Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-500

Olympus E-500 E-500 specific discussion.

Old 22nd November 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Advice on focusing e500

Hi, I have recently bought an e500 twin lens kit and after trying it out a few times it seems to be front focusing, could anyone give me advice if there is anything I can do about this. I thought I had read somewhere about adjusting the focusing with a hex key? or something like that, and I seem to remember a few years back my husband did the same on an e520 I had at the time. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks. Jacqui.
Old 22nd November 2012
Administrator

Thanked 3,181 Times in 2,485 Posts
Liked 4,530 Times in 2,154 Posts
Re: Advice on focusing e500

On some later models you can indeed calibrate focusing for each lens on your camera, but not the E-500 I'm afraid. Olympus can do this for you but it will mean sending the camera and lens away.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 22nd November 2012

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Am fairly certain the 500 does not have focus adjustment options. It does have focus bracketing. If that setting were on, each photo shot would be a bit in front or behind ideal focus, and you might not know it. A small icon will appear in the Super Control Panel and in the viewfinder, I think, if focus bracketing is on, which is easy to overlook. The setting is in the same menu sub-window as the other types of bracketing. Be sure it's off.

If that doesn't help, perhaps set up some focusing tests with objects of known distances? In my own similar situations, whenever I've thought the camera wasn't doing something right, it usually turned out to be operator error.