Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 24th September 2012

Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,480 Posts
Liked 4,324 Times in 1,955 Posts
Apple Maps app loses users

"Reuters Globally, on Apple Maps an entire city is in the ocean, a farm has been labelled as an airport, highways end in the middle of nowhere and a hospital now covers the entire centre of British town Stratford-upon-Avon, Shakespeare's birthplace .... and ... Apple's failure to get the location of its own flagship Sydney store right in its new iOS6 Maps application caps off a comedy of maps errors that has taken the shine off the iPhone 5's debut. Apple's flagship Sydney store is on the wrong side of the street on their Maps app."

See Apple Maps app loses users
http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...921-26aue.html

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
Old 24th September 2012

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Re: Apple Maps app loses users

But it's Apple - like Canikon its loyalists will find excuses.

But I like a mapping system that correctly delineates Terra Australis. We've known since Plato that it must be there. And now that it has been discovered we can return 'Australia' to its true status as a minor Island on an inland sea.

(I rarely do smilies, what's the point)

Nick

Medicine as a science ranks somewhere between archaeology and economics.

www.theChurchPhotographer.co.uk 90 Churches -- Fairford St Mary's, exceptionally splendid
www.temple-fry.co.uk
Old 25th September 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Apparently Scotland is totally obscured by a cloud. They got that right, then....

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 25th September 2012

Liked 537 Times in 375 Posts

However if you go to Safari and select Google Maps the old style maps are visible and you get offered an ap that takes you direct to Google Maps in a way suitable for use in a iPhone or iPad.

Bought your Samsung dishwasher yet Pandora?
Old 25th September 2012
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Haha... classic.

I guess you all know by now I am an avid Apple Mac user; iPad, iPhone and Macs galore in our house I am not an Apple fan-boi, as I use a Windows XP machine every day in work and I find it fine. Slooooow, very slooooooooow - especially on restart or resume from standby... but apart from that, fine.

However... it always amuses me when things like this happen - the whole world comes down on Apple like the proverbial tonne of bricks; criticising, slating, ridiculing etc - over one mishap. Yes I agree, a rather embarrassing mishap at that, but, please think back over the years of the multitude, the plethora of mishaps, failures, and blue-screen-of-deaths we've all seen on those faultless, perfect, flawless Windows based machines and compare the level of piss-take.

Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages - it's simply a matter of choice. I still ask the question; how many people who have initially used Macs, then tried and gone to Win/PC - state that after using Win/PC's that they would never go back to Macs?

I use my Mac predominantly, but I do use both, but would not even consider purchasing a PC/Laptop ever again.

Having said that, I haven't used the Map App on my iPhone - I tend to use a great GPS alternative called 'Waze'. It's a free app, and works perfectly for all my journeys.

The Following User Says Thank You to theMusicMan For This Useful Post:
Shaw (30th September 2012)
Old 25th September 2012

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
I use a Windows XP machine every day in work and I find it fine. Slooooow, very slooooooooow - especially on restart or resume from standby... but apart from that, fine.
XP gets slower in time
Have win7 with SSD drive and it restarts faster than XP wakes from hibernation
Old 25th September 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by throt View Post
XP gets slower in time
I have recently had my work laptop rebuilt from scratch after it started to crawl along. It still crawls along when resuming from standby unfortunately, but everything else is acceptable. It slows down if I multi-task with many applications running simultaneously, but then that's to be expected.

It's a work provided laptop, so I don't have full control over what I can do to it, but I am happy with using it. In work I do tend to use my Mac for email, web and MS Word/Exel/Powerpoint stuff and only revery to the XP machine when I need to connect through the firewall to access the telephone system or network drives and resources etc.

Old 25th September 2012

Thanked 1,122 Times in 703 Posts
Liked 1,465 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Apparently Scotland is totally obscured by a cloud. They got that right, then....
All that hot air causing cloud formation from your friendly neighbourhood politicans... surprised the rest of the UK doesn't have the same problem.

As an Apple abuser, I'm donation my iPad to a good cause... illegal immigrants. After all, one has to do ones bit in solving certain ongoing issues.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 25th September 2012

Liked 172 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
... I use a Windows XP machine every day in work and I find it fine. Slooooow, very slooooooooow - especially on restart or resume from standby... .
Quote:
Originally Posted by throt View Post
XP gets slower in time
Now, I'm always criticising the modern trend to write excessively 'heavy' software (in my head, anyway) but I'm always very happy with the way this old XP machine wakes up in seven seconds. Is that considered slow or is everyone else's machine doing something else?
It even sleeps and wakes while playing Skyrim without crashing, now that's very convenient.
Old 25th September 2012

My work-provided XP machine takes a total of about 3.5 minutes to restart from cold, and about 60s to resume from standby - and that's with a total rebuild having taken place during the last few weeks too.

When it is running, it's OK, but to get there takes ages. It is pretty inconvenient as I am in and out of many meetings on most days and thus have to undock/redock my laptop. I have recently given up using it for this, and use my Mac with Dropbox for any files needed instead.

Old 25th September 2012

Liked 73 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
However... it always amuses me when things like this happen - the whole world comes down on Apple like the proverbial tonne of bricks; criticising, slating, ridiculing etc - over one mishap. Yes I agree, a rather embarrassing mishap at that, but, please think back over the years of the multitude, the plethora of mishaps, failures, and blue-screen-of-deaths we've all seen on those faultless, perfect, flawless Windows based machines and compare the level of piss-take.
...and why do you think that is!

You sound like a level-headed and realistic Mac owner but there's plenty of smug Apple fanboys who like to point out everything that's wrong with Windows!
Old 25th September 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

My home-made Win7 with SSD restarts from an overnight sleep in about 2 seconds. A reboot from shutdown initiated till ready for use again takes about 30 seconds now that it's been "used" for a few months. When first built with no trash in the registry it was about 10 seconds. Now that I've resolved a ram mis-setting in the bios it's rock solid.

My Flickr site
Old 25th September 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
...and why do you think that is!

You sound like a level-headed and realistic Mac owner but there's plenty of smug Apple fanboys who like to point out everything that's wrong with Windows!
Yep, thanks Tim... I do try to be. I have a personal preference for Mac OSx, and enjoy using it. This certainly doesn't mean that Windows based machines are not of similar standard, just that I choose to use Macs

I am finding lately, sometimes on here too, that Apple often doesn't get a fair and even defense, and people are quick to jump all over them. When I see this, I try to provide a level-headed response and defense.

Having said that Tim, I will also admit to not liking (and in fact, cringing) at some of the comments we far too often see from overly smug Apple users; but honestly gov'nor, we're not all like that. Thanks for considering me not to be one of those, appreciated

Old 25th September 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

I like my wee Macbook for some things, and I'm sure were I were to have a full-blown Mac desktop I would enjoy it. But I reckon I'm too dyed in the wool with PCs to change over completely now. However, if someone were to give me a big Mac I would happily try it - as long as I didn't have to use that awful Magic Mouse!

My Flickr site
Old 25th September 2012
Administrator

Thanked 2,533 Times in 1,274 Posts
Liked 1,713 Times in 774 Posts

It's actually iPhone/iPad users coming down on Apple like a ton of bricks...

Windows XP is one thing but Windows 7 (let's forget about Vista) is very different. With the right hardware you have near enough instant on and a very good user interface.

I am frequently on record as saying that there is little to choose in terms of operating environment between Macs and PCs now. But expect to pay more for a Mac of equivalent spec. and expect more choice of software on your PC.

In the end choose what you feel is best for you but don't be cajoled in either direction.

Ian

PS My brother in law switched to a Mac a couple if years ago purely on the basis of the style-factor but neither he nor my sister could get used to MacOS and he sold the Mac and replaced it with an HP within a year. I'm not saying they are typical, but it does happen.

Quote:
Haha... classic.

I guess you all know by now I am an avid Apple Mac user; iPad, iPhone and Macs galore in our house I am not an Apple fan-boi, as I use a Windows XP machine every day in work and I find it fine. Slooooow, very slooooooooow - especially on restart or resume from standby... but apart from that, fine.

Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages - it's simply a matter of choice. I still ask the question; how many people who have initially used Macs, then tried and gone to Win/PC - state that after using Win/PC's that they would never go back to Macs?

I use my Mac predominantly, but I do use both, but would not even consider purchasing a PC/Laptop ever again.

Having said that, I haven't used the Map App on my iPhone - I tend to use a great GPS alternative called 'Waze'. It's a free app, and works perfectly for all my journeys.
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com