Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 24th November 2012
Alpha1

Re: Anyone else got this with their EM-5?

I have just taken a look and yep, mine has got the same hairline crack in the centre screw hole. I bought mine in late August and it had only come into the shop earlier that same morning!

I don't think that I will bother taking it back as to be honest if I hadn't noticed this thread, I would never have seen it!

However I will notify the shop (in writing!) as they are a good stockist, and then if it does develop into something more serious at least I have mentioned it in advance.
Old 24th November 2012

Liked 195 Times in 130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Mine is crack-less. I think it was one of the first in the country. Maybe this has some bearing on the build quality?
Yep, add me to the list, it was also one of the first available.

Thanks for your comment Mark, it doesn't look like it will cause any issues in the short term.
I'd be more inclined to leave it until towards the end of the warranty period. That way the whole camera would get a check over by your service technicians whilst still under guarantee, and any other unnoticed but developing problems would be rectified too.
Also if it is a general issue which demands a modification to the plastic moulding, much like the similar E-3 problem, I may as well wait until the new moulding is available.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
The Following User Says Thank You to peak4 For This Useful Post:
jamsa (24th November 2012)
Old 24th November 2012

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peak4 View Post
yep, add me to the list, it was also one of the first available.

Thanks for your comment mark, it doesn't look like it will cause any issues in the short term.
I'd be more inclined to leave it until towards the end of the warranty period. That way the whole camera would get a check over by your service technicians whilst still under guarantee, and any other unnoticed but developing problems would be rectified too.
Also if it is a general issue which demands a modification to the plastic moulding, much like the similar e-3 problem, i may as well wait until the new moulding is available.
good suggestion
Old 24th November 2012

Liked 105 Times in 36 Posts

Mark - thank you for your offer of taking a look at one of the affected cameras. Like others, I'm inclined to hold off for now as I have plans for mine until the new year. But depending upon whether there has been any more general type of announcement after that, I may get in contact and send you my camera sometime in Jan/Feb when it tends to get used a little less!

Thanks again,

Jon
Old 24th November 2012

Liked 105 Times in 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
To get an idea of the scale of the problem could everybody inspect their own cracks, please.
one more crack on the centre mounting of my one , it was new in September this year, I don't think its going to be a big problem, unless it lets water in or something, I've tried to upload a pic to the gallery and it says upload successful but I can't find the pic anywhere to post it...maybe I'll try an older camera phone
Old 24th November 2012

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 798 Times in 467 Posts

I may be wrong (I usually am ) but this may be a case of mass hysteria.

Like everyone else I couldn't resist checking mine. Guess what? I eventually found the reported "crack" although it took a bit of finding with a magnifying glass.
As David Morison says this appears to be a metalic component, feels like a diecasting to me, rather than a "plastic moulding". The "mark" seems to be too straight and precisely positioned to to be a stress crack and I could easily be persuaded that in fact it is not a crack but but a raised ridge. In either case this could be explained by a minute mark in the die used for casting. This (and the fact that some of us have better eye sight than others) would explain why some cameras have this "fault" and others don't as I'm sure Olympus have more than one die to their name.

Personaly I'm going to ignore "The Crack " and carry on taking photographs with the camera in the vain hope that I may eventually become a good enough photographer to fully exploit its capability before I actually wear the thing out.

Regards.

ps.DONT use superglue. The surgeon who did my hernia op a while back used superglue and little bits of sticky tape and I nearly fell apart.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 24th November 2012

Thanked 1,344 Times in 1,049 Posts
Liked 2,224 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
I may be wrong (I usually am ) but this may be a case of mass hysteria.
Peter, you may be right!
This an earlier photo (not with a sharp macro lens) that seems to show it was probably there back in July which might(?) indicate a moulding line rather crack. Either way, I'm not worried about it. You have to look real carefully.

This could be like the original 'noise' from the IBIS which also turned out to be 'a storm in a tea cup'. A response from Olympus on what it is will give us all piece of mind (for those that are worried about it). It is good of Mark Thackara to start the follow-up.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 24th November 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mine's OK, no crack. Purchased June 2012.

There's a suggestion on DP that tripod mounting and/or over tightening an add-on grip may somehow have caused the cracks. Not sure how that could be?

--------------------------
Old 24th November 2012

Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,468 Posts
Liked 1,458 Times in 932 Posts

If I understand it correctly, the thinking here is that an overly large tripod plate will extend beyond the camera baseplate and touch the bottome edge of the screen, exerting some upward pressure on it. There have been some cases of people being unable to flip their screen upward once mounted on a tripod.
Old 24th November 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,182 Times in 2,486 Posts
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
If I understand it correctly, the thinking here is that an overly large tripod plate will extend beyond the camera baseplate and touch the bottome edge of the screen, exerting some upward pressure on it. There have been some cases of people being unable to flip their screen upward once mounted on a tripod.
Ah, I do use a large tripod plate and I've just fitted it to see what happens. It does apply pressure to the screen and stops it from flipping out. Also, if I flip the screen out before fitting the plate, then the screen won't flip back in by quite a significant margin.

Can anyone recommend a good Q/R plate of the correct size?

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 25th November 2012

Thanked 1,344 Times in 1,049 Posts
Liked 2,224 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote:
Ah, I do use a large tripod plate and I've just fitted it to see what happens. It does apply pressure to the screen and stops it from flipping out. Also, if I flip the screen out before fitting the plate, then the screen won't flip back in by quite a significant margin.

Yeah, the one I made for mine, but sorry, you can't have it. Well, you still need to attach a tripod plate to it but since it gets in the way of the battery access, I rarely use it. There are a few others now on the market, ranging from cheap to expensive.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD7-14mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD45mm f1.8, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 25th November 2012

Liked 289 Times in 143 Posts

FWIW there is no cracks on mine at all. It was one of the first in the country.

When i rub my finger over the 3 screws the middle screw is slightly raised compared to the other 2, only slightly. I don't know if it's supposed to be.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122278067@N06/
Old 25th November 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,182 Times in 2,486 Posts
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
Yeah, the one I made for mine, but sorry, you can't have it. Well, you still need to attach a tripod plate to it but since it gets in the way of the battery access, I rarely use it. There are a few others now on the market, ranging from cheap to expensive.
Thinking about it, all I need to do is make a spacer out of thin rubber or something similar, then I can continue to use my existing plates.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 25th November 2012

Liked 33 Times in 15 Posts

For what its worth I have just bought the EM-5 (3 days old). I have examined the area and cannot see any cracks (yet!). I will keep an eye on it though. I have attached some photos. I do not have anything that looks like a moulding mark in the area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020212.jpg (57.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg P1020213.jpg (67.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg P1020214.jpg (82.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 25th November 2012

Liked 468 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Ah, I do use a large tripod plate ...

John,
I use a model 'B9' Acra compatible plate from Really-Right Stuff. It is square and has a shallow anti-rotation flange. You can fit it with the fllange at the front or back - so it wouldn't interfere with the viewfinder deployment. See here for details: http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.as...pusEM5&key=cat

They also make some smaller Acra compatible Q/R plates - which are intended for P&S cameras but would probably be OK with an EM-5 or the PENs unless you were using a heavy lens.
See here: http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.as...t&code=BodyPnS.

Some words of caution are relevant. RRS products are excellent quality and priced accordingly! In addition they only sell direct and the shipping charges from the USA (even for such a small item) will add at least $36 to your price. There is also the Import duty and it's collection fee to pay at this end - so the total cost to you is heading towards 65 !!