Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 6th August 2014

Liked 307 Times in 194 Posts
Re: Who will YOU vote for???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
On the subject of geography, if I am asked where I live nowadays I always reply 'Durham'.

Many people from the south don't seem to know where Durham is, so I tell them it is near to Newcastle. However, I am amazed how many southerners then say "oh, isn't that in Scotland?".

No it isn't in Scotland. It isn't even that close to Scotland, as the border north of Berwick on Tweed is about seventy miles away!

Reminds me of when I was in the U.S.A. ………

American gentleman: Where are you from?
Me: Wales
American gentleman: Wales? …. Oh yeah that's in England right?
The Following User Liked This Post:
The Technician (7th August 2014)
Old 6th August 2014

Liked 2,510 Times in 1,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
Silly Nigel, Newcastle is in County Down! Now who is confused? When I give my address over a phone I am nearly always moved to England.
Well, you might remember that Westminster mandarins awarded several £million to Newcastle under Lyme, but the cheque was sent to Newcastle on Tyne, and they spent every penny of it, the money never to be seen again!

(Or it might have been 'totehr way round.)

Just shows how much those in Westminster know about life north of the Watford Gap.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Says Thank You to Naughty Nigel For This Useful Post:
Wee man (7th August 2014)
Old 6th August 2014

Thanked 1,138 Times in 712 Posts
Liked 1,474 Times in 739 Posts

I was born to be confused. Dad was English, Mother was Irish, my surname is Welsh and I first saw the light of day in Scotland. Just to top things off, I've lived and worked in all those countries... plus a few more.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 7th August 2014

Liked 543 Times in 381 Posts

Nigel - Yet Tony B Liar was MP for your patch and still the Whitehall mandarins did not know where that was - amazing.
Old 7th August 2014

Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

I ordered some things from a firm in Kent by telephone. When the girl asked for my address and I told her I was in County Durham she told me that they charged extra postage to Northern Ireland. The silly girl was flabbergasted to hear that it was in North East England and trying to cover herself told me how much she liked Norfolk, and asked if I cycled there from home! As it's 250 or so miles each way I had to enlighten her view of the UK somewhat. Her reply was priceless, oh it's not in England it must be Scotland.

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/42941818@N07/
Old 7th August 2014

Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

Just before the Salmond/Darling debate, the talk here in Scotland was that Salmond would win hands down. In fact some SNP supporters were apparently hoping that Darling wouldn't get such a doing that he might get a few sympathy votes. Darling was described as being the only man that could talk somebody ON to a ledge. In the event most commentators seem to thing he got the better of it.
Old 7th August 2014

Liked 970 Times in 372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by byegad View Post
Well the decision is in the people living in Scotland's hands. A Scots friend of mine living in Northumbria is well upset that he doesn't get a vote but English people living in Scotland do.

From a purely selfish NE England point of view I hope the vote is yes. As it seems to me that money goes to where the 'trouble' (As in The Scottish Independence Movement) is found. Hopefully Westminster would then start treating is rather better. The last figures I saw was that transport infrastructure spending in SE England was £2500/head and here in the NE £5. A move by the North towards devolution following a Scottish yes vote may help redress this.

From a UK point of view I hope Scotland stays, but the choice isn't mine to make.
And why not I want to ask. The Sots will get independence from the UK, why don't the rest of the UK have a say, they should in my book.
Old 7th August 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
I quite agree. The threat of Scottish independence has been a wake-up call for many, especially the current pretenders at Westminster. The five cities coalition recently proposed is proof of this. This is one proposal that makes economic sense. The surprise, it that it came from Joe Public and, perhaps because of the Scottish referendum has now been seen by politicians as a vote earner.

We seem to have plenty to spend on vanity projects and overseas aid, the last of which I'm not against. However, as a priority, we need to get our own house in order.

I've lived in the NE of England for more than 40 years, so am familiar with previous ill thought out decisions that still, to this day, have repercussions for the area.

The problem with politicians in general, is that they continually make promises to get votes then renege on them once ensconced in Westminster.

Devolution rather than revolution - aka Scottish Independence - is, to my mind the best way forward.

The biggest stumbling block for independence/devolution is that no politician will say what they mean or mean what they say. The comedy where yes, but no, but yes.... what was the question springs to mind.
The percentage of our gross national product given to oversea aid is minuscule. Less than 1%.
Old 7th August 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
On the subject of geography, if I am asked where I live nowadays I always reply 'Durham'.

Many people from the south don't seem to know where Durham is, so I tell them it is near to Newcastle. However, I am amazed how many southerners then say "oh, isn't that in Scotland?".

