Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 9th April 2010
Kiwi Paul

Camera body or lenses??!!

I've been out and about recently with the E3 and the 14-42 and 40-150 kit lenses and possibly having the most fun photographing I've had for a long time.
With the kit lenses I don't expect too much, after all they are just "kit lenses" but they are compact and light and so easy to use and with the lovely ergonomics of the E3 photography has never been so much fun.
It's hard to describe but I feel under no pressure when using this kit, if it works that's fine and if not well who cares there's no expectation, when using the SHG lenses I feel almost an obligation to produce something good, silly I know but all that investment etc... but with kit lenses well "who cares", the irony is I produce some of my best work, well compositions anyway with the kits, sometimes the quality is lacking (the detail, resolution, contrast etc) because of the compromise of the lenses but other times I'm delighted with the shots and wonder if the SHG investment was a good idea after all. But there is one factor I never question or doubt and that is the E3, I love that camera, the size, weight, feel, ergonomics and useability of it, I wouldn't trade it for anything, maybe an E30 at a push but no way for the smaller bodies, in my books the E3 rules and that's one investment I'm glad to have made.

So I guess my point is what would I sacrifice if I had to? Well I think I'd keep the E3 and stick with the kit lenses, for me photography is about enjoyment and not just purity of the image, while I can appreciate the quality of the good glass a functional camera body that I feel at home with gives me more pleasure than good glass with a compromised camera.

Paul

Last edited by Kiwi Paul; 10th April 2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 9th April 2010
Administrator

Liked 1,580 Times in 910 Posts
Talking Re: Camera body or lenses??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofmix View Post
I've been out and about recently with the E3 and the 14-42 and 40-150 kit lenses and possibly having the most fun photographing I've had for a long time.

Paul
In which case I'll buy the 14-35 off you

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 10th April 2010
forester

Re: Camera body or lenses??!!

Quote:
for me photography is about enjoyment and not just purity of the image, while I can appreciate the quality of the good glass a functional camera body that I feel at home with gives me more pleasure than good glass with a compromised camera.

Paul
And for me it is just getting out and seeing those wonderful thing there are in nature, If i get a very good shot ok but like many a time you don't quite get it right (in your eyes) but if you have enjoyed doing it, that is what it is all about, pure enjoyment of my hobby.
Richard
Old 10th April 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post

I'd join the queue too. That's a cracking lens.

Old 10th April 2010

Liked 127 Times in 69 Posts

I'll have the 90-250mm

Steve
Old 10th April 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post

Damn thats the one I want, as it will go nicely with the 35-100mm I have just bought
Old 10th April 2010
forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckdiver View Post
I'll have the 90-250mm

Steve

Far to heavy for you, I would give it a good home though
Old 10th April 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forester View Post
Far to heavy for you, I would give it a good home though
I have to admit my 90-250mm has only been out on a couple of occasions due to the weight of the thing
Old 10th April 2010
forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-3 View Post
I have to admit my 90-250mm has only been out on a couple of occasions due to the weight of the thing
I have the perfect thing for those heavy lenses it is a gimbal mount made in India but a fraction of the cost of the Wimberley version.
I used it when I had Canon kit, (sorry for the swear word ) now those lenses were heavy.
If you are doing fast moving sport, wildlife or anything that requires stability this bit of kit is fine, so if anyone wants to donate either the 90-250 or the 300mm I could make use of it again.
Regards
richard
Old 10th April 2010
Kiwi Paul

If anyone's interested here's a comparison between the 14-42 kits lens and 14-35 SHG lens and 40-150 kit lens and 35-100 SHG lens.
All comparison shots were taken at the same ISO and aperture and same exposure although on some shots the exposure did vary by about 0.5 stop and I compensated in PP, all RAW and processed in LR3 beta 2.
Shots are not in any lens order, see if you can decide which is which.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Woofmix/LensComparison#

Paul
Old 11th April 2010

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
If anyone's interested here's a comparison between the 14-42 kits lens and 14-35 SHG lens and 40-150 kit lens and 35-100 SHG lens.
All comparison shots were taken at the same ISO and aperture and same exposure although on some shots the exposure did vary by about 0.5 stop and I compensated in PP, all RAW and processed in LR3 beta 2.
Shots are not in any lens order, see if you can decide which is which.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Woofmix/LensComparison#

Paul
Paul, I've looked at them all and my ancient eyes can't tell the difference. I've no doubt that others will see a vast improvement in the SHG ones, but I have a feeling that they might be the owners of the more expensive lenses!

Bob
Old 11th April 2010

Liked 134 Times in 50 Posts

I've also looked, and I can't see any appreciable difference!

Are the 14-42 and 40-150 kit lenses the same as I got with my e520? If so, I can't fault them!

I'm going to have to Google SHG lenses, as that went waaaaay over my head!

Janet
Old 12th April 2010
Kiwi Paul

The SHG lenses are the top pro Zuiko lenses while the kit lenses are the ones supplied with the camera bodies such as with your E520.

The differences for most part are undetectable in the samples I have posted, (mind you at web resolution it would be hard to spot any differences anyway), but that's my point, the kits perform remarkably well and for most part using mid range apertures in good light it's hard to tell them apart. Even viewing the originals files on my 22" screen any differences were still minor and I had to enlarge to 100% before they became really apparent.

Don't get me wrong the SHG lenses are very good, both in performance and build quality, they are fast and weatherproof and do out perform the other lenses without question, just at a price and they are large and heavy.

Paul
Old 12th April 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I suppose it all depends on the work you intend to do. If you're planning to use your gear in a wet or dusty environment, with a risk of the cameras and lenses receiving a accidental bump or two, then that heavy investment in pro grade kit would be fully justified.

When used at their optimum aperture and in ideal conditions budget lenses can often equal their more expensive brethren in optical performance, but if you really need f2 to capture an image in challenging conditions then SHG glass would be the logical choice.

Jerry.