Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-3

Olympus E-3 E-3 specific discussion.

Old 19th March 2008
E-P1 fan

Re: E3 Review in A.P.

Great shot of a great guitarist John - beat that Nikon
Old 19th March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

John (the Music Man),

Your magnificent photograph of the guitarist at ISO 3200 certainly nullifies the questions about the performance of the E-3 at high ISOs. I don't normally try to take photos in that sort of low light without resorting to flash but your photo convinces me I ought to learn how to.

Thanks for the reminder !

Regrds,

Ray.
Old 21st March 2008
250swb

Quote:
I may be wrong but I imagine that Angela is much more used to Nikon and Canon cameras and finds the Olympus E-3 (and all the Olympus Cameras) unfamiliar and is, therefore, put off to some extent by their unfamiliarity when she has to use them.
I tend to agree with you Ray, she has shown a lack of understanding about the Olympus system before, but she also continues to think she has enough knowledge to rank cameras in headline terms, not in the way they are used or for the things that set them apart. She reviews cameras as if they should all meet some Richardson Criteria for sameness based on the Canikon pattern.

On the other hand Digital Photographer gave the E3 96% and the D300 92%, and while the results are equally prone to misinterpretation, the actual comments are biased far less on what the E3 can't do against an equivalent Canon or Nikon, but what it can do . It may be a subtle change in emphasis and view compared to AP, but the fresher thinking in many other magazines isn't nearly as proscribed when mentioning Olympus (or any other smaller producer) and Canon or Nikon in the same breath.

Steve
Old 21st March 2008
E-P1 fan

Perhaps we need to start alloting imprecise percentages to reviews and magazines!
Old 21st March 2008
Ghene

I don't read AP but I do read DSLR User, which is enough for me.
Here's what they say about the E-3

It's not what made me buy one but it is a good read
Old 22nd March 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So how many 'Stops' difference is there between the E-3 and the D300 as far as Image Noise is concerned. What about Dynamic Range? how do the 2 cameras compare?