No it isn't in Scotland. It isn't even that close to Scotland, as the border north of Berwick on Tweed is about seventy miles away!
Must say I sympathise here. I hail from Stockport, my current wife had no idea where that was till I told her.
But, there can be NO excuse for thinking Newcastle is in Scotland.
Old 7th August 2014

Thanked 1,138 Times in 712 Posts
Liked 1,474 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
The percentage of our gross national product given to oversea aid is minuscule. Less than 1%.
I'm not knocking overseas aid as such but, when a vast majority have lost much of their hard earned dosh through corrupt bankers, pension pots robbed by HMG, people out of work due to no fault of their own, houses repossessed and food banks etc., then I do think we need, as a priority, to get our own house in order.

AFAIK, and I stand to be corrected, overseas aid goes to China, Russia, India and Pakistan, to mention a few. In fairness, with nuclear weapons and or active space projects, I fail to see the need to provide more dosh?

As for the less than 1%, this dosh could be used to offset the high interest rates we continue to pay on current borrowing.

To pay back WWII borrowing from the USA at 2%. Great Britain finally managed to repay that debt in 2006. As for the WWI loan we received from the same lender, GB defaulted.

GB isn't alone when it comes to defaulting loan repayments.

OUTSTANDING WWI LOANS - remain in limbo to this day.

Britain owed to US in 1934: £866m - Adjusted by RPI to 2006: £40bn

Other nations owed Britain: £2.3bn - Adjusted by RPI to 2006: £104bn

Given the not so generous terms we have to contend with today, how many generations will pass before we pay back?

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 7th August 2014
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper View Post
And why not I want to ask. The Sots will get independence from the UK, why don't the rest of the UK have a say, they should in my book.
Strongly agree. As an East Anglian Englishman I get no say in something that will have an impact on me. I am genuinely annoyed by that irrespective of the pros and cons of a yes or no vote.

Hec
Old 7th August 2014
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
I ordered some things from a firm in Kent by telephone. When the girl asked for my address and I told her I was in County Durham she told me that they charged extra postage to Northern Ireland. The silly girl was flabbergasted to hear that it was in North East England and trying to cover herself told me how much she liked Norfolk, and asked if I cycled there from home! As it's 250 or so miles each way I had to enlighten her view of the UK somewhat. Her reply was priceless, oh it's not in England it must be Scotland.
I think that displays the widespread general ignorance regarding these islands full stop. Sadly even my own children exhibit a depressing lack of knowledge about the UK in general which is despite them having been well travelled in said place over the years.

My typical one is because I live on Mersea Island. I get remarks to the effect that it must be great coming from where the Beatles hailed from and/or they insist on spelling it Mersey Island.

Doesn't make me grumpy at all.

Hec
Old 7th August 2014

Quote:
I'm not knocking overseas aid as such but, when a vast majority have lost much of their hard earned dosh through corrupt bankers, pension pots robbed by HMG, people out of work due to no fault of their own, houses repossessed and food banks etc., then I do think we need, as a priority, to get our own house in order.

AFAIK, and I stand to be corrected, overseas aid goes to China, Russia, India and Pakistan, to mention a few. In fairness, with nuclear weapons and or active space projects, I fail to see the need to provide more dosh?

As for the less than 1%, this dosh could be used to offset the high interest rates we continue to pay on current borrowing.

To pay back WWII borrowing from the USA at 2%. Great Britain finally managed to repay that debt in 2006. As for the WWI loan we received from the same lender, GB defaulted.

GB isn't alone when it comes to defaulting loan repayments.

OUTSTANDING WWI LOANS - remain in limbo to this day.

Britain owed to US in 1934: £866m - Adjusted by RPI to 2006: £40bn

Other nations owed Britain: £2.3bn - Adjusted by RPI to 2006: £104bn

Given the not so generous terms we have to contend with today, how many generations will pass before we pay back?
Well Wally, maybe the bankers ETC should be made to pay. I take your point about China, Russia ETC. Doesn't seem right.
Old 7th August 2014

Quote:
Admittedly this was a few years ago, (before one could easily buy rail tickets on line), but I called Virgin Trains to book a cross country ticket from Darlington to Plymouth.

The young man told me that I would have to travel from York or Newcastle because Darlington railway station had been closed years ago! This both amused and amazed me, so I quizzed the young man to see what, if anything he knew about the railways. I also asked him about the Stockton to Darlington railway, which apparently he had never heard of, and said I would probably need to catch a bus.

It later transpired that because Darlington railway station was managed by [the then] GNER, some Virgin Trains staff had no knowledge of its existence, even though their trains stopped there!

As an aside, I also had reason to call an American software company for support around the same time. When I told the 'agent' I was calling from England he asked me "is that in Yourope?" I presume he had the same Geography teacher as Tony's buddy George W. Bush.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 7th August 2014

Quote:
Didn't we give the USA some islands to pay off the loan?

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing