Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 25th November 2017

Liked 194 Times in 132 Posts
Re: WWT Welney "photographers hide"

Hi. Would it be detrimental or beneficial if someone else came who is a Fuji shooter? I have a friend who I could ask and offer a lift to ...
Old 25th November 2017

Liked 1,804 Times in 669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
Hi. Would it be detrimental or beneficial if someone else came who is a Fuji shooter? I have a friend who I could ask and offer a lift to ...
I have no objection for additional people, I wanted to make it an "in house" event first there's potentially plenty of room for additional people... Dependant on the weather we may or may not be limited for access to the hide (fewer people can go down there if its flooded) but were not that big a group so I'm not anticipating problems (even if ew have to take turns a bit)
The Following User Says Thank You to Walti For This Useful Post:
RobEW (25th November 2017)
Old 25th November 2017

Thanks. Turns out it's not possible for him that day.
Old 5th December 2017

Liked 1,281 Times in 728 Posts

Nice background on the Welney reserve and swans...

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic GM5, 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (6th December 2017)
Old 8th December 2017

Just wondering what time people were going to arrive, and where we should meet (carpark, visitor centre, hide)?

Shall we exchange mobile numbers?

Polling several weather forecasts suggests long-johns and ski-masks might be a good idea: 50% chance of rain-snow mix, cloudy, with highest temperature 3 degrees C. Wind speed 25kph from the north (which I suspect will unfortunately mean much of the birdlife will be landing and taking off heading away from us). Hopefully we won't need snow chains!

It'll be fun, though, and the chances of getting some really atmospheric images should be excellent as long as we avoid frostbite ;-)

Too much Oly gear.
Old 8th December 2017

Liked 1,471 Times in 326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Just wondering what time people were going to arrive, and where we should meet (carpark, visitor centre, hide)?

Shall we exchange mobile numbers?

Polling several weather forecasts suggests long-johns and ski-masks might be a good idea: 50% chance of rain-snow mix, cloudy, with highest temperature 3 degrees C. Wind speed 25kph from the north (which I suspect will unfortunately mean much of the birdlife will be landing and taking off heading away from us). Hopefully we won't need snow chains!

It'll be fun, though, and the chances of getting some really atmospheric images should be excellent as long as we avoid frostbite ;-)
I was thinking the same thing Mark.

I suspect Walti will post some details soon to allow us to coordinate meeting time/place, etc.

I don't think we'll need snow chains although parts of the U.K. do seem to come to a halt when half an inch of snow appears. :roll eyes:

The forecast is that it will be cold, I'll be wearing a few layers!

It should be a good day.

Dave
Old 9th December 2017

Thanked 1,450 Times in 1,339 Posts
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,156 Posts

Hope you guys manage to miss the snow. Have a great day, definitely waiting for the images to be posted.
Old 9th December 2017

Sounds chilly, and maybe not good clear views either. But should be fun. Will there be any source of warm food /drink in the vicinity? Or do I need to pack a flask of soup?

Guessing we'll be quite some distance from any birdlife, so bring my longest lens (FT 50-200 + EC-20) as well as binoculars. Still not much reach for "sitting in the hide" photography. Tripod too as birds in flight are not quite my skillset. I'm not a digiscoper and don't have a scope at all.

Image Stabilistion off for tripod. Any other hints for kit or camera setup to prepare in advance?

Looking forward to it anyway.

P.S. Any reason why this thread is in General Photography and not Events? It took me a while to find it.
Old 9th December 2017

It just sort of evolved here...

Here's the latest on the snow (an amber warning): https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/...ate=2017-12-10

Worth taking it steady and keeping an eye out for the other daft bu@@ers on those narrow and windy Anglian roads.

I fitted my winter wheels/tyres last weekend, which look as though they may actually get some use this year - I've got a 3-series BMW, which like the similar Mercedes models is completely useless in ice/snow/mud (engine not over the driven wheels, of course). The Contis make a huge difference.

There's a nice café at Welney with decent basic food: https://www.wwt.org.uk/wetland-centr...at-drink-shop/

Too much Oly gear.
The Following User Says Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
RobEW (10th December 2017)
Old 9th December 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
Sounds chilly, and maybe not good clear views either. But should be fun. Will there be any source of warm food /drink in the vicinity? Or do I need to pack a flask of soup?

Guessing we'll be quite some distance from any birdlife, so bring my longest lens (FT 50-200 + EC-20) as well as binoculars. Still not much reach for "sitting in the hide" photography. Tripod too as birds in flight are not quite my skillset. I'm not a digiscoper and don't have a scope at all.

Image Stabilistion off for tripod. Any other hints for kit or camera setup to prepare in advance?

Looking forward to it anyway.

P.S. Any reason why this thread is in General Photography and not Events? It took me a while to find it.
It may be worth while bringing a lens like the 14-54 or 12-40, the wildlife may be closer than you think..

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to DavyG For This Useful Post:
Old 9th December 2017

Yeah, I was going to bring the 300, 40-150 f2.8 and 1.4tc.

It’s then a tossup whether to bring the 12-35 or 12-100 as well.

I guess it is likely to be a bit borderline dim for m4/3 birding at times, so if anyone’s got a full-frame second system with any sort of long lens it would probably be worth bringing that. It’s not far to carry stuff from the car park as I recall.

Too much Oly gear.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 9th December 2017

Update:

I need to phone Welney tomorrow for a weather update.... I need to check whether the hide is actually open and/or flooded - so bring your wellies!
Meet in the cafe which is the car park side of the bridge (that'll make sense when you get there!)
The opening time is 10am, BUT, they may be willing to let us in early - dependant on which manager is on duty.
There is a cafe that serves food and drinks, so don't need to bring stuff unless you want to - you can also do a take away to the hide.
The hide is about 100m to the Cafe and 200m to the car park.
There is a weather warning for tomorrow round here, so Welney could be affected too...
Dependant on water levels the main hide MAY be the only part of the reserve open, or if it's not to flooded the walkway and other hides may be open.

My mobile is: 07742 xxxxxx
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Walti For This Useful Post:
DavyG (9th December 2017), drmarkf (10th December 2017), RobEW (10th December 2017)
Old 9th December 2017

xxxx 129732
Old 9th December 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
Update:

I need to phone Welney tomorrow for a weather update.... I need to check whether the hide is actually open and/or flooded - so bring your wellies!
Meet in the cafe which is the car park side of the bridge (that'll make sense when you get there!)
The opening time is 10am, BUT, they may be willing to let us in early - dependant on which manager is on duty.
There is a cafe that serves food and drinks, so don't need to bring stuff unless you want to - you can also do a take away to the hide.
The hide is about 100m to the Cafe and 200m to the car park.
There is a weather warning for tomorrow round here, so Welney could be affected too...
Dependant on water levels the main hide MAY be the only part of the reserve open, or if it's not to flooded the walkway and other hides may be open.

My mobile is: 07742 xxxxxx
Thanks for the update Walti.

I'll check back tomorrow to see how things are looking for Monday.

Unless you cancel, we plan to arrive circa 09:30, if not before, I suspect weather conditions will be the deciding factor.

Several layers and Arctic Sport Muck Boots will be the dress for the day I think.

Dave
Old 9th December 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Yeah, I was going to bring the 300, 40-150 f2.8 and 1.4tc.

It’s then a tossup whether to bring the 12-35 or 12-100 as well.

I guess it is likely to be a bit borderline dim for m4/3 birding at times, so if anyone’s got a full-frame second system with any sort of long lens it would probably be worth bringing that. It’s not far to carry stuff from the car park as I recall.
I'd suggest the 12-100 will be the ideal lens for the day!