Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Old 27th August 2011

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Precious Colors

A while ago I was fiddling around with some of my precious possessions in one hand and the ZD35 Macro in the other. My main concern wasn't the focus or DOF, but not to drop a stone into the high grass I was standing on so I could make use of the low standing sun outside ...

Ruby

Saphire

Yellow Saphire

Topas

I was just trying to get some of the gems colors into my pictures. It turned out as being not so trivial as I thought it would be. My altogether 'free hand approche' made it not much easier But I somehow like these shots and just want to show them off - being a little different then my usual critter stuff, right?!
Old 28th August 2011

Liked 1,731 Times in 1,113 Posts
Re: Precious Colors

I've got one of these - you might find it useful:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=111653

It gives a very bright natural sun-like light. Being non-flash, you can position it to get the lighting effect you want.

Jim
Old 28th August 2011

Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

Nice idea. I wonder what difference a polariser would make?
I don't think it would just reduce the highlights but may do something else.
I vaguely remember looking at rocks through polarized light in Geology at University many years ago.

Lots of toys.
Old 30th August 2011

@Jim
Thanks for the link. I did these in the open, because I wanted to use the sun light instead of any artificial light. In fact I had used LED's before that - not like the setup you advised - but some strong and focused headlamp. If you get the WB correct, then it's no big deal at all. But, I was just playing here anyways ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
Nice idea. I wonder what difference a polariser would make?
I don't think it would just reduce the highlights but may do something else.
I vaguely remember looking at rocks through polarized light in Geology at University many years ago.
Duncan,
I used to look quite a bit through a polarizing microscope in my Geological Instute as well actually, I have one worn old fellow pol-mic at home. But those gems just dont fit in it
A screw on pol filter is an option I could play with of course. But, as you might recall, it would not do anything like seen in thin sections, because the second (analysator) pol-filter is lacking. I would need polarized light to illuminate the subject, to begin with. The light coming from the computers LCD screen does offer this, but my poor mans gems just lack the clarity to make use of it.

As I said, this was just a play around and I was quite happy with the outcome and the looks ...
Old 31st August 2011

Liked 58 Times in 37 Posts

Which goes to show that I'm wildly out of touch.

However, I've photographed transparent objects using a light table.
A small one that would hold 20 No. 35mm slides for example.
This provides a uniform light from behind which I've always liked.
As long as there is about 20cm distance between object and light source you should be able to isolate it with DOF.

Lots of toys.
Old 1st September 2011

Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,499 Posts
Liked 4,424 Times in 1,996 Posts

As I know little about precious gems I won't speculate on their value, Falk.
The colours appear quite vibrant and the diagonal composition of the first two works well.

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 29th February 2012

Mark, their value is not that much - unfortunately. But if it were other then that, I would not own them in the first place.

I was again playing with my recently acquired remote flash, to get used to it. One of the photos taken fits here - a 34ct synthetic (of course!) Alexandrite:

ZD35 Macro, F16, High Key graduation
Old 29th February 2012
Floribunda

I really like the shot of the Alexandrite.
Fascinating concept.
As a complete aside Falk - I went looking in a gem shop recently to try and get a topaz for my daughter (birthstone) and was surprised to be told that the golden topaz were hard to find now. There were plenty of the blue.
Old 29th February 2012

Hi Lyn,
thanks - and yes, I do like that shot too

Birthstone?!? I dare not to comment on that concept ... but,
be careful with the 'Golden Topaz' as they are most often Citrin (natural yellow Quartz) or heat treated Amethyst (also Quartz). Blue ones may be synthetic, and serve as substitute for Aquamarine. Lots of fakes out there, so ask questions befor you buy ...!

Topaz is sometimes found in crystalls of several meters in lenght. I can't believe it's worth while to fake this rather cheap gem stone - but they do it anyways.

Falk
Old 1st March 2012
Floribunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falk View Post
Hi Lyn,
thanks - and yes, I do like that shot too

Birthstone?!? I dare not to comment on that concept ... but,
be careful with the 'Golden Topaz' as they are most often Citrin (natural yellow Quartz) or heat treated Amethyst (also Quartz). Blue ones may be synthetic, and serve as substitute for Aquamarine. Lots of fakes out there, so ask questions befor you buy ...!

Topaz is sometimes found in crystalls of several meters in lenght. I can't believe it's worth while to fake this rather cheap gem stone - but they do it anyways.

Falk
LOL Falk - Birthstones - great marketing ploy heh?
I ended up purchasing Citrine earrings - not expensive - as daughter wanted the gold stone, and yes - I got the feeling that if you wanted to spend a considerable amount, you would have to know what you were buying.
Must say though, it was very pleasant looking at the huge variety of colourful gems.
I have a piece of Amethyst crystal my daughter purchased when doing part of her Uni degree. You have inspired me to dust it off and see if I can photograph it. A bit outside of my Bird and Rose preference, but another little challenge!
Old 1st March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floribunda View Post
LOL Falk - Birthstones - great marketing ploy heh?
Thats one part - and then there is the esotheric thing - which earns HUGE amounts of money, apparently - and when we get there I shall bite my tongue to keep the peace ...

Quote:
Must say though, it was very pleasant looking at the huge variety of colourful gems.
You bet! I can't resist them! With money always in short supply I nevertheless had to have one or two gems from every exhibition I went to. This was in my early days at the Uni, studying a somewhat related subject.

Quote:
I have a piece of Amethyst crystal ... You have inspired me to dust it off and see if I can photograph it.
Yes do so - and you are invited to post it here.

Cheers, Falk