Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 26th December 2018

Liked 3,199 Times in 1,728 Posts
Almost a Christmas Lunch Disaster

We have had some near disasters with the family Christmas Day lunch some years ago. I can't remember all of them but the final one, so far, was the with door hinges of our double built in oven snapping on Christmas Eve. My brother was then a mechanic and welded a repair.

We got Hoover double to replace that in December 2008, it think due to the fan failing. Anyway, were are always a bit nervous about ovens in late December. Yesterday went OK, if you don't count the family playing up.

This evening, my wife was cooking some unused sausage trimmings. The oven was heating up. Suddenly, I noticed a distinct lack of lights on the double oven. The fuse was found to have blown.

Having fitted a new fuse, I switched the ovens back on, I expected the second fuse to blow but it did not. The conventional oven had full function. The fan oven power light was on. The thermostat was clicking but there was no heating and the heating light stayed on whatever we did except turning the control to off. The fan was working so it must have been the element burning out.

I am now trying to locate an oven of the same model and colour to fit the cavity.

Harold
Jax (28th December 2018), TimP (26th December 2018)
Old 26th December 2018

Liked 708 Times in 481 Posts
Re: Almost a Christmas Lunch Disaster

Quick question... what on earth are “unused sausage trimmings”??? I’ve never felt the need to trim a sausage? (no Jewish jokes please) let alone put them aside for possible use later. The mind boggles!

That aside, about 10 years ago our oven element failed on Xmas eve, toddled off to local domestic appliance shop and had to pay £60 for a new one. Had no choice, no option to go elsewhere as it was Xmas eve and they were only place open with the right thing in stock.
Normal (non-Xmas eve!) price was £30 which isn’t exactly cheap either. ********. Damn, it censored the unmarried parent word again!
Old 26th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
Quick question... what on earth are “unused sausage trimmings”??? I’ve never felt the need to trim a sausage? (no Jewish jokes please) let alone put them aside for possible use later. The mind boggles!
It's what the supermarkets call "pigs in blankets" etc.

Harolsd
MJ224 (27th December 2018)
Old 28th December 2018

Thanked 1,494 Times in 1,422 Posts
Liked 1,405 Times in 896 Posts

Commiserations on the cooking disaster. Our main oven blew the element on christmas day a few years ago so we had to use the smaller one (2 oven unit). Alas this has less power and struggled to reach a high enough temperature to cook the meat and roast potatoes. I bough a new element online a few days later (they are pretty universal) and fitted it myself.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Old 28th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
Commiserations on the cooking disaster. Our main oven blew the element on christmas day a few years ago so we had to use the smaller one (2 oven unit). Alas this has less power and struggled to reach a high enough temperature to cook the meat and roast potatoes. I bough a new element online a few days later (they are pretty universal) and fitted it myself.
Thanks. We have the upper, conventional oven fully functional. Just as well - I bought a huge pork roast before the failure.

It isn't worth fitting a replacement element as the temperature had already drifted by about 10 degrees and the upper one was not too accurate anyway.

I am trying to get a exact replacement as it lasted 10 years. Then we can see which of us burns out first.

The Chiminea may yet see action.

The smoke alarm failed today. It was giving a low battery beep but it refused to work with the fresh battery. The two main wires were broken internally but even sorting that did not restore function. The wire coming off the test meter just added to the fun. (I have a smaller, older alternative).

When there was a fire next door, about 3 years ago, the firemen gave us three smoke alarm packs. I have just fitted one to replace the dud and am in the middle of fitting the second one. Why does only one rawlplug hole go according to plan and the other make the plaster crumble, requiring filler?
Old 28th December 2018

You sound like you’ve having a jinx-tastic time!
Old 28th December 2018

Liked 210 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Thanks. We have the upper, conventional oven fully functional. Just as well - I bought a huge pork roast before the failure.

It isn't worth fitting a replacement element as the temperature had already drifted by about 10 degrees and the upper one was not too accurate anyway.

I am trying to get a exact replacement as it lasted 10 years. Then we can see which of us burns out first.

The Chiminea may yet see action.

The smoke alarm failed today. It was giving a low battery beep but it refused to work with the fresh battery. The two main wires were broken internally but even sorting that did not restore function. The wire coming off the test meter just added to the fun. (I have a smaller, older alternative).

When there was a fire next door, about 3 years ago, the firemen gave us three smoke alarm packs. I have just fitted one to replace the dud and am in the middle of fitting the second one. Why does only one rawlplug hole go according to plan and the other make the plaster crumble, requiring filler?
Sometimes it's just not worth getting out of bed in the morning

Jax
The Following User Liked This Post:
TimP (28th December 2018)
Old 28th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimP View Post
You sound like you’ve having a jinx-tastic time!
I love Christmas!

Harold
Old 28th December 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
I love Christmas!
Sadly, it would appear that Christmas doesn’t love you!
Old 28th December 2018

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,506 Posts

Christmas seems to be a favourite time for things electrical to go wrong. Years ago one of the elements in my parents' electric oven failed on Christmas day, and kept tripping the RCD. When I took the back off I found that there were two elements, and disconnecting the failed one allowed the oven to be used as normal, if somewhat slower than usual.

I seem to remember my mother abandoned plans for a Yorkshire Pudding as running on one element the oven just didn't get hot enough. I think we had to wait until early evening for the turkey to be cooked, so if we had waited for Yorkshire 'Pud it would have been New Year!

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
TimP (28th December 2018)
Old 28th December 2018

Liked 534 Times in 373 Posts

Back in the 60s the electric company fuse burnt out as the cooking time for the Christmas Dinner was being started. Fortunately it was replaced within an hour and doubly fortunately the main events were being preapared in an Aga.