update search (obviously not OV3 though as that has been replaced).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 27th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Totally agree! It wasn’t that long ago that you could update the bios firmware of a standard Intel motherboard using a 1.44 MB floppy which contained the new firmware and the program to install it. Sloppy programming is to blame.
What happened to machine code programming anyway?
A whole 1.44MB - what a ridiculous waste. Long ago I wrote an entire operating system used by thousands of users, in just 2K (called NAS-SYS). And it had no bugs.
TimP (27th June 2019)
Old 27th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
A whole 1.44MB - what a ridiculous waste. Long ago I wrote an entire operating system used by thousands of users, in just 2K (called NAS-SYS). And it had no bugs.
Did I anywhere say the 1.44 floppy was full?? Well, did I?

MJ224 (27th June 2019)
Old 27th June 2019

Liked 251 Times in 157 Posts

I started my computing life with a Vic-20: 3k basic memory and a 16k expansion card cost £75.

At those prices, it is hardly surprising that we struggled to minimise memory usage, as far as possible, Nowadays, with 512GB SSD costing less than that old expansion card, I feel it is appropriate to change one's way of thinking.

Getting back on topic, I think we have to accept that new features will be introduced that inevitably demand updates to associated software. It seems reasonable to me that we should be expected to ensure that the software on our own machines is up to date and suitable for the task we are asking it to perform. Many suppliers do, however, issue reminders when new versions are introduced, so Olympus should be encouraged to do the same.
Ross the fiddler (27th June 2019)
Old 27th June 2019

Liked 383 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Possible systematic issue for some people updating via Mojave on Macs: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62816846
Hmm. I'm on Mojave, and it updated OK. But if I'd read this first, I'd have hung off. I also updated my Pen-F and 14-42 pancake lens ... the latter took an absolute AGE, about 45mins, and I was getting very agitated by the apparent inactivity ... you know, when you reach the point of "oh god, it's bricking..! ". But no, it was just glacial, for some reason. This is why I hate updates ... I'm always sure it's going to go t*ts up!!

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook
drmarkf (27th June 2019)
Old 27th June 2019

Thanked 1,346 Times in 1,051 Posts
Liked 2,229 Times in 1,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Hmm. I'm on Mojave, and it updated OK. But if I'd read this first, I'd have hung off. I also updated my Pen-F and 14-42 pancake lens ... the latter took an absolute AGE, about 45mins, and I was getting very agitated by the apparent inactivity ... you know, when you reach the point of "oh god, it's bricking..! ". But no, it was just glacial, for some reason. This is why I hate updates ... I'm always sure it's going to go t*ts up!!
The time delay must have been because all the other plebs were updating their cameras too.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 27th June 2019

Thanked 1,156 Times in 1,031 Posts
Liked 1,236 Times in 805 Posts

My ZX 80 Sinclar handled the updates once I got the cassette tape sorted!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Keith-369 (27th June 2019), Ross the fiddler (27th June 2019)
Old 27th June 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxon View Post
I started my computing life with a Vic-20: 3k basic memory and a 16k expansion card cost £75.

At those prices, it is hardly surprising that we struggled to minimise memory usage, as far as possible, Nowadays, with 512GB SSD costing less than that old expansion card, I feel it is appropriate to change one's way of thinking.
A Vic20 was my first computer, don’t remember the expansion pack but do remember getting a machine code monitor pack that plugged in. I seem to remember getting inside the thing and possibly adding the ram and the mcm via a switch and some sort of multi-way connector. I’ve still got it somewhere I think. Happy days.
Old 27th June 2019

Liked 4,054 Times in 1,861 Posts

My first computer was the PET (fart in French) Commodore. Wrote many Basic programmes and few simple machine code ones. For Land Survey...

Came with 16Mb of memory, which I upgraded to 32Mb later. programmes initially stored on tape, but I splashed out on twin floppies (£2000 in 1983 ish) But the investment paid me back pretty quickly working on quantity surveying in Texaco refinery Milford Haven..…...

My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Old 27th June 2019

Liked 251 Times in 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
My first computer was the PET (fart in French) Commodore. Wrote many Basic programmes and few simple machine code ones. For Land Survey...Came with 16Mb of memory,....

Think you're mixing k's and M's there! The maximum memory configuration for a PET was, as I recall, 96kB.
With a 3k OS, I could print the whole thing out on paper, in assembler, and really learned how computers work. The principles haven't changed much, although the architecture is much more sophisticated. When you hand-wrote the code, you understood what everything did. This is far from the case with modern software, which is why any new version is swiftly followed by a Ver.x.0.1 as the initial bugs are ironed out
Old 27th June 2019

Liked 4,054 Times in 1,861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOxon View Post
Think you're mixing k's and M's there! The maximum memory configuration for a PET was, as I recall,
Yes you are correct...……………(mega, gigas and kilos all get a little mixed up these days)…………….

My Sailing Page

My Flickr