Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Converters, adapters and extension tubes

Converters, adapters and extension tubes All those lens accessories that get in between the lens and the camera.

Old 17th December 2009

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Minolta lenses on E System cameras???

Hi

Has anyone experience of using Minolta lenses on E system cameras? I understand that the adapters for these need to be very thin in order for the lens to focus to infinity which worries me a little in case something gives. I have about eight lenses that would be nice to recycle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bob
Old 23rd December 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Minolta lenses on E System cameras???

Can't help you yet but will be able to soon. Just picked a cheap Minolta fit mirror lens off the Bay to have a play with. So now I have to buy an adapter There seems to be two types, one with a allen key and one with out (I think), I'm going with this one. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Minolta-MD-Len...item439c3cda3c

So I will report back as to how it turns out.

Mike
Old 24th December 2009

Mike

You're getting me excited!! Thought no-one had attempted or was interested in marrying Minolta with Olympus 4/3rds.

I, too, have a mirror lens that I would like to experiment with. However, it's my other lenses that I would like to use as one is a Vivitar 135 mm macro.

I believe that you have to be careful that the pin on Minolta lenses doesn't protude too far into your camera so as to do damage. I have seen a suggestion somewhere that you have to either shorten the pin or cut away part of the camera .

I may be mistaken, but isn't the adapter with the allen key one where it is in two parts so that it can be adjusted so that the lens can be focused to infinity? Or perhaps it's to securely lock it to the lens. I am doubly confused.

In the meantime, I wish you the greatest of luck and I look forward anxiously to the result of your experiment.

Best wishes to you, your family and to all Olympus members for a Happy, Healthy Christmas and 2010.

Bob
Old 24th December 2009

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Bob, it's the E300 that needs a mod so fingers crossed.

http://www.rokkorfiles.com/olympus.htm

Yes I'm confused about the two different types but will find out soon enough
I will let you know how I go on next week, only bought them off the Bay last night.

All the best to you and yours this Christmas.

Mike
Old 1st January 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Bob, well the adaptor arrived. It seems to be well enough built but I have nothing to compare it with, so don't know if the cheaper ones from China are the same or inferior. It did come with a allen key, this is to lock it on to the lens. Now if there are thiner ones that focus to infinity, this is not one. In common with my OM/4-3 adaptor the lens focus's beyond infinity. In other words infinity is achieved just before you can turn the focus ring no further .
Now I have a light weight 300mm mirror lens so no problems with the
adaptor "flexing". In as far as I can tell it should not be a problem with most sizes of lens but obviously it would be wise to support any large lenses just in case.

Taken with the Minolta mount lens on my E-1

Anything else you need to know, shout up and I will help if I can.
Mike

Last edited by TRIPLEPOT; 1st January 2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Poor English!!
Old 2nd January 2010

Hi Mike
Good of you to post your results for me. Your gee-gee shots are great did you use a tripod? So I take it that the allen key is not to adjust the adapter so that lens fitting part moves nearer or further from the camera. However, that's no matter as long as you can reach infinity with the lens even if you have to move it back a little. (I was going to say focus beyond infinity but that doesn't make sense, does it?).

My 500mm mirror lens is quite heavy and with no tripod bush so I guess I'll have to be careful not to distort the lens plate on the camera. Life was so much easier when I used a point and shoot digital However, my six or seven other Minolta lenses are lighter and it will be great to experiment with them. It looks as though I will have to get the adapter. The only thing that has put me off prior to hearing from you, is that I read somewhere that someone had fitted one to a lens but then couldn't remove it from the camera and it cost him 60 to have it removed professionally!

So, now off to Amazon.........

Best wishes to you and yours fo 2010.

Bob
Old 2nd January 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Bob, it was hand held, I'm not one for carting tripods about, though I have ordered a mono pod.. I can't see how the one I bought (in the link above) can get stuck on the camera. Comes off and on fine just like an Olympus lens.
I would give it a try with that number of lens.
Mike

Last edited by TRIPLEPOT; 2nd January 2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 4th January 2010
mas

I've got a very thin minolta adapter. It has once or twice spun rather than unlocking if that makes sense?

I'll see about raking out a pic later.

Last edited by mas; 4th January 2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: litracy or woteva
Old 4th January 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas View Post
I've got a very thin minolta adapter. It has once or twice spun rather than unlocking if that makes sense?

I'll see about raking out a pic later.
Hi MAS

I am very interested in seeing your shots. What lens or lenses have you used with it? By "spun" do you mean that it has spun on the lens or on the camera?

Bob
Old 25th January 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPLEPOT View Post
Hi Bob, it was hand held, I'm not one for carting tripods about, though I have ordered a mono pod.. I can't see how the one I bought (in the link above) can get stuck on the camera. Comes off and on fine just like an Olympus lens.
I would give it a try with that number of lens.
Mike
Hi Mike

It's taken me little time to reply to you, but I now have a Minolta to 4/3 adapter. I have fitted it to a 50mm 1.4 lens and taken a few shots out of the window and it seems fine. I'll post some shots when I can get some decent ones as the views from my windows are not that great. I read somewhere on here that this lens has had great reports.

I've just discovered that my 500mm mirror lens already has an adapter fitted (wrong one as it's for autofocus lenses) so I'll need a T2 adapter, which I've just ordered.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Best regards
Bob
Old 25th January 2010

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good news Bob Look forward to seeing your pics.

Mike
Old 31st January 2010

Hi Mike

The snow, a hacking cough and a stinking cold has kept me in but I couldn't wait any longer to try out my Minolta to 4/3rds adapter. Took this one, hand held, this morning through our dirty double-glazed kitchen window (I'm still coughing well) with a Vivitar series 1 70/210. I think the reflection of a kitchen chair helps the composition or does it?????????

Was my 10 or so outlay on the adapter justified?

Bob
Old 31st January 2010

Liked 1,291 Times in 498 Posts

I think is shows promise.. You should get much better contrast once you get outside and dispense with the kitchen window (yes, we have all shot pictures though double glazing, shame on us!)

I find that older lenses are not quite as flare proof as these fancy modern digital lenses. Coatings have improved a lot. So, you need to use a lens hood or shade the lens with a spare hand to get the best contrast.

Take simple precautions, focus carefully and you can get cracking shots from legacy lenses

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 31st January 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
I think is shows promise.. You should get much better contrast once you get outside and dispense with the kitchen window (yes, we have all shot pictures though double glazing, shame on us!)

I find that older lenses are not quite as flare proof as these fancy modern digital lenses. Coatings have improved a lot. So, you need to use a lens hood or shade the lens with a spare hand to get the best contrast.

Take simple precautions, focus carefully and you can get cracking shots from legacy lenses

Pete

Thanks for your comments Pete. I'll brave the elements next time and do as you say. It's been good to get something even remotely presentable with lenses I haven't used for many years (pre-auto lenses even) and which I've been loathe to sell for pence. I'll try my Minolta fitting 500mm mirror lens next.
Thanks again
Bob
Old 31st January 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Thanks for your comments Pete. I'll brave the elements next time and do as you say. It's been good to get something even remotely presentable with lenses I haven't used for many years (pre-auto lenses even) and which I've been loathe to sell for pence. I'll try my Minolta fitting 500mm mirror lens next.
Thanks again
Bob
Forgot to mention, Pete, I was about 5-6 feet away from the window which, I presume, would have brought some of the smudges and haze on the glass etc., into focus.

Bob