Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 18th December 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
The Forum purpose ?

Just taking a few moments to reflect on the Forum and its purpose(s)

For me

1st is the Technical Guidance available from Ian and a lot of Terrific tog Members here

2nd the bright banter which makes me smile - even on the greyest days of the year

3rd the INSPIRATION offered via other Members images - which prove my KIT can do it, even if I cannot and the Members EXIF which helps me to learn and do better.

4th the Gallery offers a great slideshow of Images to take me away to other parts of the world (especially on Grey days) or Inspires me to look at some "I GOT LIKE THAT" and finally process them - maybe tweaking with some Artistic FX even

Maybe you can reflect on what this Forum means to you ?
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
The Following User Says Thank You to Chevvyf1 For This Useful Post:
Iansky (19th December 2013)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
cinders (29th January 2014), Hemlockwood (29th January 2014), Pjphoto59 (19th December 2013), The Technician (18th December 2013)
Old 18th December 2013
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: The Forum purpose ?

Chevvy

Interesting post, thanks.

Another thing that has been discussed on here recently is learning and knowledge acquisition. We have started discussing this between us in the moderator area and would appreciate any thoughts or comments you have in what you think we could offer. They could be tutorials, or (perhaps better still) screencasts that explain how to do something, or even collaborative online sessions using g+ hangouts etc - now that would be great.

Please comment and let us know what we could do.

The Following User Says Thank You to theMusicMan For This Useful Post:
Iansky (21st December 2013)
Old 18th December 2013

Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,030 Posts
Liked 1,233 Times in 803 Posts

I find the site a great social place and since being ill it gives me a great lift each day to link with others from around the world when I cannot get out or my illness will not allow me to go out. The friendships gained from banter and helpful posts regarding our photographs we put on the site and the chances to learn new techniques or tips on equipment use. It also gives the chance to pick up on topical whinging...............

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wee man For This Useful Post:
Old 18th December 2013

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

John, Great to see you about here I think the Education bit is of inestimable value. As the whole ethos is to develop the Olympus Market by means of this Forum (for Olympus Budget/Financial Support to continue ... I guess

A combo of photographic images and maybe video is an excellent delivery system and with the back up tech support here, its wonderful

Not wanting to start running before crawling and walking foundations are built, KISS ?
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
The Following User Says Thank You to Chevvyf1 For This Useful Post:
Old 18th December 2013

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts

I need to soak up loads of photography talk. First I want "technique" chat. Then PP. Then gear talk. Then have a good old moan about something!
The Following User Says Thank You to ian p For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (18th December 2013)
Iansky (21st December 2013), The Technician (18th December 2013)
Old 18th December 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,271 Posts
Liked 1,706 Times in 773 Posts

The forum is what you make of it and that will be different things for different people. In the beginning it was designed to be an online meeting place for Olympus system camera users where they could exchange experiences and show photos. But it was always also meant to be a place directly linked to the guys at Olympus UK. They get valuable feedback from here and it also provides an opportunity for them to help members whenever possible.

The value of the forum is in what you make of it and in that sense I am always interested in your suggestions to help it evolve. However, changes are not likely to always be welcome by everyone, but hopefully the overall balance will remain positive enough to keep you all happy enough to continue being here

Interestingly, our membership growth has been steady but unspectacular however the site activity and ratio of active members has always been high.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (18th December 2013), PeterBirder (18th December 2013)
Iansky (21st December 2013), PeterBirder (18th December 2013), The Technician (18th December 2013)
Old 18th December 2013

Liked 3,077 Times in 881 Posts

Going off slightly at a tangent (as is my wont) I never know what the actual name of the Forum is. The URL address is 'e-group.uk.net', the main heading of the home page is 'Olympus System Talk UK' and below that it says 'Olympus UK E-System User Group'. I never know what to call it when referring to it.

Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Olybirder For This Useful Post:
benvendetta (19th December 2013)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 18th December 2013
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
Going off slightly at a tangent (as is my wont) I never know what the actual name of the Forum is. The URL address is 'e-group.uk.net', the main heading of the home page is 'Olympus System Talk UK' and below that it says 'Olympus UK E-System User Group'. I never know what to call it when referring to it.

Ron
I always tend to refer to it as eGroup. Then if people ask, I explain it's the official Olympus UK forum.

The Following User Says Thank You to theMusicMan For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (18th December 2013)
Old 18th December 2013

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts

yes. e-group says nothing to me. Who is the "group" supposed to be? The members?
Old 18th December 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,271 Posts
Liked 1,706 Times in 773 Posts

The official name is Olympus UK E-System User Group and Olympus System Talk UK is simply a slogan for the forum. The accepted shortened name is e-group (basically from e-group.uk.net).

