Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus

Lens focus The place to talk about your camera's glassware.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12th September 2017

Liked 505 Times in 263 Posts
Lens (and other bits) help

Hello everyone.

My first post ... and yes, it's questions

Hopefully, it won't be too long (especially if Olympus can find it in themselves to give the UK the same offers as they give the US) before I pull the trigger and go for the Olympus E-M1 ii.

My proposed kit will be -
E-M1 ii
2x Lexar Pro 1000 cards
Oly 60mm f2.8 Macro lens (a must have)
Any comments regarding the above are welcome.

And this is where my mind is not yet made up .... and you may be able to help -

1 - I feel that the Oly 12-100 f4 Pro would suit my purposes best, mainly for its versatility, but I can't help keep thinking about the 12-40 f2.8 Pro (I think mainly because it's 2.8, smaller and lighter....cheaper too). Any points of view, help or advice (or even alternatives) would be more than welcome.

2 - The Olympus 70-300 - sorry that should say M4/3 75-300 seems ideal for me regarding focal lengths (and especially price) to start me off. (I have been used to 300mm (= 450 FF) on my existing cam so going to 300 (=600 FF) on the 4/3 is a decent jump for me .... for now. My problems are -
a - I have seen quite a few comments on forums regarding people having to change this lens two or three times before finally getting a good copy.
b - According to a couple of professional reviews I've read, (and it is has also been complained about in some forums), the E-M1 ii has a really nasty bug when using the 70-300mm - 75-300Olympus lens. When using at telephoto it apparently completely disables IBIS when it is focused on close objects (the lowest focus distance). Any thoughts/experiences or advice regarding these reported problems with this lens (or suggestions for alternatives with a similar range) is again most welcome.

3 - Has anybody got any advice, from experience, regarding the best screen protector for the E-M1 ii. I've seen the glass ones on Amazon which seem good but again, any experiences/advice gratefully received regarding quality, fitting, screen closing with protector on etc..

A little info to help - I take pictures of mainly wildlife, scenery and macro insects/flowers etc. but when on holiday in various countries I will also shoot inside buildings, markets, on streets and anywhere else I find myself or where organised tours take me. I do not want to have various prime lenses because walking along in towns or country, things will appear both near and far so there is no time to keep changing lenses. Video is not an issue as I may only take a couple of panorama style vids per year whilst on holiday. I want to cover maximum ranges with the minimum of lenses.

I don't think I've missed anything but I'm sure someone will put me right if I have. Thank you for managing to get this far without falling asleep :-}, and I look forward to any and all replies.

Kind regards

Keith