Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Picture of the Day

Picture of the Day Your selections from the e-group gallery featured each day as the Picture of the Day! Please send nominations to forum-admin@e-group.uk.net

Old 9th December 2008
Administrator

Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,283 Posts
Liked 1,766 Times in 797 Posts
Thumbs up POTD Tuesday 9th December 2008

John Perriment, whose e-group nickname is Zuiko, has nominated this image, "Off the Wall", a selectively coloured B&W image, taken by one of our rising stars, Shirley:

John says: "Now this picture is in an entirely different class, it's absolutely brilliant! The subject is the result of inspired observation, there is a good range of tones and contrast and the composition is dynamic. The selective colouring is masterfull and really enhances the theme of this image.

I particularly like the subtle humour created by the positioning of the 'Susan Searles Enamels' sign, which is obviously just propped against the wall rather than being mounted on it, in relation to the 'Off the Wall' gallery sign. The message, reinforced by the long white arrow pointing out of the frame, seems to be, 'tough luck, Susan, you're off The Wall!'

I absolutely love it. The best picture I've seen in a long time AND it ties in neatly with the 'Fine Art' debate that is currently resurrected in another thread.

'Fine Art' is somewhat difficult to define but this image is most certainly in that category!"

Thanks John, and congratulations Shirley!

So who will be next? We need nominations from you - just email (forum-admin@e-group.uk.net) me or send a forum Private Message to me (send to Ian) with a link to the gallery page where your chosen image is shown and include a sentence or two about why you like the picture so much.
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 10th December 2008

Liked 904 Times in 293 Posts
Re: POTD Tuesday 9th December 2008

Congratulations Shirley on your POTD.
As John says this really is a very good image.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 10th December 2008
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: POTD Tuesday 9th December 2008

I have great difficulty with this image. The composition is excellent, and the selective colour treatment most suitable. In short, I can't fault it!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site