Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-510

Olympus E-510 E-510 specific discussion.

Old 9th June 2008
Rod Souter

Intermittent fault

Whilst using my 510 it would seem to be taking a photo but all I ended up with was a black (ie no image) shot.
Looking at the info screen it was showing no shutter speed whilst in aperture priority.
Switch to live view black screen with exposure time of 4min!!
This was with both of the kit lenses. I cleaned the contacts on both camera and body to no avail, however switched on again about 10min later, it worked for 4 frames then back to black.
Using liveview it would show an image but not record anything.
I tried another battery and another CF card same result.
When I got back to the UK I tried various other lenses same result, sometimes it will work, but more often it does not!
All the lenses work with my E1.
Has anybody experienced this?
It is going back to Park Cameras tomorrow.

Rod
Old 9th June 2008
Administrator

Thanked 3,165 Times in 2,473 Posts
Liked 4,474 Times in 2,125 Posts
Re: Intermittent fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Souter View Post
Whilst using my 510 it would seem to be taking a photo but all I ended up with was a black (ie no image) shot.
Looking at the info screen it was showing no shutter speed whilst in aperture priority.
Switch to live view black screen with exposure time of 4min!!
This was with both of the kit lenses. I cleaned the contacts on both camera and body to no avail, however switched on again about 10min later, it worked for 4 frames then back to black.
Using liveview it would show an image but not record anything.
I tried another battery and another CF card same result.
When I got back to the UK I tried various other lenses same result, sometimes it will work, but more often it does not!
All the lenses work with my E1.
Has anybody experienced this?
It is going back to Park Cameras tomorrow.

Rod
Sorry to hear this, Rod, I can appreciate how frusrating it must be. I can only guess that either the mirror is sticking and not raising or the image is failing to transmit from the buffer of the card. Has anyone with a better technical knowledge got a better idea?

John

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 9th June 2008

Liked 85 Times in 36 Posts

Worryingly, my E-3 did the same for two shots on Saturday

I was using it on a tripod with the OM Zuiko 90mm f/2.0, RM-CB1 cable and anti-shock of 3 seconds. The camera was set to aperture priority with the lens at about f/11.0 and shutter speed somewhere around 1/4 second. After the two blanks I took out the RM-CB1, switched off anti-shock, opened up the lens and took another shot which was ok. Very strange

There was no battery warning and I've taken many shots subsequently on the same batteries (HLD-4 fitted). I have had no further problems with any shots, including using the RM-CB1 and anti-shock but an OM macro lens has been on it the whole time so I need to try it with a digital lens to confirm autofocus and other lens communication is working.

I hope you get a swift resolution to your problem.

Cheers,

JohnGG
Old 10th June 2008
Rod Souter

Thanks for the replies, somehow I don't think that 'swift' is in the Olympus vocabulary. Particularly if it has to go on its summer hols to Portugal
I suppose I need to learn how to use my recently purchased E-1

Rod