Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference

Camera conference General and model-specific E-System camera chat.

Old 16th November 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Fire flash midway through long exposure... how to...?

Hi All

Technical question re firing flash during longer exposure.

I am wondering if someone can advise me on this please. How do I get the E-3 to fire the FL-50 mid way (or at any time, beginning or end) within a longer exposure...? Can this be accomplished...?

Say I wanted to get a shot of the dogs running, but to show some motion blur and wanted to fire the flash at the start, which would freeze the motion, but then wanted to see some movement by exposing normally for say another 1/5th second etc... how would I do this?

Old 16th November 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Fire flash midway through long exposure... how to...?

Would suggest using shutter priority mode for the lengh of exposure. AS for flash, there should be several setting in the camera menus, on or first curtain will fire at the begining of the exposure. There should also be a second curtain flash option which fires just before the shutter closes. The second being the best option for a running dog, to get the blur trailing behind. Oh keep the camera still, so the bur of the dog is captured not the trail of backdrop.
Old 16th November 2008

Liked 127 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Hi All

Technical question re firing flash during longer exposure.

I am wondering if someone can advise me on this please. How do I get the E-3 to fire the FL-50 mid way (or at any time, beginning or end) within a longer exposure...? Can this be accomplished...?

Say I wanted to get a shot of the dogs running, but to show some motion blur and wanted to fire the flash at the start, which would freeze the motion, but then wanted to see some movement by exposing normally for say another 1/5th second etc... how would I do this?
As Photonutter says, you can set the flash to trigger on the front curtain or the rear curtain. Front curtain will give blur in front of the subject whilst rear curtain will give blur behind the subject (as for photographing car rear light trails).

When using flash there are always two exposures; a long one (background) dependant on the shutter speed and the aperture and a short one (foreground), dependant on the flash duration and aperture. The later "sits on top" of the first.

It is not possible (as far as I know) to fire the flash mid exposure, it would require a time delay being set from the start of the exposure. I guess this could be implemented in firmware but not sure if such a feature would be of any benefit over the two options above.

Steve
Old 16th November 2008
Administrator

Liked 507 Times in 281 Posts

Dear Dear - John .. this one really is an RTFM posting from someone of your calibre ... I thought you had memorised it all

If reading the manual is too boring ( and It's not the best feature of the E system we all admit) then there is a nice summary paragraph on this on the excellent wrotniak site http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e500-rev.html#FLASH

Regards
Andy
FL20, FL36 x2 , FL50, cactus slaves etc.
The Boss (Mrs Shenstone) E620, EM10-II, 14-41Ez, 40-150R, 9 cap and whatever she can nick from me when she wants it

My places
http://www.shenstone.me.uk
http://landroverkaty.blogspot.com/
https://vimeo.com/shenstone
http://cardiffnaturalists.org.uk/
Old 16th November 2008
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

Hehe Andy - it seems I had a mental block about this situation, and just couldn't figure it out in my mind as to how one would go about doing this.

Of course... curtain flash (front or rear) is the now obvious solution...

d'oh...

Old 16th November 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,581 Times in 911 Posts

To get the flash to fire at a point between the shutter opening and closing will require a timed delay trigger. I have built these from kits and they work very well. A sound activated one will trigger from the sound of the mirror/shutter activating then fire at a preset delay.

Another way is to simply use your own reaction time, to fire the flash manually on hearing the shutter activate. It's not consistent, but that's part of the fun

You will of course need to use the external flash.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...