The site was created well before Micro Four Thirds but fortunately all Olympus system cameras are 'E-' cameras, regardless of whether they are FT or MFT.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
ian p (19th December 2013), Iansky (21st December 2013), Olybirder (18th December 2013), PeterBirder (18th December 2013)
Old 19th December 2013

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,033 Posts
Liked 2,133 Times in 1,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The official name is Olympus UK E-System User Group and Olympus System Talk UK is simply a slogan for the forum. The accepted shortened name is e-group (basically from e-group.uk.net).

The site was created well before Micro Four Thirds but fortunately all Olympus system cameras are 'E-' cameras, regardless of whether they are FT or MFT.

Ian
From someone down-under but still with greater family members in the UK, it is valuable to me being Olympus but also a place where I can chat & converse (& banter) with others from my 'Home Country', but I am still an Aussie with all (well, some of) what it means. I'm sorry, but we won & deserved the Ashes!

On the subject of the original 'E' system 4/3's cameras & now M4/3's, another line that has a lot of what the 'E' series have (in Menu & control as I'm becoming aware of) are the high end compacts that started with the XZ-1, XZ-2 (& XZ-10?) & now the Stylus 1 which is very much a mimic of the OM-D E-M5 (& XZ-2), like a Mini OM-D & as a number (1 or 2?) of us that have DSLR's & CSC's also have or are thinking about having or adding these to our kit that I thought it could be useful to have a general equipment category (High End Compacts or something like that perhaps) in the forum for these high end compacts as a place for some technical discussions with these models. Just a suggestion.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens, MC-14, MC-20, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Ian (19th December 2013), Iansky (21st December 2013)
Old 19th December 2013

Liked 292 Times in 150 Posts

To my mind, any forum relies on the approach of all members to "put in as well as take out" and this forum offers me that option as I can share my images and experiences as well as reading posts from others, viewing their work and learning new techniques.
The culture of any forum is also dictated by the moderators, their interactions, contributions, suggestions and moderations all serving to set the tone.
We are lucky here that we have active moderation and a direct conduit to Olympus, add to this a good membership base all willing to share and enjoy their experiences - end result, a thriving enthusiastic group of like minded people all with a shared liking for a brand and what it offers.
I for one value my limited time on here and look forward to 2014 being an even better photographic year for us all.
Happy Christmas one and all and thanks for making this a superb forum.
Bruce Clarke (22nd December 2013), Chevvyf1 (19th December 2013), gregles (19th December 2013), Ian (19th December 2013), PeterBirder (19th December 2013), StephenL (19th December 2013), Zuiko (19th December 2013)
Old 19th December 2013

Liked 260 Times in 121 Posts

I was directed to this site a few years ago by John (musicman) from another forum where they Talk about Photography.

I have found this forum an extremely useful learning source, members have always been very forthcoming with hints and tips and sharing their own knowledge and experiences. There is a vast knowledge of many different aspects of photography here and a quick answer is almost guaranteed to pretty much any question asked.

The For Sale/Wanted section has been brilliant for me and I have pretty much bought all of my equipment from there including monopods, straps, bags, batteries, cards, big lenses and little lenses and I have even been to peoples houses or met them to pick items up. Everything has been superbly priced and well looked after. My next purchase is going to be an E5 body which will undoubtedly come from a user on here. Touch Wood every transaction has run smoothly with never any issues or problems. More than can be said for E bay and Amazon.

Most of all though my favourite section is Foto Fair, some of the images posted are stunning. I check in every day virtually. I may not always comment but there are always images of a very high standard posted daily and as Chevvy has said it is a great source of inspiration.

Keep up the good work I say!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33153464@N07/
The Following User Says Thank You to timmypreston For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (19th December 2013), gregles (19th December 2013), Ian (19th December 2013), PeterBirder (19th December 2013), Zuiko (19th December 2013)
Old 19th December 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I like it here because it's friendly, the people are helpful and not at all cliquey.
The Following User Says Thank You to LMGruchy For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (19th December 2013)
Old 19th December 2013

Liked 412 Times in 254 Posts

Hi everyone!

I like this forum because of the friendliness and encouragement shown by all the members and moderators. This is the only forum I have ever posted one of my photos, and I certainly wouldn't offer one up elsewhere "looking for improvement"!

I find that this forum has done more for the improvement of my photos than any book I have read, and will almost certainly be better than any course I could book, and this is due to the quality and the helpfullness of the members.

I hope that whilst my photos aren't great, the contribution I can make on the technical (inside the camera and pulling it apart kind) side of things might be of interest to others on here. And in the fullness of time maybe my photos will improve enough to inspire or at least interest others.

Thankyou to the moderators and sponsors for running and supporting the site - long may it continue!

Cheers,

Ralph.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ralph Harwood For This Useful Post:
Chevvyf1 (20th December 2013), Wee man (28th January 2014)
Chevvyf1 (20th December 2013), Iansky (21st December 2013), StephenL (20th December 2013)