Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 1st December 2007
beardedwombat

Re: Who's received their E-3 then?

Mine is the same as well but there is no obvious reason for it to be designed that way. It means that there is nowhere for the spring clip bobble on the left side of the eyepiece to locate. Seems a bit daft. I use a Lowepro Micro Trekker bag and have twice partially dislodged the eyepiece when removing the camera from the bag.
Old 1st December 2007
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedwombat View Post
Mine is the same as well but there is no obvious reason for it to be designed that way. It means that there is nowhere for the spring clip bobble on the left side of the eyepiece to locate. Seems a bit daft. I use a Lowepro Micro Trekker bag and have twice partially dislodged the eyepiece when removing the camera from the bag.
I agree with you Chris.Because the spring clip is not engaged properly, it allows the engaged side to rock when the eyepiece is rubbed against an object and to disengage. From then on its a matter of luck if you notice it in time. Still, forewarned is forearmed. I now check it regularly. Be interested in Oly's comments Monday.

PeterD
Old 1st December 2007
beardedwombat

Here's another little idea, could the E-3 firmware be modified to allow functions to be allocated to the arrow pad buttons a la E-510. There are two or three useful functions I would like to have buttons for, but only one function button. It's a great camera though - I love it!
Chris
Old 3rd December 2007
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedwombat View Post
I e-mailed Olympus Europe Technical support over the weekend and included the two photographs (E500 & E3).

Just received a reply which essentially said there is no fault. Phoned the author of the e-mail and he said that it was difficult to remove the eyecup from the camera he had but the construction was the same as in the photograph. Pointed out that because one side of the eyecup slider was not full length then a slight movement in the direction of the secured side would cause it to disengage which would result in the eyepiece potentially becoming detatched. He found that this would not happen with his camera and suggested that I return the camera to the store.
I also pointed out to him that a number of people had noticed this effect.

The bottom line is that he recommended that I discuss this with Olympus UK which unfortunately closed at 1600hrs. I shall discuss this further ith them tomorrow.

I must say that I was disapointed but maybe its a case of tolerances as far as this effect is concerned but nonetheless I still believe that the interface area is a design error.

I'll update you when I have more news.

PeterD
Old 3rd December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had the eycup off my E-3 and after replacing, it fell off pretty easily. Turns out that I hadn't pushed it down fully. When you push it down fully it actually 'Clicks' into place. Obviously it doesn't 'Click' as a result of the two lips which only prevent it from pulling off backwards. In fact the 'Short' side has a 'V' area at the bottom that the tab on the eycup seems to sit in. I suspect that if it doesn't 'Click' when fitted then it's not properly seated.

In any case mine is very tight, I'm almost worried I'll break it when I try to remove it.

By comparison I had the Large Eyecup on my E-1 and while the complete part didn't come off accidently the actual rubber section was always falling off the mounting ring.
Old 3rd December 2007
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by R MacE View Post
I had the eycup off my E-3 and after replacing, it fell off pretty easily. Turns out that I hadn't pushed it down fully. When you push it down fully it actually 'Clicks' into place. Obviously it doesn't 'Click' as a result of the two lips which only prevent it from pulling off backwards. In fact the 'Short' side has a 'V' area at the bottom that the tab on the eycup seems to sit in. I suspect that if it doesn't 'Click' when fitted then it's not properly seated.

In any case mine is very tight, I'm almost worried I'll break it when I try to remove it.

By comparison I had the Large Eyecup on my E-1 and while the complete part didn't come off accidently the actual rubber section was always falling off the mounting ring.
Thanks for your comments above.

I have looked again at the problem and see that my original concern of a design error or faulty casting is probably wrong. The raised slides of unequal length on the camera body are merely guides to ensure the eyecup is brought into contact with the bodyThe clips on the eyecup travel down to the bottom of the raised portion. I did not see a 'v' section. See Photo below:-

I had ensured that both sides gave a 'click' when the eyecup was fitted. Despite this, I do not have the secure fit that both you and the Olympus Technical Support person describe. I suspect the differences are to do with tolerances.

Don't get me wrong. I love the camera and now that I know what to look out for, I shall try and avoid a repetition. I'll still discuss this with Olympus UK to see what they think.

Once again, thanks for giving me your information. It made me look again and revise my thoughts.

Kind regards

PeterD
Old 3rd December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wonder if it's possible that your eyecup hasn't been fully seated when it was originally fitted and that the 'springy' tabs on the eyecup have been forced back and no longer ensure a tight fit?

Just thinking out loud really.

The 'V' is on the 'Short Side' it's very slight but it's there, you can see it more clearly if you view the 'slot'? from below.

Looking at the section on the body and the mount on the eyecup it's hard to say what exactly holds it on.
Old 4th December 2007
PeterD

Smile Re: Who's received their E-3 then?

Quote:
I wonder if it's possible that your eyecup hasn't been fully seated when it was originally fitted and that the 'springy' tabs on the eyecup have been forced back and no longer ensure a tight fit?

Just thinking out loud really.

The 'V' is on the 'Short Side' it's very slight but it's there, you can see it more clearly if you view the 'slot'? from below.

Looking at the section on the body and the mount on the eyecup it's hard to say what exactly holds it on.
Hi

Just an update.
Spoke to Olympus UK Customer Support this morning. Told them about the problem and they have offered to send me a replacement eyecup when one is available. I am pretty sure that this will solve the problem. I mentioned that a number of others had experienced loose eyecups and that this had been reported o this site.
I also took the opportunity to mention the lack of feedback given to those who have submitted their claim for the promotions. They will tell Olympus EU that this is a concern.
All in all, I was very pleased the way my concerns were handled. Truly customer focussed.

Kind regards

PeterD
Old 4th December 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thats good news Peter, hopefully they'll sort it out quickly
Old 4th December 2007
beardedwombat

Nice to know that Olympus are taking customer care seriously. Bodes well.
Chris
Old 4th December 2007
emirpprime

Thanks Peter.
I get the impression Oly UK are very good, but sometimes getting things to filter up is harder. Glad you had a good experience with them.
Phil
Old 4th December 2007

Liked 543 Times in 381 Posts

Passing news up the organisation tree only works when it is good news.

Bad news is very difficult to pass up the tree.
Old 4th December 2007
PeterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
Passing news up the organisation tree only works when it is good news.

Bad news is very difficult to pass up the tree.
Usually this is the case. You normally hit a defensive brick wall. In this case none of the defensive mechanisms kicked in. This is the reason I believe Olympus ARE Customer focussed and deserve my comments.

PeterD
Old 4th December 2007

Liked 973 Times in 373 Posts

Got mine this morning after what seemed like a very loooooong wait.
No manual but a DVD which is a lot of use when I want a quick overview.
Took it to the camera club this evening, portraits. Once I had fathomed out how to do this and that I got some nice shots of a bloke with a banjo:-)
So far I am pleased with it, but then I did try it at three different venues before I got it.
Dave.
Old 4th December 2007

Liked 973 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:

I cannot remember how many I lost on my E 1 before someone mentioned PTFE tape, works a treat.
Dave.